Reef Central Online Community Archives

Reef Central Online Community Archives (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Reef Fishes (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   Purple Firefish... (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=656633)

PuffersKick 08/25/2005 10:33 AM

Purple Firefish...

Saw a beautiful Purple Firefish and was thinkgin about getting him. It was actually bigger than most of the ones I've seen. Anything to worry about with these guys?

crzy4reefs 08/25/2005 11:24 AM

just have a secure lid. they can be jumpers.what tank is it going into and what are the other fish in the tank. they can be shy and hide for a few days. but i like them better then the red fire fish

Conceyted 08/25/2005 11:29 AM

I love the purple firefish. I have heard they are jumpers and that has kept me from getting them, but lately I have been hearing that as long as you dont have any aggressive fish that chase them they should not jump.

A guy at my lfs recently told me, "when they are chased, the first place they go is straight up. Otherwise, they stay under the water."

ozadars 08/25/2005 11:45 AM

I used to have one about 2 years ago. They are very hardy and interesting/entertaining IMO. However, even if you dont have any aggressive fish, they can jump out because a rock fall, turning the lights of the tank or the room on/off and many other things can cause them jump.

Trigger 2 08/25/2005 12:33 PM

pufferskick, they will get bullied and jump in both of your tanks. i would skip the firefish or setup a nano cube for 1.

PuffersKick 08/25/2005 12:58 PM

I was going to put him in my reef tank with a Blue Tang, Yellow Tang, Sailfin Tang, some Chromis, and Anthias. None of my fish are overly aggresive. Would this not work?

Trigger 2 08/25/2005 02:52 PM

i think the tangs may bully it and maybe the anthias. im not 100% sure but they are easily bullied and when they are they will jump out, not worth it. maybe you should go with a blenny.

AlliCat0225 08/25/2005 04:21 PM

They should be fine - try to get them in a pair, if you can. I had two Firefish in a 180 Gallon with many different Tangs and they were fine. JUST AS LONG AS YOU HAVE A LOT - AND I MEAN A LOT - OF LIVE ROCK. This will offer them protection and make them feel more secure...
***HOWEVER*** The problem you will have is adding them to the tank... They should have been added first... Because now they will have to quickly try and find a hiding spot (If it isn't already taken...) because your Tangs will most likely chase them everywhere right after being dropped in.

Trigger 2 08/25/2005 04:23 PM

still its not worth it. the fish will bully it and it will get stressed and die or jump out. not worth it.

pco1988 08/25/2005 10:26 PM

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Conceyted [/i]
[B]I love the purple firefish. I have heard they are jumpers and that has kept me from getting them, but lately I have been hearing that as long as you dont have any aggressive fish that chase them they should not jump.

A guy at my lfs recently told me, "when they are chased, the first place they go is straight up. Otherwise, they stay under the water." [/B][/QUOTE]

I had one in my 120 and it doesn't have a top but it died because it couldn't live in the conditions because I have a juv. Sohal Tang and a juv. Red Sea Sailfin and they need a higher salinity so it died of ich (did the best I could but catching a fire fish in a 120 wasn't going to happen. He didn't care about the tangs at all, he even swam with the sailfin sometimes. (That was cool).

When I upgrade to a 240 or 300 I will get a couple of the purples again. They are just so fragile to salinity and temperature changes what I have observed.

Hope this has helped you a little. If you have the correct set up go for it.

Trigger 2 08/26/2005 09:09 AM

yes they are sensative.

PuffersKick 08/26/2005 10:44 AM

I decided to pass. If I even have a remote doubt about a fish working I'd rather not risk it.

Trigger 2 08/26/2005 10:50 AM

good choice.