Reef Central Online Community Archives

Reef Central Online Community Archives (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Coral Propagation and Aquaculture (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=157)
-   -   Calfo's new book? (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1143741)

jelwyoming 06/17/2007 09:18 AM

Calfo's new book?

Back in January, I preordered Anthony Calfo's second edition of Coral Propagation. I was due out this month. Has any one seen it or heard anything about it?

michika 06/17/2007 07:54 PM

Who is publishing it? Where did you pre-order from?

Steven Pro 06/18/2007 01:06 PM

[QUOTE][i]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10160870#post10160870 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by michika [/i]
[B]Who is publishing it? Where did you pre-order from? [/B][/QUOTE] [url]http://www.readingtrees.com/sales_preorder_bocp.html[/url]

That webpage says the book due to ship next month (July).

jelwyoming 06/18/2007 05:20 PM

Thanks Steve, I asked Bob Fenner yesterday. He said that he'd recently talked with Anthony Calfo and had not heard an update. I looked at the web site the other day and didn't see the change in date that you pointed out. It originally said some time in June. This is great to hear! I can't wait to see this color edition.

skeeter-doc 06/19/2007 01:30 PM

will there be much of a difference between this book and the 1st edition?

plc001 06/19/2007 02:18 PM

September

I just received an update:

"Thanks kindly for your inquiry and your patience. We were estimating a July arrival for the book, but were given a wonderful opportunity to upgrade the new edition to hardcover at no extra cost to the pre-order customers!

The upgrade will take another 8-12 weeks. We are expecting a September arrival - give or take a few weeks. When we have a firm date on the shipping from the printer, we'll update you, my friend.

If the delay and upgrade do not suit you, please advise and we will make a prompt refund.

with kind regards,

Anthony"

jelwyoming 06/19/2007 06:45 PM

Thanks!
I received the same one today as well. I am looking forward to seeing soon!
For those of you that are interested in his books, check out this link. [url]www.readingtrees.com[/url]

Questin 08/10/2007 02:59 PM

Still a month away! I cant wait.

jelwyoming 08/15/2007 07:59 AM

Me too!

teamreefers 08/15/2007 08:16 PM

Just received an email that it has been delayed until late October.
Anyone else get this email?

plc001 08/15/2007 08:48 PM

Yep. "The delay is estimated at about 12 weeks (late October is the new projection... the texts have to travel literally by boat). I will personally be hand-signing and packing them immediately on arrival for you."

jelwyoming 08/16/2007 05:49 PM

I am sure that it will be worth the wait!

swannL11 08/16/2007 07:04 PM

I received same info, October shipping. One of the reasons for delay..."decided to have printed overseas".
UMMMM wonder how that sits with US printers. I know how it makes one, out of work printer due to outsourcing, feel.

Mr.Biggs 11/14/2007 11:33 PM

Any update on this?
Anyone get there book?

plc001 11/15/2007 08:18 AM

Hope this is ok:

From Anthony Calfo

"Cheers, my friends

You are receiving this email because you are waiting for my new Book of Coral Propagation, or we chatted about it (dealers, club interests, etc). If I am mistaken or you don’t want to be contacted by email, please simply hit reply, type Remove in the subject field, and accept my apologies.

To all those otherwise interested… an update! J

Above all… let me ask anyone who’s email address (on pre-orders) has changed or will change before Christmas, to send me your updated mailing addy for the new book. Regarding the ETA, please allow me to summarize (though yes… by the grace of God it looks like we will still get this book before Christmas):

- it takes about 3-4 months to get a finished book from production, through pre-press to (body text) print, and then off to the bindery for covering
- after shipping (surface by truck and/or slow boat – literally - from overseas), we have to clear customs and then process the orders
- when we changed printers and upgraded the text (no extra charge to pre-order folks) to hardcover this past summer… it gave us a new ETA of Oct. 29th for the book to get to Los Angeles [it then has to truck to PA state for me to sign and send the pre-order copies]
- everything in the production sequence went smooth until the printed text got to the bindery. The bindery overscheduled and my new book sat in queue… delayed by another month. Arghhh!
- the pre-order folks and friends, myself… and now the dealers are chomping at the bit to get their hands on the book (good heaven’s… the Amazon.com prices on used copies of my first edition of this book are ridiculous! Flattering but ridiculous J)!
- Some dealers have begun to promote and take orders for the book… but note: all books come directly to me first, and all pre-order folks will get their books first! Mailers are sitting and ready to be posted immediately on the books’ arrival (and my signing them while hopped up on joint medication for a few days… ha!)

I dearly appreciate your patience and your reef hobby/science support. To reiterate… all pre-order folks get their books first (variously at the mercy of USPS holiday mail… but priority over days nonetheless).

We are now gunning for mid-December to ship the new edition. If you have any questions at all… please don’t hesitate to ask.

I will continue working on the new magazine in the interim and doing a bookless book tour <G> at volunteer, hobby club events and coral propagation workshops.

with kindest regards, Anthony"

Daemonfly 11/17/2007 06:34 AM

While it would be nice to have it already, I don't mind due to the upgrading he's done to the book, and hopefully it will be worth the wait.

skeeter-doc 11/19/2007 04:36 PM

So really, what will the difference be, between this book and the first edition?

chrismhaase 11/19/2007 09:26 PM

I told my wife tonight I wanted this book for Christmas, and she made me buy it for myself. When I was done paying for it she said "Merry Christmas." Bah humbug.

jelwyoming 12/10/2007 02:46 PM

The major difference is supposed to be that this one will have illustrations/photos.

jelwyoming 12/11/2007 02:07 PM

Well, it is mid-December. Has anyone heard if the book will meet the last delivery schedule?

michika 12/11/2007 05:05 PM

I'm getting tired of waiting on the book. I passed up picking up a previous version thinking my copy would be arriving soon.

Has anyone heard any updates, other then the email posted above?

icy1155 12/11/2007 08:04 PM

I heard from Anthony himself on a different form that it will definatly be shipped before xmas

michika 12/11/2007 08:45 PM

Here is hoping. I hope that shipping before x-mas also means arrival before x-mas.

diverdick 12/12/2007 09:20 PM

Seems as he may be running out of slow boat time............honestly, I am the patent type........really

If he stands a chance to deliver in the next twelve days, he better get busy - IMHO

jelwyoming 12/13/2007 01:46 PM

I pre-ordered mine clear back in February. Those corals that I was waiting on fragging are more ready now.