Reef Central Online Community Archives

Reef Central Online Community Archives (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Richmond Reef Club (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=335)
-   -   December Frag Swap/Meet/Raffle (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1242693)

twon8 11/03/2007 01:56 PM

December Frag Swap/Meet/Raffle

per the suggestion of our founder, I have decided to host our next frag swap. I'm leaning toward Saturday December 8

Def a frag group buy from reefermadness, and i've got a credit from reefscience so if anyone wants to go in on some maximas im up for it,

westcoastreef 11/03/2007 01:57 PM

I have the day cleared off my schedule.

mr294 11/03/2007 02:01 PM

Count me in [img]http://smiliesftw.com/x/bowdown.gif[/img]

J. Montgomery 11/03/2007 02:19 PM

So let it be written, so let it be done.
[IMG]http://speakingoffaith.publicradio.org/programs/exodus/images/moses-heston.jpg[/IMG]

surfnvb7 11/03/2007 02:34 PM

that sounds like an excellent day for a club gathering. college football is pretty much over by that weekend.

i'd like to get ahold another small ORA ultra maxima clam....but not sure who carries them anymore, but that would be a cool group buy.

i think you'll need to set up your frag tank again to hold everything that people will be bringing. lol

and i could make a frag of something cool to donate to a raffle.

also, do you have a grill so we can do chicken/burgers?

mr294 11/03/2007 02:44 PM

For those newer members who haven't made it out to a swap before, this is going to be one you don't want to miss. Anthony has two very beautiful tanks and is always a great host!

LB 11/03/2007 02:49 PM

Is there goin to be smores???? I like Smores

samdaman316 11/03/2007 03:01 PM

Josh- Wasn't it the pharaoh that said that????

J. Montgomery 11/03/2007 03:18 PM

I thought Heston as Moses was a better image

commabc 11/03/2007 04:03 PM

how does it work? everyone bring a frag? can it be anything? lps sps, softies? can you still come if you dont have anything to frag?

wish i could have made the meet lastnight, sounds like you guys had fun! i'll definately be there on the 8th.

J. Montgomery 11/03/2007 04:17 PM

[QUOTE][i]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11110315#post11110315 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by commabc [/i]
[B]how does it work? everyone bring a frag? can it be anything? lps sps, softies? can you still come if you dont have anything to frag?[/B][/QUOTE]
Bring 'em if you got 'em. You don't have to bring a frag. Just come to hang out, view someone else's tanks, and talk reef stuff.

Typically people will post some of the things they have available closer to the event time to gauge interest in bringing it and who wants it.

Sounds like we'll be doing a frag raffle for this meeting as well. Pay a fixed price for a "ticket" and Anthony will place a group buy for some kind of "random" frag pack. Then at the meet, people pick frags from the pack based upon what number they draw from the raffle. A cool way to get unexpected goodies.

twon8 11/03/2007 04:29 PM

it works out to about 10 per frag if we get enough people, i think 30

we'll draw numbers and pick frags in that order

last time we split it up into two groups acros and everything else(lps, zoas, ricordia, montis', a stylo)

surfnvb7 11/03/2007 04:37 PM

yeah, its pretty much going to be 3 things.

group buy placed for a big order of corals, then subsequent raffle to see who gets to pick what, first.

then individuals are free to post frags they are selling or trading on the side, and just using the club meet as a convenient arena to hook up with people on those trades/sales.

then sometimes people donate frags from their tanks for another separate raffle. this raffle usually doesn't require paying for a ticket as does the group-buy raffle. this is more or less used to help out the newer people who don't have as much, and to drum up more participants showing up to the club meeting.

other than all that, its just hanging out and having a good time.....mostly by sharing ideas. no formality really, just a laid back atmosphere.

surfnvb7 11/03/2007 04:46 PM

[QUOTE][i]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11110443#post11110443 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by twon8 [/i]
[B]it works out to about 10 per frag if we get enough people, i think 30

we'll draw numbers and pick frags in that order

last time we split it up into two groups acros and everything else(lps, zoas, ricordia, montis', a stylo) [/B][/QUOTE]

my vote is for a small maxima clam order! :D

i know there are allot of reefers here, who are definitely able to keep clams......but don't b/c the ones for sale locally are quite pricey as well as quite large.

Per1 11/03/2007 04:54 PM

How do you get invited to this? I would love to meet new people that share the same likes in this wonderfull hobbie.

phurst 11/03/2007 04:54 PM

Ahh, this is gonna be good! Maybe we can get enough people on Anthony's back steps to bring them down this time :)

I'd deffinitely be in for another Reefer Madness GB or somthing similar, and I'd LOVE to get a clam buy together.

twon8 11/03/2007 05:03 PM

[QUOTE][i]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11110552#post11110552 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Per1 [/i]
[B]How do you get invited to this? I would love to meet new people that share the same likes in this wonderfull hobbie. [/B][/QUOTE]

you just did. i'll post directions at a later date, but anyone interested in reefs is welcome to attend.

Per1 11/03/2007 05:08 PM

Thank you. I cant wait to come and meet some new people. If I have any Frags ready at that time, I will bring them. Thank you once again to all.

JMBoehling 11/03/2007 05:17 PM

Thanks Twon..Looking forward to it.. I'm good for a Clam buy or anything else the group decides on.

If anyone wants to trick out a Maxi Jet, I'll show you the Sushi Mod if interested... Just bring your Maxi's, I've got a handfull of props and the other parts for some crazy flow :) I've got (02) on my 90 and they are working perfectly...

Later,

Jim

Later,

Jim

aqua11878 11/03/2007 05:42 PM

sounds like too much fun!!! can't wait...im in!

Neptune777 11/03/2007 05:47 PM

Sounds great...

Hopeful Reefer 11/03/2007 07:02 PM

Providing that the wife isn't in labor at that time, I'm in...always nice to see Anthony's stuff...if Eric (radar) doesn't chime in sometime soon I'll let him know as well...

LB 11/03/2007 08:11 PM

What about the smores??

For the new comers it is customary to bring any frags that you want to share in a bag labeled "LB" this is a special way that we let people know that they are to be traded.Also coolers containing adult beverages should also be labeled with the above "LB".This is just to keep things organized . :)

I'm looking forward to geeting back to anthony's! Last years meet was my first and man what a first one to attend.It was alot of fun and getting to talk shop with others in the hobby was a whole new thing for me.So if your new to this just get in the car.You wo'nt be kicked out for no frags or anything of the sort it's very laid back !!!

twon8 11/03/2007 08:17 PM

i think i can hook you up with some smores. i know a guy

J. Montgomery 11/03/2007 08:19 PM

I like the clams idea as well, in addition to the ReeferMadness order.