Reef Central Online Community Archives

Reef Central Online Community Archives (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   New to the Hobby (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=104)
-   -   Koralia Sucks (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1289638)

pallidamors 01/09/2008 12:51 AM

Koralia Sucks

For anyone here thinking of buying any koralia products...dont!! I had the koralia 2 for about 2 weeks and it began to make a terrible rattling noise. Now its even worse, its so damn loud I cant even sleep with the thing on! What a [profanity] product. Buyer beware

demonsp 01/09/2008 01:00 AM

This is a new one .I always disliked them as use for main flow for anything larger then a 60 gallon. Besides the lack of controll you get.

mbbuna 01/09/2008 01:03 AM

take it apart and make sure the little white nylon washer is on the bottom of the impeller

serum153 01/09/2008 01:04 AM

Did you try and get it replaced? Probably not. I love my 3 and will be getting more of these in the future. The # of negative reviews is completely out weighed by the price and positive reviews. Great ph and great customer service. Highly recommend them to anyone that can't afford tunze/vortech

mbbuna 01/09/2008 01:14 AM

ive had 4 #4's for a while now. one of mine clanked like that once and it was the washer missing like i said.

i have to agree on the customer service. when i got mine it was right when they first came out, they didnt have the deflector with them like the new ones do. i sent an e-mail asking about if i could get a deflector and got a response in 10minutes. no questions asked but how many do you want. get them two days later :thumbsup:

HABS#1 01/09/2008 01:20 AM

Our K1 and K2 in our 31 gal have been great and we are running a nano in our kids 10 gal reef tank. I have nothing but great things to say about them and with the deflectors you can control the flow better than without.

JediReefer 01/09/2008 01:30 AM

Another vote on the positive side. IMO they are the only alternative to tunze. And I think the vortech is in a league of its own.

We are talking about a $30 ph here, I think the build quality, flow, and service is ridiculous for that price. Cant say anything bad.

You show me where you get a magnet mount, low velocity wide flow, swivel sphere base, and 1200gph @ 8watts for $45.

schigara 01/09/2008 01:36 AM

I have 2 #4's and a #3 in my 75 and am very happy for 6 months now

angel2007 01/09/2008 01:50 AM

i think they are great..... have 2 in my 54 gallon.

demonsp 01/09/2008 02:48 AM

schigara. This mightbe a little low. Your tank is young and low flow takes time from months to yrs to show and by then you never eben think its from low flow. I do agree that they have there plave in this hobby but are better used by a more experianced reefer. As a powerhead with more control from flow control knobs to duckbill tips for dirrection control. There are many variables though from feeding to stocking to rock placement that really could affect the outcome. I know your happy and think your fine but if you ever have a nitrate or algea problem pls keep this thread in mind.

angel2007
You didnt mention the size they are but i also say 2 #4 koralias max out around 60 gallons. But of course as i stated above there are many variables.Just keep this thread in mind.

schigara 01/09/2008 03:15 AM

Demon,

I wasn't saying I am happy with the flow or that I think they produce the kind of flow needed for the SPS dominant tank I strive for. I was just saying I am happy with the pump itself for what it is and what it costs. I should have mentioned that.

The original poster was commenting about the quality of the product, not it's intended use or longterm outcome from use. I was only commenting that the Koralia's I have, have worked without failure(meaning they still pump water).

This particular tank is only 6 months old but I have been researching more than 3 years and know very well the the ammount and type of flow I need.

[QUOTE][i]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11556619#post11556619 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by demonsp [/i]
[B]schigara. This mightbe a little low. Your tank is young and low flow takes time from months to yrs to show and by then you never eben think its from low flow. I do agree that they have there plave in this hobby but are better used by a more experianced reefer. As a powerhead with more control from flow control knobs to duckbill tips for dirrection control. There are many variables though from feeding to stocking to rock placement that really could affect the outcome. I know your happy and think your fine but if you ever have a nitrate or algea problem pls keep this thread in mind.[/B][/QUOTE]

kzickovich 01/09/2008 08:25 AM

do you have it hooked up thru a wave maker? If so they are ment to run all the time.

leoslizards 01/09/2008 08:47 AM

[QUOTE][i]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11556229#post11556229 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mbbuna [/i]
[B]i have to agree on the customer service. when i got mine it was right when they first came out, they didnt have the deflector with them like the new ones do. i sent an e-mail asking about if i could get a deflector and got a response in 10minutes. no questions asked but how many do you want. get them two days later :thumbsup: [/B][/QUOTE]

What are these deflectors everyone is talking about? I haven't heard or seen anything about them.
How much where they? Each+shipping?

I was thinking of getting two K3's for my 29g tank. Is that too much flow? Should I get the K2's instead?

an411 01/09/2008 09:30 AM

I have to say that I think that these are great products even though i dont like the look of the new ones they seem alot bigger then the older ones. I have had mine up and running for abotu 6 months with no problems. I would buy them again. I do wish that they had a little more controllability but they say that they are eventually going to come out with a controller for them

adtravels 01/09/2008 09:34 AM

all posotives from me too, better than nanostreams for and yes I have tried both.

Zoophile 01/09/2008 09:56 AM

I tried out a Koralia 3 and just ordered another one. Love them! I do wish they could be used with wavemakers and will eventually move up to Tunze, but you can't beat the Koralia performance for the price as mentioned above. I'd considered moding a maxi-jet and using a timer, but the darned thing makes an awful racket on startup.

I left the deflector off mine because I like the strong, wide flow. Do other K owners recommend using them?

weaselslucks 01/09/2008 10:09 AM

i love the two I have

mistergerardob 01/09/2008 10:27 AM

I have two Koralias in my tank, and I'm very happy with them.
There is not better power heads than Koralias for that price.

For those complaining, show me a similar product with the same price and gph.

leoslizards 01/09/2008 11:08 AM

Can someone please post some pics of the old and new Koralias? I want to see what you guys are talking about.

A.T.T.R 01/09/2008 11:13 AM

use one 4 at home and a 4 and 1 at work and have sold many of them with 0 returns or complaints..

love those things..
heck you could always try a seio ( alot more directional alot more watts and a faster current (better for sps i guess) but break non stop)

albfelix 01/09/2008 11:24 AM

One thing that I have learned from my mistakes is that any investment in any kind of hobby is you get what you pay for! There is an expresion that says "I am not rich to buy cheap stuff!" You will spent more money upfront but you will save a lot in the long run. Do your homework and buy the good stuff since the begining!

Achilles1208 01/09/2008 12:47 PM

i have two koralias #4 and have no complaints...

Achilles1208 01/09/2008 12:47 PM

i have two koralias #4 and have no complaints...

dsn112 01/09/2008 12:49 PM

I think they do a good job. I like them and for the money you can't beat them. Alot of cheap stuff on the market is garbage, but these are one of the products that are on the cheaper side and still work well.

badpvtdan 01/09/2008 01:36 PM

Great product. Fantastic customer service.