Reef Central Online Community Archives

Reef Central Online Community Archives (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Soft Coral Keepers (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=424)
-   -   Finally...the return of the soft corals. (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=836900)

lvreefer 05/02/2006 06:40 PM

Finally...the return of the soft corals.

Well I was really suprised and happy to see that a soft coral forum has finally been setup. I think its time for the soft corals to regain there respect unmung the reef community. I think all of us should make time to post pics and try to regain the popularity of the awesome corals. I'll post some of mine later tonight.

BTW: The pics from the previous post were awesome.

Nagel 05/02/2006 07:02 PM

Soft corals are WHY I got into reefing. Its about the mesmerizing motion, not the "candybox of colors" in an SPS tank to me.. Give me motion over a myriad of colors anyday!!!!

crrichey 05/03/2006 06:32 PM

Why not both???

Nagel 05/03/2006 06:38 PM

Soft corals emit toxins / chemical warfare which severely limit SPS growth. Softies touching SPS can also kill them..

ZoeReef 05/04/2006 04:08 PM

Nagel, and yet some seem to be able to blend both. Is it a matter of density?

lvreefer 05/04/2006 05:21 PM

[QUOTE][i]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7304732#post7304732 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ZoeReef [/i]
[B]Nagel, and yet some seem to be able to blend both. Is it a matter of density? [/B][/QUOTE]

It all depends on the type of soft coral being kept with SPS. Location in the tank can have a HUGE factor in compatibility.

ZoeReef 05/04/2006 06:01 PM

Hmmmm this is an artform indeed. I just purchased a 160 system (120 main, 2 -20g displays) and the person who owned it was striaght SPS. Part of the deal was that I got a frag of each coral.

NOW..I'm kind of in a quandry in a way. I'm setting it up next week while a friend keeps the frags. I like soft corals. I don't have 6 months to age the tank.

So whats a guy to do...

AngeloM3 05/05/2006 10:44 AM

[QUOTE][i]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7292325#post7292325 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Nagel [/i]
[B]Soft corals are WHY I got into reefing. Its about the mesmerizing motion, not the "candybox of colors" in an SPS tank to me.. Give me motion over a myriad of colors anyday!!!! [/B][/QUOTE]

Its not the color... is the motion of the ocean that counts!

lvreefer 05/05/2006 12:10 PM

[QUOTE][i]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7305381#post7305381 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ZoeReef [/i]
[B]Hmmmm this is an artform indeed. I just purchased a 160 system (120 main, 2 -20g displays) and the person who owned it was striaght SPS. Part of the deal was that I got a frag of each coral.

NOW..I'm kind of in a quandry in a way. I'm setting it up next week while a friend keeps the frags. I like soft corals. I don't have 6 months to age the tank.

So whats a guy to do... [/B][/QUOTE]

Was the guy upgrading his tank? You should try to get you hands on fully cured live rock, established live sand, and 50% or more of aged saltwater (established reef). If you can not get enough water for the entire system then setup one of the smaller tanks and later use it as a frag tank:thumbsup:

Ken-21 05/06/2006 10:03 AM

10 years in the hobbie and I'm still trying to blend the two. At one point my softies overtook my tank. I just now got it back to half and half.