Reef Central Online Community Archives

Reef Central Online Community Archives (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=212)
-   -   GENX 4100 BAD! BAD! BAD! Pump. (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=563467)

Aquaduck 04/01/2005 08:58 AM

GENX 4100 BAD! BAD! BAD! Pump.

Have a look at this garbage they selling to us. This pump was used in my sump as a return for only 6 months. I took the back off to clean it and was unpleasantly surprised to see rust everywhere. I also pulled the impeller and it was rusting as well. They use some kind of low grade stainless steel casing over the impeller. There is a 1 year warranty on the pump. I wonder if I should get it replaced or just toss it in the trash-can. A replacement will probably not be any better if they don't change the materials.

[IMG]http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/55972rust.JPG[/IMG]

Psyire 04/01/2005 12:15 PM

not cool...

pecan2phat 04/01/2005 02:02 PM

Thanks for the post.
Now I need to check the 4100 that's in my sump!

d4a2n0k 04/01/2005 02:20 PM

My 4100 did this after about 4 months. It was packaged with my MRC skimmer. The impellar was half rusted.

I didnt go through warranty because as you said, it will only happen again.

I ended up throwing it in the trash and made a mental note to never buy another Gen-X pump again.

myreef 04/01/2005 02:37 PM

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by d4a2n0k [/i]
[B]My 4100 did this after about 4 months. It was packaged with my MRC skimmer. The impellar was half rusted.

I didnt go through warranty because as you said, it will only happen again.

I ended up throwing it in the trash and made a mental note to never buy another Gen-X pump again. [/B][/QUOTE]

Please contact me ...if you threw it away..we will take care of you! Please send me an email [email]andy@myreefcreations.com[/email].

I will contact Stephen from PCI also and let him know of this post...

d4a2n0k 04/01/2005 02:44 PM

Andy,

I didnt buy it directly from you, I got it from Tony at Reef Exotics, if that makes any difference. The pump is a goner now. I held on to it for a month or so but then thought it would end up doing the same thing anyway so I just chucked it out.

Thanks

myreef 04/01/2005 02:45 PM

I will point Tony towards this thread too... Thanks!

gath2 04/01/2005 03:21 PM

I have never used any of the Gen-X internal pumps, but the external pumps are very nice. I just wanted to make note that not all Gen-X pumps are bad. Obviously SS was a bad choice for Salt Water.

tampa-reefer 04/01/2005 04:27 PM

Wow, that sucks. The external pumps are nice as stated by Gath2. But dang they could have shelled out a few extra bucks to incase in epoxy.

acropora 04/01/2005 07:10 PM

I have discussed the photo above with Pacific Coast Imports the supplier of Gen X water pumps. The following is their response.

"The stainless steel metal showing on the back of the pump is for the thermal overload protection and is an improvement that has been made in the quality of the design. The rust looking material on the stainless steel is metal ions from your aquarium water that has attracted to the stainless steel. It can be removed with some steel wool .It will look shinny underneath the metal ions that have accumulated on it."

Stephen A. Weeks
Pacific Coast Imports Inc.

d4a2n0k Please come see me and we will take care of this.

Thank you
Tony Concialdi
Reef Exotics
[url]www.acropora.net[/url]

Aquaduck 04/01/2005 11:20 PM

I have a 316 stainless steel water level sensor in my sump and it doesn't attract "metal ions" like that!

Ereefic 04/01/2005 11:34 PM

I've got the 8500 pump, I'll pull it apart and see if it's the same thing.

Ereefic 04/02/2005 01:52 AM

Here is the back of my gen-x 8500, there is no metal at all exposed, all epoxyed in. This pump is a little over a year old.

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v507/ereefic/Gen-X8500Small.jpg[/IMG]

fishfood2581 04/02/2005 02:17 AM

has anyone cut this plate off , its just a heat spreader. im gonna snip it off of mine and silcone the exposed edge the cutting leaves. They really ned to ditch the stainless covered impeller magnets too. Not a good idea

Clown-lover 04/02/2005 06:12 AM

Get a replacement on warranty then sell it on Ebay *not suitable for saltwater use*

Aquaduck 04/02/2005 11:43 AM

From what I heard that plate is for the pumps thermal protection. Cutting it off may cause trouble and will void any warranty you have.

The metal is decomposing. Look at the two circled holes that rusted through the plate in the lower part of the picture.

Sounds like GenX is trying to avoid the fact the stainless steel they used us of a poor quality. I'll accept a replacement but only if it has NO metal parts on it. I won't let this issue be ignored until GenX does something to address this problem. Trying to make us beleive that metal ions are coming out of the water and sticking to the plate is rediculous and insulting to my intelligence.

[IMG]http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/55972rust-up-close-small.jpg[/IMG]

Aquaduck 04/02/2005 05:21 PM

True stainless steel is not magnetic. Well magnets are highly attracted to this steel plate. So it's not safe for saltwater at all.

jarhed 04/04/2005 11:17 AM

wow......

just wow. MRC hops in and offers help faster than two rabbits starting a family, Reef Exotics hops in and works on the issue...

I knew damn well I should have bought that MRC Skimmer instead of that nice looking copy on Ebay.

THAT is customer service, even though he was not your customer. Very impressive.

d4a2n0k 04/04/2005 11:54 AM

That is excellent customer service. I just stopped by Reef Exotics and got myself a new pump! This is months after I threw the first one in the garbage.

So to MRC, Reef Exotics and PCI - THANK YOU!

Aquaduck 04/04/2005 12:26 PM

Hmmm... I'm still waiting for an answer from my supplier.

Aquaduck 04/04/2005 12:32 PM

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by d4a2n0k [/i]
[B]That is excellent customer service. I just stopped by Reef Exotics and got myself a new pump! This is months after I threw the first one in the garbage.

So to MRC, Reef Exotics and PCI - THANK YOU! [/B][/QUOTE]

Does the new pump have the exposed bracket and steel impeller cover?

djtodd 04/04/2005 12:48 PM

Saltwater safe my bright white heiny.

Whats the email address to these guys? I would love to tell them what I think of these pumps.

Strongly agree. Don't buy these pumps!

[IMG]http://www.industrial-video.com/lj/gx4100.jpg[/IMG]

d4a2n0k 04/04/2005 12:52 PM

I havent checked yet as Im still at work. Im lucky to work 5 minutes away from Reef Exotics so I took a "cigarette break" and drove there.

When I get home, I will take some pictures and will post them.

I think either way, Im just going to use the pump for water changes. I already replaced the pump for my skimmer so I really dont need the pump but its nice to know theres people looking out for us. Plus its always good to have an emergency pump hanging around.

rufio173 04/04/2005 01:21 PM

I've heard bad things about a lot of their submersible pumps, but the externals are quality at an affordable price.

Peace,
John H.

golfish 04/05/2005 03:57 PM

I hope that all the guys that are switching over to the "Beta" pump that Euro Reef is now offering know that its probably a Gen X pump