Reef Central Online Community Archives

Reef Central Online Community Archives (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   New to the Hobby (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=104)
-   -   No Mech. Filtration (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1274772)

akopley 12/18/2007 10:50 PM

No Mech. Filtration

I have been running my 24 gallon nano for the past two months with no mechanical filtration. I ran an overflow with a euro reef protein skimmer, 18 watt uv and a fuge before. i got rid of all that stuff and everything still seems to be doing fine even though there is no sand bed only 45 lbs. of LR. I have been doing monthly 5 gallon water changes and everything seems to be doing fine. Am I getting lucky?

[url]http://s113.photobucket.com/albums/n215/akopley/?action=view&current=Picture346.flv[/url]

kau_cinta_ku 12/18/2007 10:55 PM

no need for mech. filtration with good LR and a Good protien skimmer. that is the way you want it setup :D

ArgonDreams 12/18/2007 11:36 PM

[QUOTE][i]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11415371#post11415371 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kau_cinta_ku [/i]
[B]no need for mech. filtration with good LR and a Good protien skimmer. that is the way you want it setup :D [/B][/QUOTE]

I'm sorry, seeing this point of view repeatedly presented as the ideal setup choice bothers me. Mechanical filtration is more a matter of personal choice and not the "ideal" setup. In fact I personally have noticed the vast majority of people using some form of it in the most successful of systems.

The unfair cry against mechanical filtration has always been the overused "nitrate factory" suggestion. However with even basic cleaning of the material given regular water changes (i.e. weekly as most people do) won't produces a nitrate factory.

So, in answer to your original question, a lot people use some form of mechanical filtration. Be it a filter sock, canister filter, filter floss, power filter, a dirty sock.... and have had good results. Well.... Ok not the dirty sock. However as with everything in this hobby you need to maintain it often.

I dare anyone to suggest Paul B not use his diatom filter or question his methods given his success and longevity.

mg426 12/19/2007 12:31 AM

Mech filtration if properly maintained can be of some benifit. It is when it is neglected that problems arise. I use no mech filtration and I have good success with my system.

steven_dean17 12/19/2007 01:01 AM

I think it will be just fine not to use mechanical filtration on your system. I've seen it done with great success and am sure you can do it as well. Good luck and have a happy fraggin day.

LaurentSeattle 12/19/2007 01:26 AM

Mechanical filtration is a cheap and easy way to remove detritus from your system. It does work well when done properly.

Using it means regular cleaning and replacing clogged filtration media.

Not using it means extra expenses on GFO, active carbon, better (i.e. more expensive) skimming and often additional equipment and more frequent water changes.

Your choice of extra work or extra spending...

uscharalph 12/19/2007 03:04 AM

My favorite form of physical filtration is a filter sock.

Paul B 12/19/2007 08:29 AM

At some point you will need some sort of mechanical filter. Could you see my tank after three decades if I diden't periodically remove solids?
THose solids will remain there, or degrade if not removed.
I have a RUGF which is a course mechanical filter and it has always been in there.
As was said, I also occasionally use a diatom filter which cleans out the rock and generally stirs up everything, removing cyanobacteria, algae spores, "some" paracites and any other tiny matter that I want to rid myself of anyway.
Have a great day.
Paul

adtravels 12/19/2007 08:49 AM

[QUOTE][i]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11415657#post11415657 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ArgonDreams [/i]
[B]I'm sorry, seeing this point of view repeatedly presented as the ideal setup choice bothers me. Mechanical filtration is more a matter of personal choice and not the "ideal" setup. In fact I personally have noticed the vast majority of people using some form of it in the most successful of systems.

The unfair cry against mechanical filtration has always been the overused "nitrate factory" suggestion. However with even basic cleaning of the material given regular water changes (i.e. weekly as most people do) won't produces a nitrate factory.

So, in answer to your original question, a lot people use some form of mechanical filtration. Be it a filter sock, canister filter, filter floss, power filter, a dirty sock.... and have had good results. Well.... Ok not the dirty sock. However as with everything in this hobby you need to maintain it often.

I dare anyone to suggest Paul B not use his diatom filter or question his methods given his success and longevity. [/B][/QUOTE]

I tend to agree with you argon dreams, a filter sock washed out every couple of days does wonders and can prevent microbubbles:strooper:

akopley 12/19/2007 02:09 PM

thanks for all your responses. I have no overflow so a filter sock wouldn't help me much. Is there any use in the mini protein skimmer i see for sale? Or maybe a remora would fit on the back of my aquapod.

Savas 12/19/2007 02:20 PM

I have an aquapod 24 and have been running it for two years now with no mechanical filtration. I removed the sponge filter and bioballs in favor of live rock rubble. I tried the Fission nano skimmer and found it to be wholely inadequate. The remora and sapphire skimmer are excellent options but ruin the enclosed look.

seapug 12/19/2007 02:57 PM

Congratulations. Seems to me you've found the "sweet spot" as far as stocking and maintenance of your tank goes. If your tank looks good with no mechanical filtration then don't change it, it is the ideal situation to have.

I had a 6 gal NC a couple years back that ran the same way. Something about balance between the rock, livestock and my weekly maintenance routine kept it absolutely immaculate with zero mechanical filtration. No skimmer either. Too bad I gave the whole setup to a friend when I moved. Here's the only pic I saved of it:

[img]http://www.nano-reef.com/gallery/data/2/medium/6gal_all.jpg[/img]

akopley 12/19/2007 03:21 PM

awesome...its nice to know that with the proper maintenance certain equipment can be avoided.