Reef Central Online Community Archives

Reef Central Online Community Archives (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Reef Discussion (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Lime water/Kalkwasser pump help. (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1243428)

fishtk75 11/04/2007 04:44 PM

Lime water/Kalkwasser pump help.

I asked before and can not find my notes what you all said.
What pumps is there to pump from my Kalkwasser water to the sump upstairs 8 feet up.

Sk8r 11/04/2007 06:42 PM

probably a maxijet 1200 would do it, given a small line: maxijets are very tolerant of on-off switching. Problem is---a kalk reactor's drip line likes to be on the flat relative to the sump: it doesn't climb very well. That's why they call it a drip.

If your topoff is downstairs, can you possibly put the sump and kalk downstairs too? I have my whole support rig in my basement and it sure eliminates a lot of noise. All we hear upstairs is the gurgle of the downflow. I run mine off an Iwaki 100, on a 15 foot rise, and should have gotten an Iwaki 50...way overpowered.

But I believe that if you're only using the typical 1/4 locline drip line from the maxijet, it can make that rise: the bigger the line the harder the climb, and it pushes a 1/2 inch line up 4 feet with no problem.

fishtk75 11/05/2007 05:20 AM

[QUOTE][i]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11116607#post11116607 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Sk8r [/i]
[B]probably a maxijet 1200 would do it, given a small line: maxijets are very tolerant of on-off switching. Problem is---a kalk reactor's drip line likes to be on the flat relative to the sump: it doesn't climb very well. That's why they call it a drip.

If your topoff is downstairs, can you possibly put the sump and kalk downstairs too? I have my whole support rig in my basement and it sure eliminates a lot of noise. All we hear upstairs is the gurgle of the downflow. I run mine off an Iwaki 100, on a 15 foot rise, and should have gotten an Iwaki 50...way overpowered.

But I believe that if you're only using the typical 1/4 locline drip line from the maxijet, it can make that rise: the bigger the line the harder the climb, and it pushes a 1/2 inch line up 4 feet with no problem. [/B][/QUOTE]

I will try that thanks.

Anyone have more for me?

rcpilot44 11/05/2007 05:52 AM

I use a Litermeter 3 to pump up my Kalk from the basement. I set it to run for 8 hours a night to deliver 2 gallons which is my evaporation. No issues

DrBDC 11/05/2007 07:31 AM

I use a litermeter. I used a cole parmer before. Any peristaltic pump will work w/o having to worry about clogging/corrosion/etc. over a long term usage.

fishtk75 11/05/2007 05:20 PM

[QUOTE][i]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11119488#post11119488 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by DrBDC [/i]
[B]I use a litermeter. I used a cole parmer before. Any peristaltic pump will work w/o having to worry about clogging/corrosion/etc. over a long term usage. [/B][/QUOTE]

DrBDC,
I looked at a MSC supply book at work and got a Mityflex it is cheaper then the litermeter 3 by $190.
I got it today and it comes with differant size tubing and rollers to let pump how many ml/min you need.
It pumps a lot up to 29 feet.
Thank you for your help on this.