Reef Central Online Community Archives

Reef Central Online Community Archives (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Chicagoland Marine Aquarium Society (CMAS) (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=180)
-   -   Beerghia Nudibranch group order (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1291237)

triple j 01/11/2008 12:44 AM

Beerghia Nudibranch group order

Lets put an order together I just don't know where to get them from but I definetly want to get some so PM me on some order plans.

madadi 01/11/2008 12:49 AM

ebay has them for 18bucks. i thought it was a joke. i emailed the guy he told me 18 bucks per nudibranch. i hope you guys can find them cheaper. im sure they must be.

triple j 01/11/2008 01:07 AM

Salty Underground has them for $15.00. Good price, if so lets get an order together

renisel 01/11/2008 03:09 AM

I'd be surprised if you guys haven't already considered this, but is there a reason you're not just going with peppermint shrimp? They're a lot cheaper and easier to find. I had a pretty bad aiptasia problem in my 75, and a few peppermint shrimp from etropicals cleared it up in about a month without touching my zoas or anything.

Oblivionis 01/11/2008 06:18 AM

I did not realize how expensive they are. Maybe I should try the shrimp first.

69beetle69 01/11/2008 07:04 AM

i have 5 peppermint shrimps and have not done anything to them/ i will get in the order just let me know/ i have a very very bad infestation and need them fast

dohc97 01/11/2008 08:52 AM

just an fyi, you guys have to get the peppermints from the Caribbean. those are the ones that eat aiptasia, renisel bought them from etropicals and as we all know all the stuff on that site comes from that area.

saleenpwr88 01/11/2008 09:09 AM

I got some peps from Sho Tank a while ago, I didn't have an aptaisa problem, but the ones I did have were gone in one night with 3 peps. Then my stupid 6 line ate the peps :)

renisel 01/11/2008 07:06 PM

Yeah, as dohc said, not all peppermint shrimp will eat aiptasia. From what I've been told, you need the wudermanni species--which is what is sold at eTropicals. They were something like $2.50 apiece including shipping (with a minimum order of $60 or so) as part of their build your own clean-up crew deal.

sellout007 01/11/2008 08:22 PM

The problem I have seen is that the pepermint shrimp don't kill every aiptasia. I have had them in my tank several times now, they *visibly* clear out my tank with in a week. Then they would up getting eaten, die and when they disappeared my aptasia would come back with a vengance.

I also have a Devil fish in my tank, Im still not even sure if I can house a nudibranch. But I know I definitely cant have peppermint shrimp with the devilish.

triple j 01/11/2008 10:42 PM

Oblivionis,

Thinking the same thing. I think I might try adding several more pep shrimp to the tank and see if that doesn't help. If not, maybe in a couple of weeks when I catch up on the Christmas bills, I'll try the Nudibranch route again.

poo-tang 01/12/2008 12:04 AM

fyi reeftopia has lettuce nudibranch for 7, prolly not what you want, but also pep shrimp for 2, just gotta order 24. plus if you can mustar a 100 you get free ship, i love that site.

renisel 01/12/2008 03:53 AM

[QUOTE][i]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11578714#post11578714 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sellout007 [/i]
[B]The problem I have seen is that the pepermint shrimp don't kill every aiptasia. I have had them in my tank several times now, they *visibly* clear out my tank with in a week. Then they would up getting eaten, die and when they disappeared my aptasia would come back with a vengance.

I also have a Devil fish in my tank, Im still not even sure if I can house a nudibranch. But I know I definitely cant have peppermint shrimp with the devilish. [/B][/QUOTE]

Yeah, I do still have a couple tiny aiptasia in my tank--but nothing like what I had before. I also don't have any predators, so my shrimp shouldn't go anywhere so long as I keep them well-fed.

Before I went with the peppermint shrimp, I gave a lot of consideration to nudis and, from what I read, I think your luck would be even worse with them than the shrimp. They're very small and slow (easy targets for predators) and they are easily swept up by strong currents. The best way to use them seems to be to put them in a separate quarantine tank and let them clean one rock at a time. This seemed like a lot more work than I wanted to put in, but I'm not sure you have any better options--except maybe periodically buying shrimp.