Reef Central Online Community Archives

Reef Central Online Community Archives (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Do It Yourself (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   heaters in rubbermaid? (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1253883)

buddy381 11/19/2007 01:15 PM

heaters in rubbermaid?

I was going to set up a rubbermaid sump/fuge.......my question is can i place the heaters for the tank down into a rubbermaid sump/fuge? will the container stand the heat from them do i need to get a piece of glass or something to place against the wall to ensure it doesn't melt!!

RandyStacyE 11/19/2007 01:29 PM

The only time I've ever had a meltdown was to my own stupidity ... the heater was touching the Rubbermaid while above water. Don't ask how :)

If your heater came with suction cups that connect to the heater I would use the suction cups as feet which would keep the heater off of the bottom. That's what I do.

I doubt that the heater will melt the plastic while it's under water, but it sure doesn't hurt to play it safe.

coolfish5 11/19/2007 01:38 PM

I'll second Randy's comments. I have had a heater melt a Rubbermaid tank, but it was due to dropping the water level and the heater was left on one of the ridges. I've used many heaters, mostly glass tube style, in Rubbermaid containers without any problem, even when resting directly on the bottom (and properly submerged).

cannarella 11/19/2007 01:58 PM

Just put the heaters in a high current area in the sump. Mine are laying on the bottom with no problem.

bobbet43 11/19/2007 02:00 PM

you can always use a piece of pvc to put the heater in

gadgetboy 11/19/2007 02:45 PM

[QUOTE][i]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11214481#post11214481 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bobbet43 [/i]
[B]you can always use a piece of pvc to put the heater in [/B][/QUOTE]

I would think that would cause poor heat distribution and possibly the heater shutting down because it thinks the water is warm enough and it is... inside the PVC! :lol:

BeanAnimal 11/19/2007 07:50 PM

There should be no problem as long as the heater stays covered with water.

lecher 11/19/2007 11:05 PM

Ive had mine resting on the bottom with no suction cups for over a year with no problems.

MyFishHaveTat2s 11/20/2007 02:23 AM

I put a glass dinner plate on the bottom, heater lays on it. Better safe then sorry...IMO

durango_doug 11/30/2007 11:46 AM

Try placing a milk jug full of water into a campfire full of coals and you will be completely convinced that there will never be a problem with a heater sitting on the bottom of a tank.

cannarella 11/30/2007 11:55 AM

Uhh, not a good analogy considering fires can't turn off when they reach 80deg and back on when needed... Do you heat your tank with fire? I can reach in and grab my heater and it will get real warm but not burn immeditally. The water cools the heater warming the water.

jerryz 11/30/2007 12:11 PM

OK build a paper box and then set on the stove after filling it with with water. Results are the same as the water jug in the fire. Network Analyst... did you miss physics?

[QUOTE][i]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11285911#post11285911 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cannarella [/i]
[B]Uhh, not a good analogy considering fires can't turn off when they reach 80deg and back on when needed... Do you heat your tank with fire? I can reach in and grab my heater and it will get real warm but not burn immeditally. The water cools the heater warming the water. [/B][/QUOTE]

cannarella 11/30/2007 12:27 PM

No I didn't miss physics, I made an A Mr. Software Developer... You are missing the point that the water absorbs the heat so it is not directly applied to the plastic. I would agree that if you left the heater out in free air on the plastic it would dis form it.

Also if you fill a paper box with water it will fall apart and either extinguish the gas flame or short out the electric burner. You are applying the heat externally instead of within the water. That is why the analogy doesn't work. Read the second post. It explains it all.

BeanAnimal 11/30/2007 02:47 PM

There is no problem laying the heater on the bottom of the container.

You can also set a paper dixie cup full of water on the stove and it will not burn (until the water evaporates).

You may remember your science teacher taking a white paper "pill cup" or "catchup cup" and setting it directly in the flame on a Bunsen burner.... the cup does not burn and holds water :)

Ever try to sweat a pipe with water in it? Why does the bottom of your water heater not glow cherry red, or for that matter your spaghetti pot?

durango_doug 12/05/2007 06:37 AM

I was arguing your point cannarella. I should have been more clear of that.