Reef Central Online Community Archives

Reef Central Online Community Archives (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tridacnid Clams and other Mollusks (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   clam not oppening much... (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1123387)

Green Thumb 05/17/2007 10:31 PM

clam not oppening much...

OK. I just recently baught a crocea and placed it right beside a derasa that has been doing well in my tank for many months.

The problem is the derasa is barely oppening up ever since I introduced the crocea. The new clam is doing good and oppening well.

The derasa is barely oppening for a few days now.

As Im writing this I notice also that a montipora dig. is growing right over it and is slightly covering the clam from direct MH light. It still gets quite a bit of mh light from reflection off the glass.

Also Ive just reduced my MH photo period to 3 hours a day.

Also, Ive placed this clam in a monti cap that was encrusting the bottom, would direct contact with the coral be bothering it? It was doing fine like this for a while?...

I recently added a schuran jetstream 1 calcium reactor (a round 1 month or so) and all my params are as stable as they have ever been. My acoporas are growing like never before:D

All tests are salifert..

Alk 10dkh

Ca 420

MG 1500

PH solid @ 8.0

Salinity 1.025 using a calibrated refractometer, no fluctuations asured by ATO.

I have pyrams in the tank that are ONLY interested in snails. No pyrams visible on either clam.

I feed freeze dried cyclops eaze every 2 days.

I also feed paponne once a week.

Sorry for the long list of details but I figure this is the best way to get accurate help.

Something tells me its probably the reduced light but I would like to get your word on this. My experience with clams is very limited.

Thank you in advance for reading al of the above and helping:)

mbbuna 05/17/2007 10:59 PM

why is your MG so high? what are you adding to get it that high?

what fish do you have?

Green Thumb 05/18/2007 07:51 AM

Reactor with fauna marin Mag plus.

Green Thumb 05/18/2007 05:26 PM

The clam at this point is barely open. Ive increased my MH photoperiod to 5 hours a day under venture 5 k.

The clam is just oppened a bit and when I go to grab it it shuts completely, so its still alive.

Also I should mention I just recently had a temp spike. It went up to 86-87f. I experienced bit of tissue loss on one of my acropora colonies. All else seems unafected..

The fish that I have in the tank are 1 sailfing tang, 1 kole tang, 3 chromis, 4 lyretail anthias and a bellus angel.

I noticed today that my crocea has a few pyrams on it, as mentioned before, the clam came in clean but I do have quite a few pyrams in my tank that didnt pray on my derasa, just on snails. (which is weird considering the derasa is the one with problems right now) This I know for sure because Ive examined it VERY throughly. Unless of course the pyrams hide inside that clam..

Thank you very much for your help.

mbbuna 05/18/2007 07:59 PM

sit far back from the tank for a few hours and watch the angel