Reef Central Online Community Archives

Reef Central Online Community Archives (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   SPS Keepers (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   Amino acids. (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1163322)

chirocato 07/15/2007 11:16 AM

Amino acids.

For those who do or have done. I bought a bottle of Zeovit amino acids. What's the way most dose this stuff. Return pumps off?? Skimmer off?? Just add it directly and let it go. I'm using it primarily to increase sps polyp extension when feeding. I only feed my sps twice weekly. Do I only dose on the days I feed? Or should I dose daily. FYI I am being conservative by only dosing 1/2 the per gallon recommended dosages. TIA.

kkris 07/15/2007 11:43 AM

Dose in front of return or feed pump on feeding days. Start slow, if you have algae on your glass, cut back dosing. HTH

heretolearn 07/15/2007 10:49 PM

you can dose daily but dose VERY light . cant say a dosing i dont know your tank size .i dose AAHC daily 1 drop for a 170gal total .
works well for me .

ReefRockerLive 07/15/2007 11:28 PM

Remember to be patient and dose in small amounts, in time you may see results. I'm dosing the FM UltraMin S and within 2.5 weeks of dosing I began noticing much better polyp extension on some acros. Now I have great polyp extension on all acros.

jhebi 07/16/2007 01:22 PM

where can i get it? And does it really helps?

thanks

alex

ReefRockerLive 07/16/2007 01:25 PM

From my experience, it works if you don't rush it. Jhebi, I recommend trying the Fauna Marin UltraMin S which you can get a Aquarium Obsessed.

jhebi 07/16/2007 03:05 PM

Cool, will order and try it.....

Do you dose everyday, does it come with instructions?

thanks

alex

ReefWreak 07/16/2007 07:14 PM

I doubt that this is how to really do it, but I've been dosing Salifert's Amino acid supplement for a few weeks now. I just add 2 or 3 good squirts into the tank with the sump pump and skimmer off, like 30 minutes before I feed the tank cyclopeeze at night.

I do it every other night or so. The reason I don't measure the dosages is because I've heard that the nice thing about using AA instead of sugar or other stuff is that if you overdose, it just means you get more algae on your glass the next day. Also because salifert only suggest a 30ml dose for my tank size, but once a week, and most people dose every day.

I haven't noticed any difference in my corals or PE. They've been growing like crazy since I started doing 2part dosing, but short of that, not much else has been noticable. I'm getting a nice Deltec calcium reactor next week, so I'll see if that gives them another growth spurt, having consistent dripping of water vs. the current system which makes the alk and CA come in bursts. Sorry for the de-rail.

ReefRockerLive 07/16/2007 10:16 PM

jhebi, the bottle will recommend that you dose daily. Like ReefWreak mentioned, overdosing isn't really an issue since you only get algae growth overnight. When you first begin, dose with a salifert syringe because it is only 1 ml and your dosages will be more precise. Also, to slowly adjust your tank to the Amino Acids, dose about 30%-40% less than the recommended dosage, this way the change in the tank will be slow.

ReefWreak, as a suggestion, if you become more consistant with your dosages you may see a difference in both coloration and polyp extension. I was once inconsistant with the dosages, but when I became more dedicated to dosing daily, things changed for the better.

ReefWreak 07/17/2007 12:14 AM

Thanks ReefRockerLive. I'll see what I can do as far as making it more consistent. I don't think I'll get better PE anyway though because I've got dwarf angels.

brianbigoats 07/17/2007 12:58 AM

i dose KZ AA on my 90 2 drops per day i have insane PE you might also Try KZ CV with AA seem to work best together

Serioussnaps 07/17/2007 12:39 PM

Does anyone have the list of what is actually IN what you are dosing?

ReefRockerLive 07/17/2007 01:11 PM

Serioussnaps-Here's what's in FM's UltraMin S:

Contents:
Water
Glucose Monohydrate
Magnesium Sulfate
Potassium Chloride
Ethylene Acetate
Sodium Acetate
L-Arginin Hydrochloride
L-Histidin Hydrochloride
Taurine
L-Threonine
DL-Tryptophane
Glycine
DL-Valine
Thiamin Chloride 100 mg
Nicotinamide 1500 mg
Riboflavine 40 mg
Dexpanthenole
Pridoxine Hydrochloride 100 mg
Cyanococobalamine
Sodium Methyl-4-Hydroxybenzoate
More than 70 trace elements

:)

DankReefer 07/17/2007 03:44 PM

Anyone have any experience using the seachem amino acids? This is what my LFS stocks and i can get a good price on it.

espenlg 07/17/2007 04:15 PM

I'm dosing 10ml of Sailferts amino acids every other day on my 45gal.. Is that to much? I don't really have a alge-problem on the glass... Is that the only indicator of the right dosage?

ReefRockerLive 07/17/2007 09:59 PM

Espenlg, a common sign of overdosing AA is overnight algal growth. If your not getting that then, no it's not too much.

Serioussnaps 07/17/2007 10:41 PM

[QUOTE][i]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10357835#post10357835 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ReefRockerLive [/i]
[B]Serioussnaps-Here's what's in FM's UltraMin S:

Contents:
Water
Glucose Monohydrate
Magnesium Sulfate
Potassium Chloride
Ethylene Acetate
Sodium Acetate
L-Arginin Hydrochloride
L-Histidin Hydrochloride
Taurine
L-Threonine
DL-Tryptophane
Glycine
DL-Valine
Thiamin Chloride 100 mg
Nicotinamide 1500 mg
Riboflavine 40 mg
Dexpanthenole
Pridoxine Hydrochloride 100 mg
Cyanococobalamine
Sodium Methyl-4-Hydroxybenzoate
More than 70 trace elements

:) [/B][/QUOTE]

Thanks! At least they tell you whats in it as most dont.

Anyone tried dosing a little sugar with their AA's to prevent the algae growth. Someone mentioned sugar causing algal growth, but it is actually the other way around IME.

Obi-dad 07/18/2007 07:44 AM

[QUOTE][i]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10361724#post10361724 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Serioussnaps [/i]
[B]Thanks! At least they tell you whats in it as most dont.

Anyone tried dosing a little sugar with their AA's to prevent the algae growth. Someone mentioned sugar causing algal growth, but it is actually the other way around IME. [/B][/QUOTE]

Sugar is one of the ingredients in the Ultramin S - glucose monohydrate.

Onesaltydawg 07/21/2007 12:26 PM

Does anyone have any Chemistry info on AA's in the tank?

kev apsley 08/03/2007 02:12 PM

I tend to agree...I have been dosing FM"s Ultramin for about 3 weeks and I must say that I do see a definite increase in PE and color... You have to dose slightly lower than recommended amount then slowly raise it over time because you will get a cyano bloom if you dose too much at one time

RichConley 08/03/2007 03:50 PM

[QUOTE][i]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10361724#post10361724 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Serioussnaps [/i]
[B]Thanks! At least they tell you whats in it as most dont.

Anyone tried dosing a little sugar with their AA's to prevent the algae growth. Someone mentioned sugar causing algal growth, but it is actually the other way around IME. [/B][/QUOTE]

Snaps, you do realize that the 2nd (largest) ingredient in those AAs IS sugar, right?

Basically, its sugar, some epsom salts, and nitrate.

Flint&Eric 08/03/2007 06:23 PM

nitrate? far from, this is organic nitrogen...quite a difference.

RichConley 08/03/2007 06:27 PM

Not really.

Corals can uptake either, and just end up breaking down organic nitrogen into nitrate.

Flint&Eric 08/03/2007 06:54 PM

that's great and all, but the ingredients do not contain nitrate, they contain amino acids which are a form of organic nitrogen which are used for more than just corals...:rolleyes:

FoothillCorals 08/03/2007 07:37 PM

I would have to agree with Rich. Nitrate, ammonia, organic nitrogen what ever you are calling it they are all forms of nitrogen A.K.A. algae fertilizer.

I am using AAs and I am not sure if it really helps or not. Started using them 4-5 weeks ago. I saw a much bigger improvment when I started using it with Papone 2-3 weeks ago.