Reef Central Online Community Archives

Reef Central Online Community Archives (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Reef Chemistry Forum (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   Randy stepping back from RC. (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1063441)

Randy Holmes-Farley 03/05/2007 12:24 PM

Randy stepping back from RC.

Six years ago, the owner of Reef Central asked me if I'd like to moderate a reef chemistry forum. The idea intrigued me. As today, I had at the time a high level of concern about misinformation in the area of reef aquarium chemistry. Unlike many other questions asked by aquarists, chemistry questions often have a single right and many wrong answers.

The hobby at the time abounded in parroted wrong answers, and were often made worse by manufacturers that either did not know or did not care that their products could not or did not do what they claimed. So I had a mission to try to help nonchemists sort through these issues in ways that would benefit them, their reefs, or their pocketbooks. The reef chemistry forum was a perfect venue, bringing the questions to me rather than making me sort through many forums on many boards looking for them.

To that end, I believe that the Reef Chemistry forum (and associated chemistry articles) has met my expectations. While there is still a lot of misinformation around, much has been improved. There is now a small army of folks that have suitable chemistry skills to decide for themselves the appropriate ways to deal with reef chemistry issues.

Likewise, there is a very strong small core of frequent contributors to the reef chemistry forum that is clearly able to help others use these tools to move forward. I am confident in their abilities to keep this chemistry forum strong.

With that in mind, then, I think it is time for me to move on to other projects. It is with a highly surprising level of emotion (for me) that I've decided to step back from moderating this forum and participating in RC. I'm not moving to another forum, just going to look to do something else with many freed up hours each day.

I've really enjoyed working with all of you!

Good luck and Happy Reefing. :)

Rockitmakr 03/05/2007 12:35 PM

Randy,
you have really been helpful to many of us, are you going to get out of the hobby too? I hope not & hope to see you in the forums from time to time.
You will be missed.
:beer:

JR719 03/05/2007 12:41 PM

Yes Randy, you will be missed. Are you going to pop in from time to time to give a little guidance?

skip0211 03/05/2007 12:48 PM

Randy,

I'm stunned !! You have saved me so many times it's scary. I can't imagine how much time you have spent helping all of us here at RC. Just know that no words can express my thanks to you for all you have done.

I've never had the pleasure of meeting you personally, but feel thru this forum your part of the family !!

Best wishes in everything you do ... Hope to see you here occasionally.

Skip Brushett

DrBDC 03/05/2007 01:09 PM

I sure hope we still see you here at times! I'm sure we'll be stumped on various problems that only you can answer or steer us in a direction.

Maybe people can learn to use the search function finally instead of asking you the same questions every day/week! :lol:
That or fork up the 20 bucks to a premium membership and better search function access. :D

Do you plan on still doing experiments and writing papers? I sure hope so because that's really gives me something to look forward to each month. Helps to offset the depression of writing a check to my office landlord the first of the month. :D

GraviT 03/05/2007 01:15 PM

Randy,

Your knowledge has guided so many towards the path of successful marine aquarist bliss. You will be greatly missed, but I wish you well in your future endeavors. Best wishes.

1SickReefer 03/05/2007 01:30 PM

Randy,

Sorry to hear this news, you have been a godsend to so many of us! I hope you make the best of your new found time.

Many wishes,
Jason

Lenny C 03/05/2007 01:58 PM

I too want to thank you for all the time you have put into the hobby and spreading you knowledge with all of us. You'll be missed, but I'm happy that you have reached your goal here at RC and wish you good luck in you next project.

Lenny

WaterKeeper 03/05/2007 02:39 PM

You can't step down leaving 37 unanswered posts. If you don't reconsider at once I will answer them for you and you will step down in totally discredited disgrace. :D

IndyReefMan 03/05/2007 02:50 PM

Randy,

Thank-you for the assistance that you have provided to me and the many other reefers that utilize this site. Is there anything that we can do to convince you to stay?

Hobster 03/05/2007 02:54 PM

Oh my!. Say it isn't so!

Thank you so much for all your help. I have learned more about reef keeping from your articles than any other source. I can not imagine how many hours you have devoted to helping us out.

I sure hope they keep a link to all your Chemistry Articles.:)

:thumbsup: And Happy Reefing

jgoodrich71 03/05/2007 03:06 PM

Although I don't post much in the chemistry forum, I have always found it a great source of information. Thank you for all the time that you have spent here.

UH_OH_5_OH 03/05/2007 03:06 PM

Tis indeed a sad day in Reef Keeping and for RC !

We...the bottom feeders......will be forever in your debt Randy !

Travis L. Stevens 03/05/2007 03:11 PM

Randy! What can I say? You've been single handedly one of the largest assets to the hobby. Fortunately, with the road you paved for new aquarists' successes, you can look back and see that the road is now a highway filled with eager minds. Whatever you do, please don't be a stranger.

trueperc 03/05/2007 03:12 PM

Very sad to see you leave, you've been a great help. But best wishes and good luck !

bertoni 03/05/2007 03:28 PM

I'll be very sad to see you go! Good luck in your future ventures! I'm sure you'll be successful.

boxfishpooalot 03/05/2007 03:29 PM

Well I wish you best of luck in life. Thanks for all the great articles and posts. :)

Will your online articles still be available?

BrianD 03/05/2007 03:55 PM

Thanks a ton Randy, you have been a shining star for RC.

racrumrine 03/05/2007 04:12 PM

Paraphrasing what they said on Antiques Roadshow, 'you sir are a National Treasure'.

Thanks for all your advice and support and best of luck!

Roy

Bebo77 03/05/2007 04:24 PM

I am sooo sad to see you leave RC...

i hope the other people can keep up with the threads like you did...

thanks for everything you have done.....

porky 03/05/2007 04:31 PM

Randy! You're a gentleman and a scholar!
Thank you for the countless hours you have spent here on RC answering all of our chemistry related questions!
You will be GREATLY missed. Yet I feel privileged to have benefited from all your knowledge!
You have truly been a BLESSING for me and my reef inhabitants!

jdieck 03/05/2007 04:36 PM

Randy... THANK YOU!! :sad1:

JellyTheory 03/05/2007 04:37 PM

Thanks for all of your help to everyone over the years and good luck!

-Chris

Mimbler1 03/05/2007 04:47 PM

Randy - thanks so much for all the effort you have expended on Reef Central. Without slighting any of the other great contributers to the forum, I really enjoyed the way you separated fact, theory, and speculation in your replies.

If it gives some meaning to your thousands of posts, I credit you with my understanding the alk/calc relationship that you explained countless times!

I hope you continue to participate on a recreational level,
Mike

Nanook 03/05/2007 04:48 PM

Randy, thank you for your contributions to Reef Central. You will be missed more than you know.