Reef Central Online Community Archives

Reef Central Online Community Archives (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Middle Tennessee Reef Club (MTRC) (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=286)
-   -   Another T5 question (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1283401)

gflat65 01/01/2008 12:11 PM

Another T5 question

Jenn's tank has now been upgraded from the 20L to a 50 GC (pretty much the same as a 40B). I was going to use MH and VHO's, but have decided T5's are the best route for her tank. I'm looking at the 6 bulb Tek Light fixture from reefgeek. For bulbs, I was thinking (3)-ATI Blue Plus, (2)-UVL/URI Super Actinic 03, and (1)-UVL/URI Actinic White. This is primarily a softie tank with some zoas and LPS. Does this sound like a decent combination? I'm running (2) ATI Blue Plus, (1) UVL Super Actinic, and (1) UVL Actini White over the acans and like it a lot. TIA.

leshampton 01/01/2008 12:18 PM

If it helps, I only have 4 t5's on my 75 gallon tank and lps and sps in it. You may not need that much light. I have 1 white, 1 blue +, and 2 uv.

NeveSSL 01/01/2008 02:59 PM

Wait till I get my T5s in and I'll let you know in about 3 weeks... :lol:

I think that sounds like a good combination. It sounds like you pretty much already know that you like it. Maybe a safe bet would be buying an extra actinic white, just in case there is too much blue.

Brandon

gflat65 01/01/2008 08:05 PM

I was wondering if 4 would be enough... I've got one of the cheapo 4 bulb fixtures over it now and it doesn't seem like it is enough (one flat reflector for all four bulbs, placed closely together in the fixture). I know the individual reflectors will through more light, though... Hmmm.

brickbreaker33 01/01/2008 08:45 PM

I have the 4 bulb tek over my 65 and it's plenty of light. I'd tell ya the bulb combo if I had it memorized. :)

crumbletop 01/01/2008 10:03 PM

I agree that 4 bulbs with individual reflectors would probably be plenty for that tank. Then you could use the same bulb combo you have now.

If you go with six bulbs, I think the look you'll get will be quite blue (you are adding a blue + and an actinic to your current setup). If it were me, I'd drop one of the blue pluses and add an aquablue. You could order 7 bulbs (the six you mention, and an aquablue as the 7th) and then you could experiment.

Lint_Licker 01/01/2008 10:41 PM

Im using a 4 bulbs on a 50g with a single reflector, and its too much light for it, anything above halfway up bleaches. Im going to get 2 2 bulb units and spread it out some and hopefully this wont happen then. Im running 2 actinics and 2 12,000K ATI bulbs.

chadfarmer 01/01/2008 11:01 PM

a friend has a 6 bulb tek light over her 40 gallon breeder with almost the same bulbs and everything was bleaching

she ran the extra 2 lights on the sides for dust and dawn only

(we had to move the light 12 inches over the tank so stuff would live)

gflat65 01/02/2008 06:07 PM

I will drop back to 4, then, on her tank:). I wondered how much extra light the individual reflectors would throw... The 4 is a litte cheaper, too:).

Would 6 bulbs be too much for an SPS frag tank (40B, also)?

gflat65 01/02/2008 06:19 PM

One more... What is the consensus on Current Nova Extreme vs the Tek light? The Current Nova is cheaper, but there may be a reason...

gsusfreak 01/02/2008 06:42 PM

from what i've read gary...the nova's dont have individual reflectors....and thats the power of T5s....so i would say tek > nova

gflat65 01/02/2008 09:43 PM

I figured it had to be something like that... Tek's it is:).

Thanks all. Jenn's tank is rocking right now, so new color can only be good:).

NeveSSL 01/02/2008 09:44 PM

The new Novas have a single reflector bent into individual reflectors. In my opinion, it may be slightly less par, but I don't think the corals will care a whole lot. I think the Tek may do the same, anyway... one reflector with bends around each bulb.

I just saw the new Novas at Emerald Bay this evening and I think they look really good! I thought about getting one, but decided not to as I'm planning on getting dimmable IceCap T5 ballasts when they come out along with the dimmer module for my Aquatronica. :)

Brandon