Reef Central Online Community Archives

Reef Central Online Community Archives (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=212)
-   -   Overflow, Hang-Ons Or Drilled? (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1291092)

moocow 01/10/2008 09:47 PM

Overflow, Hang-Ons Or Drilled?

I'm trying to decide if I really want to risk my 58 gallon oceanic tank.
It wasn't originally drilled for saltwater. I'm converting it from a freshwater setup.
So the tank is empty.
I would like to drill it, that seems waaay easier, and cheaper.
But I terrified to crack the glass. I've called shops around my area and a few will do it, but they all use drill presses??

Is there any reason I SHOULD NOT get a siphon based overflow?
Over a DRILLED in tank overflow?
Or are they both pretty reliable?
please any comments or experiences are welcome.
I'm really having a hard time with this.
thanks
-matt

sjm817 01/10/2008 09:51 PM

On a new tank, I would always drill. If not, get a Lifereef.

erikages 01/10/2008 09:53 PM

I've never operated an overflow, but I've heard nightmares about them, even with the anti-siphon gadgetry people install. So, there's a risk to overflows.

Personally, I'd be tempted to drill the tank or sell your existing tank and buy a new one that's reef ready.

Regardless, you may want to read up on where you want the overflow / drill holes to go. There seems to be an emerging consensus that the surface should be skimmed into the centre of the tank rather than the corners (I've got corner intakes, and would've made a different choice...but water under the bridge).

Good luck with your tank! And welcome to salt. :)

moocow 01/10/2008 10:30 PM

yeah. I guess a year or so ago the company All-Glass hired an independent research company to test overflow placement.
Found that not exact center but off to the side a little seems to yield the best results.
I think I'm going to aim to have the hole no more than 1/2" away from the tank rim.

I'm looking at the saws on the Glass-Holes.com site.
Is there a place that anyone else uses that has good saws?
Otherwise these look to be sufficient.

sjm817 01/10/2008 11:46 PM

Hole should be 2" from any edge.

nw2rfing 01/11/2008 02:45 PM

great choice... i have a CPR overflow on my 75gallon that loves to create an airbubble, that causes the siphon to stop, and thus causes an overflow.... especialy when i seem to have to go out of town.

kdblove_99 01/11/2008 02:54 PM

Drill it for sure

RandyStacyE 01/11/2008 03:07 PM

You can't go wrong with a drilled tank.

nrike 01/11/2008 03:26 PM

im using a cpr overflow on my tank, never had a problem after getting an aqualifter pump. you will never lose siphon on your overflow again. and their cheap around $12.

sjm817 01/11/2008 03:44 PM

Glad you haven't lost siphon yet with your CPR. An Aqualifter helps, and is necessary for it to work, but it doesn't make it reliable. It can still fail and has for many people.

bdare 01/11/2008 04:12 PM

Drill your tank. You will never look back.

I've had external overflow boxes and the threat of a flood is ALWAYS looming in the back of your mind.

cardgenius 01/11/2008 06:34 PM

[QUOTE][i]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11576821#post11576821 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bdare [/i]
[B]Drill your tank. You will never look back.

I've had external overflow boxes and the threat of a flood is ALWAYS looming in the back of your mind. [/B][/QUOTE]

If you get a Lifereef and have the proper size sump youll have nothing to worry about.

Hal 01/11/2008 06:35 PM

Drill it.

I run a Lifereef overflow, and as good a product as it is, I'm routinely cleaning the siphon tubes, otherwise their flowrate slows. Air bubbles occasionally get trapped in them (as with all siphons) and "shut off" a tube.

Trust me, drill it.