Reef Central Online Community Archives

Reef Central Online Community Archives (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Coral & Livestock Trading (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Sign ups for frag swap closed (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=634576)

nitrofish 07/21/2005 01:42 PM

is there any interest in a thermos zoo swap?

Ive seen a couple sites do a frag swap where you buy a cheap thermos and use it to ship a zoanthid frag to someone on the list via priority mail.

would anyone be interested in starting one here?

should I have put this in the livestock trading fourm?

SuperFishy 07/21/2005 02:03 PM

we did one here in march and i think its time to do another one

kbmdale 07/21/2005 02:06 PM

i want in on it, so how do we get it started?

BradL. 07/21/2005 02:06 PM

I am always ready to trade. I prefer to see the frags in advance.

SuperFishy 07/21/2005 03:18 PM

maybe a mod can move this into the Trading forum?

dymaxiun 07/21/2005 03:57 PM

Sounds like a plan.... I want in on this..

Crusty Old Shellback 07/21/2005 04:01 PM

I might join in as well. But as was mentioned, I'd like to see a pic or at least a description of the color of the zoo's. I'd hate to get something I already have.

I also think there should be some standard as to frag size/poylop count. If you want to make yours bigger, fine, but there should be a minimum of say 5, 7 or 10 poylops on the frag. Any other ideas?

rmhuntley 07/21/2005 05:18 PM

I"m in.

sbwood007 07/21/2005 06:55 PM

I would be interested also.

Nagel 07/21/2005 09:30 PM

[moved]

nitrofish 07/22/2005 12:35 AM

I'm definitely in, but keep in mind chances are you are not going to receive anything super rare.dont hold your breath for ppe's or blues. its mostly for the fun of it and for a surprise.

common rules are no brown/dull zoa's, make sure its a zoa you wouldn't mind receiving yourself. a min. polyp count should be 5 or more polyps.

who would like to start the list of participants? I'm kinda new to this so if someone has more experience please chime in.

bmac 07/22/2005 01:27 AM

I'm game.

rmhuntley 07/22/2005 01:30 AM

I started one on thereeftank.com and am also in one at nano-reef.com

nitrofish 07/22/2005 01:44 AM

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by rmhuntley [/i]
[B]I started one on thereeftank.com and am also in one at nano-reef.com [/B][/QUOTE]

would you like to take control of this one? sounds like you know how it should work.

rmhuntley 07/22/2005 02:10 AM

I"ll offer all the guidance that I can. I have 3 thermos' out at the moment, so I can't really afford to buy another one. I"ll go ahead and post the rules that I used for mine and the one at nano-reef, then we can decide if everyone's happy w/ them or we need to make some changes.

rmhuntley 07/22/2005 02:20 AM

Rules

ok, here are the rules that I used on thereeftank for my zoa swap.

1: Upon receiving the shipment you have to notify this thread--and you have 2 days to ship out the thermos, if you can't, just let us know...any delay delays the whole chain.

2: Don't send your ugliest frags--if we all keep faith and try to circulate frags that are actually nice and desireable, none of us will get stingy because "well, I didn't get a nice frag so I'm gonna send out an ugly one too"...this will be *much* more successful if we avoid sending out the uglies.

3: You might pay a little bit more than others based on whoever's sticker you chose (depending on distance), it's your responsibility but it won't be more than a dollar or two...PRIORITY MAIL SHIPPING only (this takes 2-3 days). I am providing the thermos, the box and stickers...all you have to do is put the frag in and tape it up, put the sticker and it'll be kosher. Shipping
is only to be done monday-wednsday.. that wayzoas aren't sitting in the post office all weekend.

If you know who is sending to you and perhaps want to buy a couple of their other zoos and/or shrooms...please go ahead. They're shipping to you anyway--but you will have to send them Paypal if that's the agreement.

Overall I think it will be a really easy and fun experience, and hopefully all of us will get something great.

Minimum of 5 polyps. the polyp maximum is based off of whatever fits in the thermos comfortably for the journey...and no requirement on mounted or unmounted. I find my zoos that are mounted healthiest.

NOTE: Please frag now and give the zoo some time to heal up.

Anything else anybody wants to add? ...

Crusty Old Shellback 07/22/2005 09:20 AM

Sounds good to me. I think you've covered all of the basics. The only thing we can do is hope that everyone is honest and sends out something nice. As you said, you may or may not get something rare. ;)

?, can we be put on the list more than once if we have several differnt colors of zoo's we want to trade?

I have a couple of nice colored ones to trade and would like to maybe be put in at a few different spots on the list. That way I'm not getting the same thing from the same person.

I'm assuming from what you wrote that there is one thermos with a stack of addressed stickers. The first person ships it all out w/ a frag. Next person picks a sticker from the stack and sends everything out with his frag. So on and So on until the last person who sends his frag back to the original starter.

Sounds like fun and I'm in.

Scribe 07/22/2005 09:50 AM

I think the rules rmhuntley posted are pretty good. The one thing I don't like is the chain. I think it would run better if we did it like the last one. Everyone gets paired up with two people, everyone buys two thermoses. You pick a specific day to ship and two days later everyone has two frags.

I think this is better then the chain in the simple fact that one person can hold everyone up. Depending on how many people are involved it could take a month or so to get some frags. I like the quicker way myself.

If no one else chimes in to set this up, I could probably do it.

nitrofish 07/22/2005 09:57 AM

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Scribe [/i]
[B]I think the rules rmhuntley posted are pretty good. The one thing I don't like is the chain. I think it would run better if we did it like the last one. Everyone gets paired up with two people, everyone buys two thermoses. You pick a specific day to ship and two days later everyone has two frags.

I think this is better then the chain in the simple fact that one person can hold everyone up. Depending on how many people are involved it could take a month or so to get some frags. I like the quicker way myself.

If no one else chimes in to set this up, I could probably do it. [/B][/QUOTE]

sounds good, it would cost a little more for the thermos, but at least you get to keep one after your done.

Scribe 07/22/2005 10:02 AM

Yes, that is the one drawback. You have to have or buy the two thermoses. You can fnd them pretty cheap though. I think the common campbells soup ones at walmart are like $3.

KING OF THE REEF 07/22/2005 10:52 AM

i would like to join in but i dont have any zoos large enough yet (2-3 polyps ing my frag tank) also i dont want to frag out my nice ones in my 2 displays (still kinda small colonies) I will keep an eye out for the good guys who send good stuff and the guys who out the ugly stuff

kbmdale 07/22/2005 11:12 AM

i posted earlier that i wanted in on this, i am so sorry, i must have been really distracted at the time because i misunderstood :( for one, i only have the dull browns :( and no frags yet, it is still fairly small (25p)

However, i do have some nice sized pink birdsnest frags if anyone is interested in a side swap.

im gonna keep watching this thread though, everyone please post pictures of what u get, id love to see how this turns out so that i can participate maybe in the next one. good luck you guys :)
Brianna:rollface:

celebrityovernight 07/22/2005 11:30 AM

i'm in
can you put me on the list? thanks

meemmoo 07/22/2005 11:56 AM

I've got one colony I can contribute to trade.

MinibowMatt 07/22/2005 12:04 PM

Im in on this too... Are we posting pics first? I like Scribes way the best as well. The only thing is I am going away for 2 weeks... when is this happening?