Reef Central Online Community Archives

Reef Central Online Community Archives (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Lounge (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Hawaiian Weddings (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1291333)

JokerGirl 01/11/2008 08:47 AM

Hawaiian Weddings

Anyone in here from Hawaii or know anything about good spots to have a Hawaiian wedding?

Matt and I have pretty much decided that it'll be much easier (and cheaper) if we "elope". So, I think we've made the decision to get married and honeymoon in Hawaii, and just have our parents fly out for the ceremony.

There's just too much that goes into planning a wedding, plus I don't feel like paying for people to get drunk (and I don't want Matt drunk the entire day), on top of remembering to invite everyone without having hurt feelings and blah blah blah....

A nice, simple, Hawaiian wedding seems like the way to go. I've been to Maui and Kauai several times and would really prefer one of these islands. Oahu/Hawaii are nice, but tend to lose the essence of Hawaii with how built up they've gotten.

pnosko 01/11/2008 05:57 PM

Don't everyone post at once!

BrianD 01/11/2008 06:08 PM

Congratulations!

I don't have any personal knowledge of how good they are, but I do know that every resort has wedding packages. I know I have seen several wedding cermonies at Waikiki Beach, usually just a few people and usually at dawn or dusk so they take advantage of the sunrise/sunset.

I would agree that Maui would probably be the best island for the ceremony. I would pass on Kauai. Although it does has some pretty beaches, it isn't as nice as Maui.

JokerGirl 01/11/2008 07:03 PM

Thanks Brian, I would have to agree that Maui is nicer than Kauai. When we went to Kauai the last time, we stayed in Princeville which was gorgeous. We love it because it was secluded and really quite majestic. At the same time, I remember really enjoying Maui when my parents took me about 8 years ago.

So it's really a toss up at this point. I was thinking Maui might be nice because Matt wants to go to Australia to dive the GBR before it disappears, and the Molokini crater is a nice snokelling spot. I figured he might really enjoy it.

The real big difference I've found between Kauai/Maui is that Maui is a bit easier to travel the island whereas Kauai is more secluded, so there's not as much to do.

I think I'd like to stay away from the larger islands though. We've got a friend that lives on Hawaii Island, but they are just a bit too populated for our taste.

kfisc 01/11/2008 07:12 PM

Congrats! I know nothing about points west of Montery Bay, but Mrs. Kfisc and I have often said that if we had it to do over again, we would have eloped. Good luck!

JokerGirl 01/11/2008 07:30 PM

My parents feel the same way Kfisc. My Dad made a good point today about weddings... you pay $100-$200/person to attend your wedding, and all you get back in return is a $20 toaster oven you never wanted in the first place.

Basically what he meant to say is there's no reason to pay that much money for a bunch of people that may not necessarily be a big part of your life. That's why we've decided to marry in Hawaii and maybe invite our 4 closest friends/family with us. It's more intimate. And like my Dad said.... the people that actually care will give you a gift either way.

crp 01/11/2008 07:33 PM

If I don't get a meal and dancing, you ain't getting a gift :D

JokerGirl 01/11/2008 07:42 PM

See :) Gifts shouldn't be conditional :)