Reef Central Online Community Archives

Reef Central Online Community Archives (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Coral Propagation and Aquaculture (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=157)
-   -   Coralline Algae ? (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=558303)

FxdupCobra 03/25/2005 02:02 PM

Coralline Algae ?

I have 2 inquiries:
1) In my first tank I have about 40 lbs of live rock (no coral) and I just wanted to have more of the Coralline Algae growing on my rocks. I bought bottle Kent Calcium and the directions say to add a capful per every 55 gallons, do I add the amount that I would if I had coral? Do I add less since I don’t? Does it matter?

(I did buy a Red Sea Calcium test kit as well)

2) I also have a 29 gallon coral reef tank, my kent Calcium bottle says to keep adding calcium every day until I reach the right amount. I am testing the calcium is it ok to add a dose for a 29 gallon tank every day until it is reached or do I have to give a fraction of that since I already have calcium present?

Kaos 03/25/2005 06:57 PM

I wouldn't add any calcium unless it is below the 400-475 range. As long as your cal. and alk are fine your coraline should take care of itself (w/ apropriate lights of course). If you want to help it along some you can take a brush and scrub a piece or two of LR in front of a ph.

ahenson 03/27/2005 12:01 AM

I only add pickling lime, but it is 100% of my makeup water. Corraline seems to grow best in high flow areas and lower light. I have 400w halides. I think you can't go wrong with adding kalk, it's so much cheaper.

FxdupCobra 03/29/2005 09:01 PM

QUOTE]1) In my first tank I have about 40 lbs of live rock (no coral) and I just wanted to have more of the Coralline Algae growing on my rocks. I bought bottle Kent Calcium and the directions say to add a capful per every 55 gallons, do I add the amount that I would if I had coral? Do I add less since I don’t? Does it matter?[/QUOTE]

For my first question above on that tank I only have a 40 watt florcent bulb, is it possible to grow the corraline algea with that type of lighting by adding calcium?[

Treeman 03/29/2005 09:04 PM

Coraline algae also uses a lot of magnesium. But I wouldn't add anything to your tank until you test to see where it is so you know how much to add.

Stubing 03/31/2005 01:48 PM

[QUOTE][B]For my first question above on that tank I only have a 40 watt florcent bulb, is it possible to grow the corraline algea with that type of lighting by adding calcium?[ [/B][/QUOTE]

No. Standard florecent bulbs will not grow coraline...or corals...or anything. You should consider a massive lighting upgrade if you intend to prop corals.

Kaos 03/31/2005 08:43 PM

Actually coralline algae doesn't require much light. One of the most covered tanks I've seen was one w/ only NO lighting. I think he had two or four 4' bulbs on a 55gal. He was having trouble controlling it as it was growing like crazy.

ahenson 03/31/2005 09:52 PM

My best growth is on the overflow behind my tank.

slave-of-rock 04/01/2005 03:44 AM

i have the best growth in my sump with 2 7100k NO bulbs, 13 watts each, i just scraped 2 days ago and theres already spots growing it back...

Funky_Fish14 04/01/2005 04:16 AM

Actinics are supposed to be good and as shown lower light, higher current. Just make sure your calcium is above 400. Reef complete(by seachem) is good because it also adds magnesium and strontium ontop of the main ingredient of calcium.

Chris

Mattw2190 04/01/2005 05:18 PM

I have used the Kent products but have seen a lot better results from using the Seachem line. The Kent calcium almost looks like water when you put it into your tank and it uses a lot of it to raise the calcium even just a small amount. The Seachem is almost syrupy in form and you will definitely see results that you will appreciate from your testing kit. Everyone has their favorite buffers but even though the Seachem is a little more expensive, from what I've seen its worth the extra.

Funky_Fish14 04/02/2005 01:00 AM

I guess I should add all my addatives are seachem, and I get good corraline growth. I have some insane corraline for my only 3 month old 33. Im guessing that all the rock will be basically completely covered by Christmas.

Chris

slave-of-rock 04/02/2005 01:08 AM

sweet! my tank is doing amazing to for only 5 months, coraline is growing nuts in the main tank considering my lights, PC's :lol:, i should have my hailides up by sun SWEET! heh, i dont dose anything in my tank, but i do a 10g water change every sat.

Funky_Fish14 04/04/2005 08:30 PM

Like has been said above, its not brighter lights that help corraline, its lower light. PC's do good growing corraline, cause they arent super strong lights.

Chris

clavery 04/04/2005 08:42 PM

I agree with the lighting comments. I have PCs over a 70G and have to scrape the coraline off the sides and thermometer quite frequently. Hubby has a 120G with 3 250W MHs, and he has had much less coraline growth - seems to get the most on his bare bottom, as the light is less strong down there!!!

Salamander 04/10/2005 09:29 PM

Wish I could get rid of the stuff...