Reef Central Online Community Archives

Reef Central Online Community Archives (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fish Disease Treatment (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   heavy breathing -no signs of infection what could it be? (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1287174)

hottuna 01/06/2008 07:29 AM

heavy breathing -no signs of infection what could it be?

Gill Flukes ???? they scratch once in a while too....if it was bacterial i suspect the fish would be gone by now because it has been going on about 7 days......any thoughts?
fish have been in 1.010 sg for about 3 weeks ...

LargeAngels 01/06/2008 01:29 PM

What are you measuring sg with? Need something very accurate if you are attempting Hypo. If sg and all other parameters are OK. Then do a FW dip. Do it in a clear container and check for "dust" or "jelly" like creatures. If you see dust then they have velvet. Jelly like things means they have flukes. Neither of which are treatable with hypo. Copper kills velvet and Prazipro works on flukes. Copper does not work on flukes.

Sk8r 01/06/2008 01:39 PM

flukes maybe. Ich in the gills maybe. Can you possibly lay fish out very briefly on non-grippy surface and get a strongly magnified look into the gill? Rough on the fish, but if you spot a jellylike thing it's a fluke and if you can't see anything it still could be ich...or velvet. Hard call. But if you can eliminate flukes as a possibility, you can treat with copper, which would get either velvet or ich. If you can't do that, I'd still just about bet on copper, because two things that are possibly wrong outnumber the one other thing it could be, and it would be a better shot at curing two possibilities with one treatment.
NOTE: There have been flukes turning up in CA. You don't say where you are.
CAUTION: you cannot combine treatments. You must slowly bring the fish out of hypo, like an acclimation, before attempting copper. And it must be done without carbon in the filter: the black side of those little filter packets is carbon.

billsreef 01/06/2008 03:19 PM

Flukes in a FW dip will turn opaque and fall off, making the dip container look like a snow globe if there are a lot of them. They can be quite common in fish from some wholesalers. If it is velvet, copper can be used during hypo with one caveat. You must raise the alkalinity to normal SW values. Hypo dilutes out not only the salt, but the buffer system and therefore lowers the alkalinity. Copper is more toxic at low alkalinity, therefore the problem with using it during hypo if you don't check and adjust the alkalinity to NSW values.

hottuna 01/07/2008 01:54 PM

what about seachem paraguard will it work on the flukes?

rlcline76 01/07/2008 07:15 PM

Before treating, are you sure it is flukes?
Occasionally, labored breathing can be from other things, as billsreef suggested.
I'm seeing that the tank is undergoing hypo...is it a QT? check your parameters, including ammonia.

hottuna 01/08/2008 07:12 AM

ammonia =0 nitrite=0 nitrate=10ppm

i suspect a secondary bacterial due to the damage of the flukes...

LargeAngels 01/08/2008 08:41 AM

Do the FW dip. That will tell you for sure if you have flukes. I've never used Seachem's Paraguard for flukes. Prazipro works so well I haven't experimented with others.

kzickovich 01/08/2008 08:44 AM

STUPID QUESTION BUT DID YOU CHECK O2

hottuna 01/09/2008 05:28 PM

no way for me to check 02...no such thing as a stupid question with me,kzickovich....all help/ideas appreciated...

large angels-can prazipro be used in the display tank without wiping out the biofilter?? (reef safe)

LargeAngels 01/10/2008 08:52 AM

I wouldn't worry about the Prazipro wiping out the bio, but I'm not 100% sure about Reef Safe. Some people have reported of using Prazipro in Reefs with no issues. But I haven't tried it.