Reef Central Online Community Archives

Reef Central Online Community Archives (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=212)
-   -   dropped Pinpoint salinity monitor in the water... (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1281539)

slojmn 12/29/2007 06:40 PM

dropped Pinpoint salinity monitor in the water...

I accidently dropepd my American Marine Pionpoint Salinity monitor in my reserve makeup saltwater bucket. I pulled it out immediately but, alas, it is bouncing all over the place with a reading after drying out for a few hours. I opened it up and dried things off, not to wet inside but wet none the less. Any chance it will dry out more overnight or is it toast. I am so mad at myself :(.

shyland83 12/29/2007 06:43 PM

if it doesn't, you might want to try rinsing it out with some RODI water to get the salt and minerals off, then let it dry for a few days before turning it back on. I dropped a cell phone in the water once and it wouldn't work. i soaked it in DI water then let it sit for a week and it worked fine. good luck.

spleen93 12/30/2007 04:17 PM

And make sure that you pulled the battery out of the meter too.

Spleen

mlehman 12/30/2007 05:04 PM

yup..I`d say rinse in RO and let dry..the salt from the water is conducts electricity and is causing the problems.

slojmn 12/30/2007 05:38 PM

Well, I cleaned it today with RO/Di water and I am now letting it dry out for a day and I will try it again tomorrow. I should have rinsed it right away...I may end up sending it back in for repair if it keeps bouncing around. I had myPinpoint Ph monitor repaired, basically the guts taken out and replaced for pretty inexpensive...$30-$40 as opposed to $100 for a new one.

mlehman 12/30/2007 05:57 PM

the longer the better for dry time..pull as much of it apart as you can to help it dry out

my daugter spill orange juice on a portable DVD player..I washed it out in a drinking fountain (road trip to Fla)..it was working 3 years later..so there is hope

snorvich 12/30/2007 06:19 PM

Removing the batter, then rinsing with RO water and then drying gently with a hair dryer might help. (saltwater eats up circuits)

jmchzn 12/30/2007 08:52 PM

DID THE SAME THING AND MINE WAS/IS TOAST

slojmn 12/31/2007 11:34 AM

Yup, I think it is toast. I can see a few solder points that are funkified by the salt water corrosion...apparent to my untrained eye. To bad. American Marine has always had great customer service and I am sure they will fix it right up for me.

slojmn 12/31/2007 08:18 PM

Talked with Lou over at American Marine. It turns out it wil be $90 plus shipping both ways to get it fixed...basically all new innards. I found it new for $103 so I ordered a new one and saved myself a trip to the Post Office and time packaging it up. It just wasn't worth it to get the old one fixed. I guess I will be more careful next time.

dsanfilippo 12/31/2007 09:24 PM

where did u find it for $103???

tkeracer619 12/31/2007 09:57 PM

I would scrub the circuit with 90% rubbing alcohol and a clean tooth brush.