Reef Central Online Community Archives

Reef Central Online Community Archives (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Lounge (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Stuck in a rut... (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1289489)

xxaquanutxx 01/08/2008 10:18 PM

Stuck in a rut...

Hey yall...

Was wondering if any of the wise would chime in and offer some advice.

My Hubby and I found the perfect apartment to buy within the right price range, location, etc. We really would like to buy asap but need to save for about 3 more months before we have enough $$$.

The Predicament:

The hubby and I have also wanted to take a trip to a very special place and we have the opportunity to do so in Feb. But that means that we will have to postpone purchasing the condo for an additional month to make up for the $$$ that we need for the trip.

We dont know what to do. Not take the trip or take the trip. The worry we have is that someone will jump in and make an offer within that 1 month extra time period if we take the trip.

If we dont take the trip in Feb we dont know when will be the next time and/or even have the opportunity.

Ahhhhgg!:eek1:

A.T.T.R 01/09/2008 01:19 AM

take the house... a lil more important then a trip...

you will have plenty of time to take trips when your rich from being a tier 2 in the no slip shower mats golden partner program

what?

Trip 22 01/09/2008 06:42 AM

I vote for the house. Then you won't have to stress even more about making up for the money you spent on that vacation. Good luck in any decision you make :)

dinoman 01/09/2008 06:51 AM

:) I would also vote for the house as its a bit more limited, sure there might be other houses around but if this is THE place you want there isn't any replacing that if somebody sneaks in at the last moment and steals it away from you while you're off on a far flung trip (and believe me, the trip will probably be less enjoyable because you'll be worried about no having the opportunity at the house when you come back!).

On the other hand, the trip, it might be a once in a lifetime type thing but excluding any natural or man made disasters where ever you're planning on going will still be there years and years from now. You're both young, you both have many many MANY years to finally get around to that trip you never took because the house was a bigger priority ;).

TheBimbo 01/09/2008 06:55 AM

As a home owner- I'd say take the home over the trip... if you pass up this place who knows how long it will take to find another one... Unless you are having some serious second thoughts, in that case maybe "the right place" is still out there.....

[QUOTE][i]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11556264#post11556264 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by A.T.T.R [/i]
[B]take the house... a lil more important then a trip...

you will have plenty of time to take trips when your rich from being a tier 2 in the no slip shower mats golden partner program

what? [/B][/QUOTE]

;) they are not old enough to realize the importance of these no slip shower mats ... ............ .............. Yet that is ;)

Christy:rollface:

dc 01/09/2008 08:34 AM

I too would go for the house if I had the opportunity. There will always be time for another vacation. A small sacrafice.

Orchids 01/09/2008 11:14 AM

Take the house. You live in Grand Cayman, where can you go that it would be nicer, Cayman Brac?

MinibowMatt 01/09/2008 11:19 AM

take the trip.
Your young still(by the avatar at least), get out and travel see other stuff. Because soon after the house comes, remodeling, kids, and work... all which will preclude easy travel in the future...You will find another home.. may not be as quick, but dont settle, one always comes around...and always, the best one comes available after you sign on the one you thought you wanted...

joeychitwood 01/09/2008 11:20 AM

[QUOTE][i]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11557928#post11557928 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Orchids [/i]
[B]Take the house. You live in Grand Cayman, where can you go that it would be nicer....? [/B][/QUOTE] How about Minnesota in February?

Sk8r 01/09/2008 11:31 AM

House. A trip to the local beach or hills can be special if you have the attitude. And you'll have made a start on your future. The future can hold many more trips. Better mashed potatoes to fill your stomach now, than pie in the sky.

Aliie 01/09/2008 11:56 AM

Another vote for the house. After that you can save enough money to take that trip later.

kevy_kev1 01/09/2008 12:06 PM

take the trip.. once you own the house there wont ever be money left over for a trip (at least thats my case!)

On the other hand, why cant you do both? Get into a contract for the house so it cant slip out from under you, at least not easily, and tell them you cant settle for a few months.

xxaquanutxx 01/10/2008 02:21 PM

Thanks for all the input... it has been really helpfull to look at the situation from other perspectives.

I guess why the trip is so stuck up in my mind is because this place that we really want to go most probably wont be the same in time enough. And when it changes it will change in a major way loosing a lot of which many people value in visiting places like this.

I guess it wouldnt be such a hard decision to make if the trip didn't require much money... the whole trip is only $2,000 US including all the spending money... not a significant amount like a Europe trip.

The condo is the PERFECT, but I just learned of an uncle who ownes one in the same resort and I know how much he spent on it which is a lot less than what the other lady spent on hers and is adament on making a profit.

Ugh, Decisions

oz 01/10/2008 02:36 PM

Yeah take the house.

As for trip. You can come to Washington anytime, you can stay at my place if you'll let us stay at yours. We can coordinate the swap.

Is the condo far from beach ? And where is the Cayman Islands anyway ?

kevy_kev1 01/10/2008 03:16 PM

thats true.. any time you want to take a trip to beautiful south new jersey feel free to give me a ring and we can just swap houses for a few days, I wouldnt even charge ya!! :-)

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cayman_Islands[/url]

xxaquanutxx 01/11/2008 07:30 AM

[QUOTE][i]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11567474#post11567474 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by oz [/i]
[B]
Is the condo far from beach ? And where is the Cayman Islands anyway ? [/B][/QUOTE]

The shoreline is practically touching our door step...so no it is not far from the beach, it is on the beach.

The Cayman islands is about 500 miles south of Florida... a couple hundred yards south of Cuba.

We are very small and you can barely see us on a regular map...the island is only 27 miles long!

[img]http://www.islandbrides.com/maps/loc_cayman.gif[/img]

Orchids 01/11/2008 07:48 AM

[QUOTE][i]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11557974#post11557974 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by joeychitwood [/i]
[B]How about Minnesota in February? [/B][/QUOTE]

How foolish of me to forget Minnesota :o

I'm sure they would love to stop over here in NJ on their way up to the great North.

Nina51 01/11/2008 08:39 AM

take the trip. there were so many times gary and i would talk about taking a trip somewhere. it was never a money issue, it was more an issue of not wanting to board the dogs or having to worry about the horses while we were away. now he's gone and we'll never get the chance to lay on a beach or ride horses in the mountains, things we always talked about doing.