Reef Central Online Community Archives

Reef Central Online Community Archives (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=139)
-   -   What next? Centerpiece fish question!! (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1276142)

Djm9288 12/20/2007 10:25 PM

What next? Centerpiece fish question!!

Hey everyone,
I have a 150g Tall FOWLR, with 2 maroon clowns, a coral beauty, and a yellow tang. I was just wondering what else, if anything would you recommend fish-wise. Id love to have a nice focal point, or centerpiece fish. What would you all suggest? I just like to get other inputs. Thanks! -Dan

Jerry W 12/20/2007 11:46 PM

You could go with one of the hardier butterflies but you may have problems with the tang initially. Another thought would be a small harem of fairy wrasses. The tank is certainly not overstocked so you have some options.

reeferaddiction 12/21/2007 01:11 PM

emporer angel

RayAllen 12/21/2007 02:03 PM

Harlequin Tusk

H^2 Salt 12/21/2007 02:25 PM

I dont think i would put any LG angels in a high tank like yours(though i dont know the foot print of your tank)...same thing as not putting something in lets say a 75 but then people think if they get a 90 it would work-basically the same tank as far as swimming room is concerned and in the wild lg angels have territories that are hundreds of square feet....prob bigger than your house....lol

H^2 Salt 12/21/2007 02:27 PM

A H. Tusk would be a nice addition...make sure to get a healty one that is eating and everything if u chose that fish-also to get one from australia----better survival rate and are usually more vibrantly colored

ejrabekoff 12/21/2007 02:53 PM

You should not get a big large angel in the 1st place in that tank, especially not an emporer angel. A harlequin tusk fish sounds good.

crazedpuffer 12/21/2007 04:25 PM

By a juvenile emp and let it grow!
Puffers are always fun. Maybe a school of bannerfish?

DamnPepShrimp 12/21/2007 04:45 PM

And then what? When it out grows the tank in no time, sell it back to the fish store? I don't see a point in that, but many people do it, I just don't get it.

H^2 Salt 12/21/2007 04:54 PM

Good point DamnPepShrimp...raise the fish so it will learn to know you and then develop those gorgeous adult colorations and then just give him to your LFS for some cheap ### store credit.....eeehhh

:thumbdown

95Harley 12/21/2007 05:24 PM

Agreed, Tusk or a Red Coris Wrasse. I have them both and love them both. I would also say a Golden Moray eel. But I have an eel fetish.

hybridgenius 12/21/2007 05:40 PM

Get a MONKFISH or STRIPER.

H^2 Salt 12/21/2007 05:43 PM

striper....yeah....go grab your hatteras heaver and head down to corolla or anywhere on HI...there everywhere this time of year.....lol..hope u have a big tank-well pool...i guess a hot tub would work for awhile just dont turn the temp up:lol:

lesleybird 12/21/2007 11:03 PM

Hi, What are the measurements in your 150 gallon tall? I would think you could put a smaller large angel like a majestic that only gets to 10 inches or so in there. Angelfish are not the fast swimmers that tangs are. Lesley

hybridgenius 12/22/2007 01:16 AM

My striper does well in my backyard saltwater pond LOL. They dont need warm waters and they love dirty water. I feed them lionfish all the time.

reefer334 12/22/2007 01:48 AM

I agree either a Majestic angel or a Red Sea Regal Angel.Or try a Hummu Hummu Trigger or a Rectangle Trigger.Red Coris like mentioned above would be sweet to ,I have one and it is an awesome fish,even lets me pet him when my hands are in the tank!!!

lesleybird 12/22/2007 12:29 PM

[QUOTE][i]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11437314#post11437314 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by reefer334 [/i]
[B]I agree either a Majestic angel or a Red Sea Regal Angel.Or try a Hummu Hummu Trigger or a Rectangle Trigger.Red Coris like mentioned above would be sweet to ,I have one and it is an awesome fish,even lets me pet him when my hands are in the tank!!! [/B][/QUOTE]

From what I have read the Regal angelfish often are very delicate and often have poor survivability records. I have had two Majestics and as long as you get one that is eating from the start they have been very hardy for me. With any large angelfish purchase make sure you see them eat at the store. The first one I had for three years until he got poisioned by some contaminant in some RO-Rite marine buffer that killed a whole tank of fish overnight. My new one I have had for about 5 months and he survived through a nitrite spike a few months ago while I was on vacation (was not there to moniter tank) and the tank was only 2 months old. I now have him in my 190 gallon with a Scribbled anglefish and a few other fish. Lesley

DamnPepShrimp 12/22/2007 12:41 PM

IMO no large angel should be kept in a 4ft tank. I belive a 150 tall is just a taller 120 (48x24x30). Red coris wrasses get like a foot long, to small too. A tusk wouldn't be a bad suggestion. It's hard to have a big nice fish for a FO tank in a 4ft long tank, most fish need 6ft atleast of swimming length.

Kahuna Tuna 12/22/2007 12:49 PM

[QUOTE]IMO no large angel should be kept in a 4ft tank. [/QUOTE]

I agree, no Pomacanthus or Holocanthus would be a good idea on a long term basis. You could go with one of the medium size angels; regal, flagfin, goldflake, meridithi, blueline, ect. Most of these dont get much past 6-7 inches and would be an awesome centerpiece.

RayAllen 12/22/2007 03:49 PM

I think The Harl Tusk has won this discussion

Djm9288 12/22/2007 07:29 PM

alrighty....well thanks to everyone for the numerous responses! I think Im definitely going to look into the Harl. Tusk, such a beautiful fish. In addition Im thinking about a convict tang as well? Any thoughts on that? I just have a real liking to them. Are there any smaller or medium fish you would recommend for character?