Reef Central Online Community Archives

Reef Central Online Community Archives (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   SPS Keepers (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   Best Treatment for Monti Nudi's? (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1211102)

Sara B 09/20/2007 09:35 AM

Best Treatment for Monti Nudi's?

So I have not added a Montipora to my system for about a year ... except for a stupid freebie cap that was thrown in with several acro frags purchased. I didn't want the cap, but felt guilty about tossing it as I don't like to kill living corals. The cap and new acro's went through a 3 week QT with 3 treatments over the 3 weeks ... one Levamisole bath, 1 dip of Tropic Marin Pro Coral Cure and a Fluke Tab bath. So somehow some eggs must have made it through and I now have nudi's attacking my poker star, superman and Leng Sy cap. They have yet to hit 2 other caps, but I know I have to pull them as well.

My question is, which is the best treatment for these? I know that both Levamisole and TMPCC do the trick along with a tooth brush to scrape off the eggs, but which is less harsh on the coral? I have lost acro's to Levamisole, but not sure about a Monti's reaction. I plan on pulling all the Monti's out of the display and placing them into a QT system for treatment and holding for a minimum of 4 weeks. Also, should I treat them every 3 or 4 days rather than once a week (7 days) so that I can try and break the egg cycle? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

just dave 09/20/2007 09:44 AM

[url=http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-09/eb/index.php]Read This[/URL]

Sara B 09/20/2007 09:48 AM

Thanks, I read that yesterday in my search for answers.

Also, I plan on fragging off the healthy parts of the Monti's and tossing the damaged areas and attached rock prior to starting the QT process.

Tennsquire 09/20/2007 11:17 AM

The only losses I had when treating montipora for nudis with levamisole was because I fell asleep and left them in the dip too long (like overnight). Lost a really cool danae, and a red/orange plating monti (possibly foliosa). Everything else survived, albeit a bit faded, but they all came back. I also fragged healthy portions of corals that were badly invested, and removed all attached rock. Probably a good idea.

I did add a couple of scooter blennies in the system on the suggestion of a local reefclub member, as they always seem to be picking and hunting for inverts. I don't know if they had anything to do with the results.

Sara B 09/20/2007 07:38 PM

ttt for the evening crowd feedback!

Conesus_Kid 09/20/2007 08:33 PM

Unfortunately, I tossed the one monti cap frag in my system. Anyone have any idea how long I should be "monti-free"?

Also, do these nudis just go after caps, or digi's as well?

Sara B 09/20/2007 09:32 PM

[QUOTE][i]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10809705#post10809705 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Conesus_Kid [/i]
[B]

Also, do these nudis just go after caps, or digi's as well? [/B][/QUOTE]

They will attack the digi's as well.

jski711 09/20/2007 09:40 PM

sara that sucks, good luck beating those little buggers!!

wentreefgirl 09/21/2007 05:52 AM

Sara- looks like they are using potassium permaganate (sp). Kills eggs too. Get it at sears. Good luck.

kev apsley 09/21/2007 07:54 AM

Kent marine Poly OX is Potassium permangante as well

jjjimmy 09/21/2007 08:03 AM

How about this?

[url]http://www.liveaquaria.com/diversden/ItemDisplay.cfm?ddid=27324&siteid=20[/url]

Sara B 09/21/2007 08:32 AM

Thanks for the 2 suggestions on Potassium permangante, I'll find the Kent Product as I'm not sure how to use it and I don't think Sear's will know either ;-)

jski711 - Thanks! Just one more pest notch in my belt!

jjjimmy - I saw him yesterday as well and he had me thinking. I'm going to frag the snot out of my 3 nicest caps to get some yet to be eaten parts and toss the rest of all Monti's. I will then treat them in QT for a month or more and then add them to my new SPS tank where I have a Radiant waiting in the refugium. I wanted the Radiant to grow a bit before I tossed him in with my larger Wrasses including a Laboutei, a pair of Roseafacia, Lineatus and a Mystery. I should hopefully be covered when the Monti's go into the 225! I will then need a new Superman frag from you!

kev apsley 09/21/2007 09:12 AM

Sara-the key is to scrub any dead area's with a toothbrush to get the eggs off also, consider adding a Wrasse, my six-line will ponce on anything that moves and will fit into his mouth

Sara B 09/21/2007 09:22 AM

[QUOTE][i]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10811949#post10811949 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kev apsley [/i]
[B]Kent marine Poly OX is Potassium permangante as well [/B][/QUOTE]

I can't seem to locate this product at Drs. Foster and Smith. Am I overlooking it or do they just not have it:

[url]http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/NavResults.cfm?Ntt=kent%20marine&Ntk=All&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Np=1&N=2004&pc=1&Nty=1&va=1[/url]

kev apsley 09/21/2007 09:27 AM

[QUOTE][i]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10812450#post10812450 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Sara B [/i]
[B]I can't seem to locate this product at Drs. Foster and Smith. Am I overlooking it or do they just not have it:

[url]http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/NavResults.cfm?Ntt=kent%20marine&Ntk=All&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Np=1&N=2004&pc=1&Nty=1&va=1[/url] [/B][/QUOTE]

Marine Depot carries it

[url]http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_AquariumPage.aspx?PageAlias=medications_kent_marine[/url]

Sara B 09/21/2007 09:27 AM

Thanks, I just found it at Premium Aquatic's as well!

[url]http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=K-POLYOX-RSR8&Category_Code=Kent1[/url]

menard 09/21/2007 10:21 AM

Sara

In the past I battle w/ this beast w/o using all sorts of medication. Just do it manually,remove all the montis. in the display, toss all the infected pieces, scrub all the bleach area w/ a toothbruss, then add natural preditor ( iridis wrasse ). Now its been over 8 yrs. and no sign of nudis. I know for sure I did not fully eradicate them in my main display, it would be too imposible to spot them all, but that WRASSE did 100% terminating nudis.

Good luck to u.
Menard

gotfish8 09/21/2007 02:51 PM

Wow sara you have the worst luck with with the bad bugs, good luck in treating them

Sara B 09/21/2007 03:08 PM

[QUOTE][i]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10814663#post10814663 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by gotfish8 [/i]
[B]Wow sara you have the worst luck with with the bad bugs, good luck in treating them [/B][/QUOTE]

Thanks! Yes, this makes it the Trifecta of SPS pests for me. All LPS and Softies are looking more and more pretty to me! :eek1:

wentreefgirl 09/22/2007 09:20 AM

I was going to say, havent you now gotten all three of the bad guys. Well, now your triple experienced.

Sara B 09/22/2007 09:43 AM

[QUOTE][i]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10819548#post10819548 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by wentreefgirl [/i]
[B]I was going to say, havent you now gotten all three of the bad guys. Well, now your triple experienced. [/B][/QUOTE]

LOL - Yes, I'm triple experienced and I even now QT after the first two ... stupid pests!

As of last night the Leng Sy was completely fragged, dipped in TMPCC and is now in QT. I plan on pulling the other two caps I want to save and will do the same tonight with them.

wentreefgirl 09/22/2007 12:32 PM

I think even if you quarentine, you might miss eggs and then bam. The good thing with the potassium perm is that it gets the eggs.

SERVO 09/22/2007 03:30 PM

Ughhh Sara,

Sorry to hear that you are fighting these things. Approximately a year and a half ago, I lost a 2 year old cap that I started from the size of a dime. It was 14 inches across and had 4 tiers. At the time, I didn't know about these things. I started to dip the coral in TMPCC and had no luck. I didn't see anything because I didn't know what to look for. Anyway, I pulled out all of my monti's. About 4 months later, I started to add small pieces. Every piece was inspected and I knew what to look for at that time. Every piece was dipped again in TMPCC. About 2 months ago, I noticed them on one small colony. I pulled it out every night and scrapped the hell out of it with a toothbrush and added a coris wrasse. The coral has grown back and I haven't seen anything since. If I do, I'll get some KMnO4!!!

slojmn 09/22/2007 03:33 PM

Sara, good luck with the nudis, it sounds like you have a good plan, especially with the addition of the wrasses. It certainly sucks that you have been nailed with all three of the worst sps bugs.

Sara B 09/22/2007 05:27 PM

Thanks everyone. A friend is hooking me up with some Potassium Permanganate that I will receive next week. I will treat with that and QT and hopefully I will beat this pest!