Reef Central Online Community Archives

Reef Central Online Community Archives (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=212)
-   -   Euro Reef Gen X pump ? (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1009983)

notajr.fan 01/04/2007 09:07 PM

Euro Reef Gen X pump ?

I just picked up one of the RS 80 Promo skimmers and have a question about the pump. When I first plugged it in nothing happened, no noise, no water movement. I fiddled around with the bayonet and it started moving water but boy is this thing loud. Is this normal, does the noise subside during break in or did I get a bunk pump?

cwklinge 01/04/2007 09:15 PM

The pump is really loud isn't it! I'm in the same situation and from my understanding there might be a problem with the impeller being cut too long. I've tried to contact ER but haven't gotten a reply yet.

sjm817 01/04/2007 09:18 PM

This is the 2nd post I've seen of the RS80 having a Gen-X pump instead of the Sedra. Both complain of it being very noisy. I would contact the vendor you bought it from and see what they have to say. If it is too noisy, I would send it back. It came with a different pump than what is advertised.

EDIT
The other guy posted while I was typing. In both cases, if it is too noisy, and has a different pump than advertised, I would send it back.

notajr.fan 01/04/2007 09:25 PM

Thanks, I did not even notice that, although it does say SP2 on the Euro Reef label. If it is mis-matched my order from this vendor will be a complete bust. The Ocean Runner pump I ordered is missing the filter basket and lid.

i dont eat fish 01/04/2007 09:26 PM

I got my "promo" ER cs 80 tonight and it came with a sedra 3500. No noise, and I already have a half cup of gunk. I got mine from premium aquatics.

notajr.fan 01/04/2007 09:31 PM

Must be luck of the draw b/c that is where mine came from.

sjm817 01/04/2007 09:34 PM

At least you bought it from a good (best) vendor. Call them up. They will make it right.

cwklinge 01/05/2007 07:58 AM

I also bought my at Premium.

I wanted to update everyone. I contacted Chip at ER and he said that if you have the promo model and it is loud then he will fix the problem (probably the impeller). When I contact him back I'll ask about the Gen-X pump and let you know what I find out.

sjm817 01/05/2007 08:23 AM

Good to hear. I'm curious what the performance specs are. The Gen-X pumps on the larger skimmers significantly outperform the Sedras they replaced.

notajr.fan 01/05/2007 02:59 PM

I just got off the phone w/Chip over a Euro Reef and asked him what the difference is between the two pumps besides wattage and why they no longer use the sedra pumps. He said that they got a good deal on the Gen X pumps because they did not have the printing on one side? and they still do use sedra pumps. He also said that the impeller chamber is a little shorter and that is why the problem exists, the noise is the impeller hitting the housing. Only problem is I need the serial number off the skimmer for them to ship a new impeller and unfortunately I am at work.

cwklinge 01/05/2007 03:02 PM

Thanks for the update. I'm in the same spot. Skimmer is at home and I'm at work!

RichConley 01/05/2007 04:04 PM

FWIW, performancewise, the GenXs destroy the sedras.