Reef Central Online Community Archives

Reef Central Online Community Archives (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Bay Area - Reefers (BAR) (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=298)
-   -   any local lfs or breeder have this fish>>>> (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=937112)

orientalexpress 09/25/2006 02:43 PM

any local lfs or breeder have this fish>>>>

[url]http://www.liveaquaria.com/diversden/ItemDisplay.cfm?ddid=10363&siteid=20[/url]

damn,those are nice

GreshamH 09/25/2006 02:46 PM

No one but TMC is doing those IIRC. Theiy're something like 1 out a thousand when breed ;) IMO the Picasso is much better looking :D

Elite 09/25/2006 03:06 PM

wow $500 each...

Edit: pair... still too much :D

Jesus 09/25/2006 04:35 PM

Concept had those fish about 2 months ago along with the black
perculas from Austrialia. The picasso came from ORA. They went for $50 ea.

jesus

sulcata1619 09/25/2006 09:42 PM

Too much for a fish. I'd spend that on a coral in a heartbeat

KuanTi 09/25/2006 10:10 PM

ultimate aquarium had some like it couple months ago. almost bought some, but decided to go for the black percs instead. they usually get a big clownfish shipment every now and then.

sfsuphysics 09/25/2006 10:46 PM

Blah...someone breeds a mutation and people go ga-ga over it. *sigh* But I guess it's ok because they're "tank bred"

delsol650 09/26/2006 09:53 AM

too each too his/her own.. what even makes yeah happy and if you could afford it. go for it and (Blah) to what ever comment anyone's got to say..

GreshamH 09/26/2006 11:25 AM

[QUOTE][i]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8219016#post8219016 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Jesus [/i]
[B]Concept had those fish about 2 months ago along with the black
perculas from Austrialia. The picasso came from ORA. They went for $50 ea.

jesus [/B][/QUOTE]

Well Concepts blew that one then :D The limit for Picasso's is two, and the waiting list is 4+ pages long.

dantodd 09/26/2006 02:20 PM

Must not have been "real" picasso's then because they had atleast 3. They are simply a misbarred fish and I'm sure there are a lot that are wildly misbarred but not badly enough to be called picasso.

dantodd 09/26/2006 04:07 PM

Must not have been "real" picasso's then because they had atleast 3. They are simply a misbarred fish and I'm sure there are a lot that are wildly misbarred but not badly enough to be called picasso.

GreshamH 09/26/2006 04:30 PM

The Picasso's come from only one pair amongst the many hundreds that ORA has breeding. It's not just a simple miss bar, otherwise it would be far more common. It has to do with resesive genes, etc.

dantodd 09/26/2006 08:03 PM

I know about their pair. There are actually a couple good pics in the clownfish forum of the male who is the misbar. The female of the pair is normally barred.

It does appear that the mis-barring is genetic and not just a matter of poor nutrition/grow out tank parameters which seems to cause a lot of the less dramatic mis-barring that we see.

Depending upon who you ask it seems that a very small percentage of the offspring of picasso producers are actually dramatically mis-barred. What AC had were either less dramatic mis-bars from this pair or significantly mis-barred clowns from another pair. I am fairly certain they were labeled picasso.

Of course, this is the problem with common names. These names like onyx, snowflake, jigsaw etc. are all unrelated to the species of the fish, they area color morph and as such there are no real rules to what one might call the fish or which fish can have the names applied.

GreshamH 09/26/2006 08:08 PM

[QUOTE][i]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8227688#post8227688 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dantodd [/i]
[B]I know about their pair. There are actually a couple good pics in the clownfish forum of the male who is the misbar. The female of the pair is normally barred.

It does appear that the mis-barring is genetic and not just a matter of poor nutrition/grow out tank parameters which seems to cause a lot of the less dramatic mis-barring that we see.

Depending upon who you ask it seems that a very small percentage of the offspring of picasso producers are actually dramatically mis-barred. What AC had were either less dramatic mis-bars from this pair or significantly mis-barred clowns from another pair. I am fairly certain they were labeled picasso.

Of course, this is the problem with common names. These names like onyx, snowflake, jigsaw etc. are all unrelated to the species of the fish, they area color morph and as such there are no real rules to what one might call the fish or which fish can have the names applied. [/B][/QUOTE]

Does Vince and Kevin count :d That's whom I talked to, and since they run the hatchery, I'm banking on what they say :lol:

dantodd 09/26/2006 08:45 PM

[QUOTE][i]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8227718#post8227718 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by GreshamH [/i]
[B]Does Vince and Kevin count :d That's whom I talked to, and since they run the hatchery, I'm banking on what they say :lol: [/B][/QUOTE]

Not sure what you mean. I know that there is only one pair producing picasso, as I said. I have heard that only a very small number of their fry are maketable as picasso. The only person I know of at ORA is oama on the boards and AFAIK he has declined to say exactly what percentage. I don't blame him, that can be pretty confidential info. The numbers I've heard range from less than 1% to as much as 10% though I doubt the higher number.

Apparently TMC is even more secretive about the pair they have that is producing snowflakes. That or they simply don't have anyone here on RC or the clown boards.

Newreeflady 09/26/2006 08:48 PM

Am I the only one who thinks those are ugly fish? lol!!

-A

GreshamH 09/27/2006 07:30 PM

[QUOTE][i]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8228022#post8228022 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dantodd [/i]
[B]Not sure what you mean. I know that there is only one pair producing picasso, as I said. I have heard that only a very small number of their fry are maketable as picasso. The only person I know of at ORA is oama on the boards and AFAIK he has declined to say exactly what percentage. I don't blame him, that can be pretty confidential info. The numbers I've heard range from less than 1% to as much as 10% though I doubt the higher number.

Apparently TMC is even more secretive about the pair they have that is producing snowflakes. That or they simply don't have anyone here on RC or the clown boards. [/B][/QUOTE]

Vince R. is the sales manager, Kevin G. is the hatchery manager. I spoke with both at great length @ MACNA.

dantodd 09/27/2006 07:54 PM

So, did they give you any insight on what percentage of the fry are marketable as "snowflake clowns?"

GreshamH 09/27/2006 08:07 PM

Nope, didn't talk about Snowflakes, just Picasssos. Under 1%.

smellyfish 09/28/2006 03:18 PM

I've got to agree with Newreeflady, I'm not too attracted to that fish, it looks like someone got sick and hurled all over it and it is dripping down the side of the fish.

Elite 09/28/2006 03:31 PM

Wanna see ugly fish.. Ask Mr. Ugly .. He has some.. :D

KuanTi 09/28/2006 05:51 PM

they have a grim appeal to them. like a freak show. granted i would never pay that much for something so freakish... i can see the appeal. Thats why i have jelly bean parrots!!!!!

jedininja 09/28/2006 05:57 PM

Jelly bean parrots are entirely different than naturally ugly. Jelly bean parrots are cruely injected with dyes as well as often physically mutilated by chopping off fins to make them look "cute."

KuanTi 09/28/2006 06:18 PM

hahah ok well... i don't know of many naturally occuring ones, that's one that just jumped to mind.

oama 09/28/2006 07:32 PM

I think I have been very forward with information about Picasso's.

[url]http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/search.php?s=&action=showresults&searchid=7304186&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending[/url]