Reef Central Online Community Archives

Reef Central Online Community Archives (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=212)
-   -   Best pump for wavemaker? (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1284191)

luv951 01/02/2008 12:53 PM

Best pump for wavemaker?

I know that MJ are good, but is there a pump that can be used externally on a wave maker? I have heard that MAG are external too, but have also heard they are not. What about OR?

luv951 01/02/2008 08:29 PM

Bump...does anyone know any pumps besides MJs that work well being shut on and off repeatedly???

p-p-p-please

jh2pizza 01/02/2008 08:48 PM

Mags create a huge amount of heat. I use to have 2 mag 7s on my closed loop, when I got rid of that set up and went with a PanWorld and a Sea Swirl, the heat was reduced by about 3D in a 75.

luv951 01/02/2008 09:20 PM

but can any of those be turned on and off every minute or so without much damage? Would rather use a Gen-X or Pan World, but need it to be able to switch on and off repeatedly.

ordy1 01/02/2008 10:25 PM

I've never tried it but I've read, here on this board, that the constant cycling on and off of any pump will eventually cause the pump to fail prematurely. The Neptune and Octopus controllers both have a wavemaker type controller, that can be programmed to switch upto four power heads on and off. The Neptune controller has a facility for "Soft Start", that allows you to switch pumps with out too much damage to the pump.

Most people on this board go with the Seio, Tunze, and Hydor Koralias, that can be controlled with an optional controller.

Ordy

reefkeeper135 01/02/2008 10:25 PM

you say you want to switch a pump on and off for a wavemaker???why turn the pump off if it is external use a Squid
you can get one one from Marine Depot for about $35.00

luv951 01/02/2008 10:59 PM

I wanted to try something thats kinda hard to explain, but basically, I am trying to find a pump that can handle being turned on and off repeatedly. External preferred.

I know the more typical ways to go about wavemaking, SCWD, OM and such, not what I am looking for. Just hoped that someone had experience with a pump that could take this kind of use.

I read an old thread from Rex Niedermeyer wherein he said that Iwakis and Little Giants could sustain a repeated on/off cycle, but was hoping to hear of some others.

Anyone?

luv951 01/02/2008 10:59 PM

I wanted to try something thats kinda hard to explain, but basically, I am trying to find a pump that can handle being turned on and off repeatedly. External preferred.

I know the more typical ways to go about wavemaking, SCWD, OM and such, not what I am looking for. Just hoped that someone had experience with a pump that could take this kind of use.

I read an old thread from Rex Niedermeyer wherein he said that Iwakis and Little Giants could sustain a repeated on/off cycle, but was hoping to hear of some others.

Anyone?

luv951 01/02/2008 11:49 PM

OK, I have seen others do that - the double post. thing.....why does that happen? I just posted like normal?

ccoral 01/03/2008 12:39 PM

stop calling them wavemakers they are just timer on and off. I am with ordy there are better pumps and true controllers on the market that are designed by pump makers for there pumps. As for the soft start timers are even worse if run on a PH as the impeller only will start with X amount of power. Thus not making much difference.
Imagine starting and stopping your car 100-200 times a day. Something is going to break.
It is a easy device to make and note pump manufacutures do not make them. Hagen, taam, supreme, hydor, aquaria, ect.