Reef Central Online Community Archives

Reef Central Online Community Archives (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Responsible Reefkeeping (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=225)
-   -   Lets talk about LFS (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1272520)

Corn 12/16/2007 12:05 AM

Lets talk about LFS

Would you buy a high end fish or for that mater any fish from a LFS if they had a high end centralized system for all of the salt water fish in the store??? Please give me your info
Corn.

Freed 12/16/2007 12:23 AM

If it looked healthy, was eating like gang busters at the store and holding its own with the other fish yes I would BUT only if I were going to QT it when I got it home. Might still have a disease hitching along with it for the ride. I QT everything before putting in main tank and have never had any diseases get in.

chrissreef 12/16/2007 02:15 AM

there's a risk from lfs just like online dealers. QT always and observe the fish well.

geoxman 12/28/2007 08:29 PM

I deal with my LFS about 80% of the time. After many of years of purchasing from them I get good deals and if something dies they will help me out as they know I am a regular and not inexperienced. Your LFS will turn out to be one of your best friends in this hobby. I also have a large in store credit's at various LFS from trading in frags and that pays for salt etc...

I do buy almost all dry goods online as I know they won't die--for the most part

tcilmo 12/31/2007 03:34 PM

When you get a new fish how long do you leave it in QT before you put it in your main tank?

chrissreef 12/31/2007 08:07 PM

2 weeks is generally recommended

syrinx 01/01/2008 01:17 PM

2 weeks is less than the life cycle of many parasites. 4 weeks is the generally accepted time frame. The definition of QT is a period of Forced Isolation- anyone that claims (talking pet suppliers) to QT and yet has other fish in the same system, or recent introductions to a system that is A"QT" system- they are not truthfully a QT.

billsreef 01/01/2008 02:51 PM

4 to 6 weeks if you want to quarantine for ich, with 6 being the best ;)

LisaD 01/03/2008 10:52 AM

with seahorses (which seem to have some special issues) I usually QT for eight weeks of health and good eating before adding to the display. if I have to treat and the animal then appears healthy, the eight week clock starts over.

tcilmo 01/03/2008 05:25 PM

Whats sizes of QT tanks do you guys run? If your opnion what is the best size for a QT system?

billsreef 01/03/2008 09:02 PM

Depends a lot on what size and the nature of the fish your QT'ing, as well as how many at a time. For fish like clowns, gobies, small wrasses, a 10 or 20 will be sufficient. As the fish increase in size or needs for space, the larger the QT is needed.

beaglelax 01/08/2008 06:07 PM

I dont about you guys but online yea right i would never i dont care what guarantee I get from them. I would never trust anyone other then my LFS but saying that i did my research and traveled many a miles around my area to compare who is the best and who has the best. One place has great fish and rare fish but i dont like there personal, so i dont buy from them because if i drop 500+ i wanna be able to relate with my LFS. I go to one and stick to one LFS thats my 2 cents