Reef Central Online Community Archives

Reef Central Online Community Archives (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Reef Chemistry Forum (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   ELOS Mg test kit (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1291176)

dapettit 01/10/2008 11:24 PM

ELOS Mg test kit

I purchased this test kit during an LFS going out of business sale. I decided to test for Mg and the instructions are missing. Has anyone used this and would be willing to share the instructions on using it.

mesocosm 01/10/2008 11:55 PM

[i]Greetings All ![/i]

From the ELOS Mg test instructions ...

[quote]
1.rinse the test vial in tap water; then several times with the aquarium water. Fill it with the aquarium water sample up to the 3 mL mark using the measuring syringe.
2.add 9 drops of reagent magnesium A (shake reagent bottle before every use and close the reagent cap immediately).
3.close the test vials with the plastic stopper and shake the solution for a few seconds.
4.remove the plastic stopper and add, to the test sample, a dosage spoonful (0.15ml) of powdered reagent B (it does not matter if the powder has not completely dissolved
5.close the test vials with the plastic stopper and shake the solution for a few seconds.
6.remove the plastic stopper and add reagent Magnesium C drop by drop (count the drops!). Swirl the test vial after each drop in order to mix the liquid thoroughly. Continue to add the drops of reagent Magnesium C until you have obtained a change of colour from pink-violet into blue colour. Close the reagent flask immediately.
7.wait until the coloration is stable at least for 30 seconds
8.multiply the number of drops you have added by 100. The result indicates the approx Magnesium content in mg/Lt. (1 drop = 100 mg/lt). E.g. 11 drops = 1.100 mg/Lt of Magnesium
9.rinse the test vial and the measuring syringe in RO water
[/quote]Spelling, capitalization & punctuation (and lack thereof) is theirs ... I'm just the primate with a keyboard. :lol:

European decimal notation has always confused me. I'm pretty sure they mean 11 drops = 1,100 mg/L . ;)

HTH
:thumbsup:

old salty 01/11/2008 12:37 AM

There should also be a cheater card inside the box. It is the color card that says Mg on it. It's all done in pictures for those of us that received government schooling. Be sure to shake all reagent bottles before you use them and to rinse the vials with the water you are going to test.

dapettit 01/11/2008 10:12 AM

There is a card inside the box but it's in b&w. Real helpful card. . .

Thanks Mesocosm and old salty.

PSam 01/11/2008 12:04 PM

Don't need a color card - it's only 2 colors - before, & after. And a pretty sharp change, imo.

dapettit 01/11/2008 12:32 PM

Cool I give it a try tonight. Need to mix salt for water and change and want to get all the params right.