Reef Central Online Community Archives

Reef Central Online Community Archives (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Coral Propagation and Aquaculture (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=157)
-   -   SIMPLE mushroom prop. (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=667602)

Surfzup2k4 09/11/2005 09:55 PM

SIMPLE mushroom prop.

Well, I had a loose hairy mushroom that I needed to do something with. I had a small rock, so I took it and put a rubberband around it. At this point, I was frusterated with it. I had been shooving it in holes and stuff for weeks. When i banded it, it spilled it's guts. I was thinking if it makes it great, if it doesn't, oh well. Well, it split in half.... and made 2! They both attatched and not they are both about the same size as the original! This was about 3 weeks ago. The mushrooms now are about 4" full open. I know this is old, but it is just a reminder for someone who have overlooked it before. it works!

Oblivionis 09/11/2005 11:13 PM

Interesting, I was actually looking for a way to get my red mushroom to multiply.
Is there anything else I can do to get my single mushroom to start splitting?

Surfzup2k4 09/11/2005 11:30 PM

nothing other than time. You can cut them, that works, but you will have to look it up, I don't have any experience personally :)

ZURCSREEF 09/12/2005 01:30 AM

Does this method work with Ricordea Florida?

organism 09/12/2005 06:06 PM

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by ZURCSREEF [/i]
[B]Does this method work with Ricordea Florida? [/B][/QUOTE]

it does, but with varying degrees of success, they're a little more susceptible to infection than discosomas

sandiegan 09/17/2005 02:55 PM

For regular red mushrooms, cutting them works just fine. Been there, done that, have a tank full of them now

integra 09/27/2005 05:24 PM

hi sandiegan,
somehow I missed this part. can you post your idea again on how to cut the shroom to multiply it? thanks, integra

sandiegan 09/27/2005 08:46 PM

hmm...basically take a shroom, cut it off at the base. So now you have a disk. Cut that into thirds or quarters, trying to get a piece of the mouth (middle) on each piece. Not necessary, but helps heal faster. Then put the pieces in a low flow area (very low flow, but still a little). Let them heal (~week or so) then put them on a rock w/ some wedding veil if you want and they'll attach after a bit.

TimD 09/28/2005 10:12 AM

I haven't really had a problem with propagating mushrooms. I have some violet mushrooms that are nearly overrunning my tank. They grow and grow and grow and little babies grow up from underneath the larger ones, and then let go of the rock to float somewhere else, then attach and start growing and making babies.... In a little over a year I've gone from one rock with 4 mushrooms on it to probably upwards of 60 mushrooms. And I've given away or traded a bunch more.