Reef Central Online Community Archives

Reef Central Online Community Archives (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Lounge (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   2nd hand smoke, child abuse? (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=523818)

luceneck 02/08/2005 11:49 AM

2nd hand smoke, child abuse?

I wanted to find out what everyone thinks about parents smoking in a car with their kids in it.

[B]My perspective:[/B]

[i]I have seen infants in car seats with smoking parents and I think that this is insane. Everyone knows now a days that smoking is harmful, and that exposure to it may lead to health problems down the line. If a parent knowingly exposes their child to something like 2nd hand smoke then shouldn't they be held accountable?[/i]

[B]The only flaw I see in this argument: [/B]

[i]Parents knowingly take their kids to an unhealthy place like Mc Donalds for lunch/dinner daily but should this be considered child abuse?[/i]

PS:
My parents did smoke in the car and stopped the minute the doctor told them about the risks of second hand smoke. This was in the early 90's

I'll try and post a poll, and if this post is not acceptable then sorry and please take it down.

Q-ball 02/08/2005 12:00 PM

I think this post is fine as long as we stick to the topic and stay away from the areas that are already not desired within the lounge.

My take on it...I don't smoke in my car with my boy in there. Even with the moonroof and windows open (tough to do when the average temp right now is about 35 or so) I still don't want to do it. Is it abuse? I dunno if I'd call it that, but I definately don't think it should be done, I think it's rude to make anyone else (your child or not) HAVE to inhale your second-hand smoke. FWIW, my parents were smokers and smoked with me & my brother in the car all the time. I hated it then too. FWIW,

Q!!!

llpoolej 02/08/2005 12:16 PM

I don't think it is child abuse, but it surely isn't GOOD for the kids. I don't smoke and I don't take the kids out for fast food very often.

Child abuse is a pretty strong phrase. Unhealthy yes, abusive no.

dc 02/08/2005 12:18 PM

LOL, and you still started smoking?:lol: Dan doesn't smoke around other peoples kids, he goes outside to smoke. He did smoke with our kids in the car tho. Always rolled down the windows no matter how cold it was. So far he hasn't smoked in my new car, we'll see how that goes when we go on vacation.:D In this day and age, I'm surprised that any adult smokes around their kids. At our company party this year there were a lot of young smokers in their early 20s. I was kind of surprised. I used to refer to myself as a second hand smoker, I didn't know anyone who didn't smoke.

Sierra 02/08/2005 12:24 PM

I quit smoking when I became prego with my first son - but my husband still smokes and everyone EVERYONE in our family smokes.

smoking in the car - no Its too enclosed of a space - with 2 little ones in the back its just not happening in my car... if we are on extremely long trips we would take advantage of reststops to use the restroom and have a cigarette.

If there were no children in the car - and an adult chose to ride along with me then I would smoke - If they dont like it they should have taken their own vehicle or rode with someone else.

In my home I allow smoking in the kitchen dining room and living room areas - Our house is extremely open with high ceilings and alot of air movement. But no smoking in bedrooms, bathrooms, kids play areas etc. I have a hard time enforcing strict no smoking rules in my home as I would force most of my visitors to feel unwelcome as they are chain smokers.

on a side note - My sister in law smokes in her car and her home - she has a 9 year old son - Her ex (and father to the 9 year old) threatened to report her to CPS (child protective services) for smoking in her home. she continues to smoke in her house even after - she is one of the most kind loving and attentive parents I have ever met and threatening to remove her child because she is a smoker is ridiculous.

As long as smoking remains legal I believe smokers should not be treated as second class people nor should people make judgements on their parenting based on weather they smoke around their kids or not. JMHO.

llpoolej 02/08/2005 12:32 PM

Like I said before, it isn't child abuse, but there is no way it is healthy. I can even smell it if someone is smoking in the car ahead of me(at a stop).

My Dad smoked while we grew up, heck, it was the 70's, everyone did!! He only smoked in our kitchen and the house still smelled of smoke. I still smelled MYSELF enough like smoke, that when I was 16 the doctor was convinced I was a smoker. Oh, I also had strep all the time and later it was attributed to being exposed to second hand smoke

If a child has asthma and the parents smoke INSIDE the home or car, then, that is a whole new story. A loving, caring parent would put the HEALTH of their child above the *comfort* of smoking INDOORS.

I understand it is a terrible addiction. I understand sometimes it is impossible to quit. My Dad couldnt' even faced with death(and he died at 48 of emphysema) Though NOW we surely have alot more peer pressure to smoke outdoors or not at all.

People won't smoke in my car or home. I am happy to bring an ashtray out onto the porch and there are tables and chairs out there. Many a time I have sat on the porch with a smoking friend. Then again, that has never been an issue as no one I know smokes inside.

I have a hard time considering it child ABUSE as that is something much worse than second hand smoke

thrlride 02/08/2005 12:33 PM

I don't think it's child abuse but I cringe when I see it.

dinoman 02/08/2005 12:40 PM

abusive? No, Unhealthy? Yes

We have friends that are really heavy smokers, and its always hard when they come and stay with us (during hunting season) because I seem to be really sensitive to cig. smoke (literally the slightest bit of smoke and I have a headache).

-Dino-

ErikS 02/08/2005 12:47 PM

Unhealthy? Yep, child abuse? No. Yeah, make sure the kids breathe that "healthy clean air" outside LMAO.

As abysmal as American parents are at raising kids I think 2nd hand smoke is the least of their worries.

(sarcasm)
Good thing little Johhny Tudball isn't exposed to 2nd hand smoke while he sits on his fat *ss all day playing video games.
(/sarcasm)

Mini4x 02/08/2005 12:53 PM

Would you feed your kid rat posion??

Flanders 02/08/2005 12:58 PM

Smoking in the same house as your kid is as stupid and irresponsible as exposing your kid to asbestos on purpose. Sure, we breathe a lot of crap and do unhealthy things in life, but why make it unnecessarily worse? There is no comparison between breathing secondhand smoke and playing video games.

In the car I personally don't think it makes as much of a difference as in your house. The exposure period is shorter, the window is probably open and you're all probably breathing fumes anyway, but it's still unnecessary.

It's not child abuse, it's uncaring stupidity for the sake of convenience. Not appreciating the health of your child is unforgivable.

dc 02/08/2005 12:59 PM

[img]http://images7.fotki.com/v143/photos/2/28482/376550/bike-vi.gif[/img]

bierluvre 02/08/2005 01:09 PM

Technically:

[B]abusive[/B] - "Causing physical injury to another"

yes.

If you knowingly and repeatedly subject your child to the by-products of the smoking habit that you selfishly maintain without regard for your childs health, I would say abso-friggin-lutely. Those who smoke inside their homes without the addition of an increased export circulation system or those who smoke in their cars (especially with the windows rolled up!) definitely apply.

I [B]garuantee[/B] you it would hold up in court if the child suffered some illness that could be simply potentially related to second hand smoke, or if the child had asthma for example.

I'm obviously against it. I just think that your child's health is of utmost importance and if it causes you a little discomfort for your nasty, unhealthy, and stupid (I can say that because I smoked for 7 years!) habit then so be it, suck it up (no pun intended :D ) and do the right thing for your child's sake.

Sierra 02/08/2005 01:16 PM

you think its ok to ride my bike on a flat?

If not I'm stealing my sons big wheel - Nothing but trouble for me here.

anyone got a deck of cards? cards smacking spokes ussually drowns out the noise in my head.

Scarlett 02/08/2005 01:17 PM

I'm technically a non-smoker, but I have a puff or two when I go dancing. Of course, I didn't at all when I was pregnant, and the first time I smoked after Dustin was born, it nearly made me sick. I won't infringe on a smoker's rights though. Phillip Morris is right here in Richmond, VA and it's essential for our economy. I heard on the news a few days ago that VA might be banning smoking in public all together.

Ultimately, though, I would love to beat the crap out of those that purposefully expose their kids to smoke. Just because they want to doesn't mean their kids do. Maybe they should come up with cigarette rebreathers so there is no second-hand smoke.:smokin:

Nina51 02/08/2005 01:54 PM

second hand smoke can hardly be compared to beating a child, tearing his toenailso out with pliers, starving him to death, chaining him in a tiny unlit cold closet, sexually torturing him. these are not made up...unless you're living under a rock somewhere, everyone of these allegations appeared on the news. i believe it was in florida. not just one family, it was 2 or 3.

so although second hand smoke isn't the healthiest thing in the world, please let's not go overboard and compare it to child abuse.

Niven 02/08/2005 01:59 PM

So where is the line? When is it abuse and not.....something else?
Stealing isn't exactly murder, but it's still illegal.

Abuse is abuse, don't try to justify it.

thrlride 02/08/2005 02:10 PM

I agree Niven.

As someone who lost their Mother almost a year ago from smoking I am highly against it. She became all but decapacitated by the age of 54 and passed away at 56 even after quiting smoking at 54. Her story is not unique and not a secret yet people still start. I just don't understand why you would want to start. I can see having a hard time quiting though, but people can do it.

Sierra 02/08/2005 02:18 PM

oh well lets just say it - Non-Smokers are better then smokers. And Smokers shouldnt be allowed to have children unless they hide in a closet when they excersize their right to choose to smoke - which is perfectly legal. oh wait the closet is inside the house - ok where do smokers smoke then? Cant smoke within 20 feet of many buildings in my state, cant smoke in bars restraunts etc... Now they are trying to say you cant smoke in your car, or in public places where others can smell your smoke, and even a possibilty they will say you cant smoke in your own home. So looks like we need to take smokers children away and put them in foster homes then heard all the smokers into a big pasture out in the middle of nowhere so they can smoke without offending non-smokers. and The gaurds of this pasture need to be smokers or wear masks of some sort for their own protection. smoking is bad yes, but its also legal - FOR NOW.

Alright I have my Playing cards in the spokes and I'm heading out on a Bike Ride. Care to join me? I wont be smoking I quit over 3 years ago.

Flanders 02/08/2005 02:21 PM

My condolences for you mother thrlride. I just wanted to point out that you don't even have to quit smoking to not smoke around your kids. Quitting is hard but not smoking around your kids is a simple decision that requires basically zero effort. That is why it is so frustrating.

edit: Sierra, I agree 100 percent with your sentiment about the treatment of and public opinion about smokers. It is getting out of hand. But nothing you can say will make it okay to force your children to breathe in a carcinogen, when there is such an easy alternative: go outside. I'm not saying the kids should be taken away, just that it's appalling that the some parents don't have more respect for their children's health.

Niven 02/08/2005 02:26 PM

Is it pleasurable for you to sit in a nice restaurant sitting behind some person with horrible bo?
I'm at a loss for a good comparison right now, so I'll go with this....
How would you like it if I followed you around tossing cocaine up in the air? I'm not forcing you to sniff it, but ya ain't got much choice now do ya?

I call the green machine!

AnnArborBuck 02/08/2005 02:28 PM

[QUOTE]second hand smoke can hardly be compared to beating a child, tearing his toenailso out with pliers, starving him to death, chaining him in a tiny unlit cold closet, sexually torturing him. these are not made up...unless you're living under a rock somewhere, everyone of these allegations appeared on the news. i believe it was in florida. not just one family, it was 2 or 3.[/QUOTE]

So it is okay since it is over a longer period of time. Two wrongs don't make a right.

I grew up a child of a smoker and I get smokers caugh to this day once in awhile. I will not allow others to smoke around my children. I know what second hand smoke can do to somebody, so why would you ever expose your kids to something.

Think about this, lets say your favorite meal (pizza for example) makes your kid ill would you keep feeding him that for dinner because you like it. You know that feeding your kid pizza is hurting them, but you keep doing it because "you like the way it tastes". Please. We are the adults, we know what is right for our children, we shouldn't ignore the truth because of our selfishness and our desires.

BrianD 02/08/2005 02:31 PM

We aren't going to solve this problem here. Let's not create ill will.

Wilafur 02/08/2005 02:35 PM

if you can't quit smoking for your children, i don't see how you can/will ever quit.

i do consider smoking around children child abuse. granted the symptoms do not develop instantaneously but rather in years.

so a bruise/cut is abuse but terminal cancer when they are 30 isn't?

Sierra 02/08/2005 02:40 PM

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Niven [/i]
[B]Is it pleasurable for you to sit in a nice restaurant sitting behind some person with horrible bo?
I'm at a loss for a good comparison right now, so I'll go with this....
How would you like it if I followed you around tossing cocaine up in the air? I'm not forcing you to sniff it, but ya ain't got much choice now do ya?

I call the green machine! [/B][/QUOTE]

ahhh but cocaine is illegal. I've never seen a smoker following a non smoker around blowing smoke in their face.