Reef Central Online Community Archives

Reef Central Online Community Archives (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Responsible Reefkeeping (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=225)
-   -   Curved Aquariums - Bad for Fish? (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1266290)

grigorescu 12/07/2007 10:02 AM

Curved Aquariums - Bad for Fish?

I hope that this is the right place for this.

I just read an article in a Romanian newspaper discussing a new law where an owner of an aquarium with "spherical or curved sides" would be fined $100. It also said that the entire European Union has such a law in place. The reason cited by one of the voters is that "fish have problems with orientation." Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find either an English translation or a similar law in other countries.

I'm guessing they're worried that fish will run into a bowed side, as opposed to a straight side? Is this true? Anyone know of any similar restrictions or laws where they live?

I was just quite surprised, since I've never heard of this idea before. Most likely, it's just another case of lawmakers legislating what they don't know.

Interestingly enough, though, the law also stipulates that transporting a fish in a transparent container would incur the same fine. That one I've heard of (or at least the idea of covering the bottom of the container, so the fish doesn't get overly-stressed).

steven_dean17 12/08/2007 03:32 AM

Sorry fish? I was not aware fish couldn't tell round glass from flat.

JHemdal 12/08/2007 06:45 AM

I found a similar quote from an official in Italy about five years ago. I was researching material for my book on mini-aquariums and came across this:

Recently, the region of Monza, in Italy created legislation that would ban keeping goldfish in bowls. An official was quoted as saying,

"A fish kept in a bowl has a distorted view of reality...and suffers because of this. "

It may be a European Union thing. It has absolutely no basis in fact. Most public aquariums use curved aquariums for delicate schooling fish and even jellyfish.

Jay Hemdal

chrisqueenz 12/08/2007 03:13 PM

Wow, I guess I am in trouble!

richie z 01/03/2008 06:54 PM

hi i live in england and there is no law like that here.i have an aqua one windsor 88 bow front tank and my fish seem happy, as for a distorted view of reality unless you could make a reef the size of a swimming pool they arent going to get reality anyway

Kemo484 01/07/2008 10:13 PM

[QUOTE][i]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11514673#post11514673 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by richie z [/i]
[B]unless you could make a reef the size of a swimming pool they arent going to get reality anyway [/B][/QUOTE]

agreed

RumLad 01/10/2008 12:51 PM

[QUOTE][i]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11340332#post11340332 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by JHemdal [/i]
[B]

"A fish kept in a bowl has a distorted view of reality...and suffers because of this. "

[/B][/QUOTE]
I would really like to know how this individual came up with this hypothesis.

Just what is a fishs' (any fish, in any captive environment) perception of reality?

I can see a few glasses of aged scoth in order to sort this out!