Reef Central Online Community Archives

Reef Central Online Community Archives (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Vendor Experiences (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   LifeReef Filter Systems (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108483)

Squidman 08/21/2002 03:57 PM

LifeReef Filter Systems

LifeReef is involved in a small claims suit with a customer who is claiming that his LifeReef sump system is flawed. Here is how Jeff at LifeReef describes it:

Here is the situation:

1. Sump is running fine at the "water level" mark.

2. When the sump water level reaches the "refill" mark the customer adds water back to the "water level" mark and 10 minutes later the aquarium floods. Or, any water added, via his R/O setup will flood the tank, no matter where it is topped off.

3. R/O is manually operated, no float switch or control.

4. And, the water level in the built-in overflow is near the bottom. I mention this because the only way an aquarium can overflow is if the built-in overflow is also full of water.

If anybody knows how this might be happening, email LifeReef from the link on their website at

[url]www.lifereef.com[/url]

The LifeReef homepage describes what is going on.

I have LifeReef products and think they are top-notch. If any of you agree, let them know.

Flame*Angel 08/21/2002 07:10 PM

I have a full LifeReef system and I really can't see how the situation described could be at all possible.

BarryF 08/21/2002 10:53 PM

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Flame*Angel [/i]
[B]I have a full LifeReef system and I really can't see how the situation described could be at all possible. [/B][/QUOTE]

I was just reading that today when I checked to see if my system was up for fabrication. Coincidentally, it will ship on August 27. :D

Anyway, I find it impossible how it could be a sump problem when the overflow doesn't have any water in it. Seems bogus to me. Some idiot didn't think things all the way through.

Nanook 08/22/2002 03:42 AM

If the built in overflow is not full and the return pump is working, then a flood is impossible. I can add all the water I want to my Lifereef sump or to the tank, what happens? The water level in the sump rises to the volume of water I add, the tank can not flood with the overflow unobstructed. The sump would overflow first. I don't think this cat knows what he is talking about and it is obvious.

People will stoop to any level to get a free handout! Jeff is a great businessman and customer service rep...this should be an open and shut case in his favor.

Nanook

Flame*Angel 08/22/2002 05:50 PM

Hmmmmm, I don't suppose the guy has his sump at the same level or higher than his tank?

Squidman 08/23/2002 10:09 AM

Flame*Angel

That was the one thing that I thought too. But since he claims that the water level stays low in the built-in overflow, even that wouldn't make sense. There is no way the tank could overflow without the built-in overflow filling up first. Unless the guy made some modification, like capping the overflow, which is preventing it from filling up. Even then topping off in the sump should have no effect on water level in the tank. The sump could overflow, but not the tank. Of course if he capped it AND the sump is above the tank...