Reef Central Online Community Archives

Reef Central Online Community Archives (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Florida Marine Aquarium Society (FMAS) - Miami/Ft. Lauderdale (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=235)
-   -   paypal question (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1182619)

illal 08/11/2007 04:40 PM

paypal question

i have a question... a few days ago i made a payment to someone on the "used equipment & dry goods" forum here on reefcentral for a 250w mh and it now appears thats someone else made a payment on the same exact light and now the guys isnt answering ether one of us... seeing as how i went through paypal is there any protection there?? or can i possibly be screwed?? :confused:

RicksReefs 08/11/2007 04:46 PM

if he didn't/doesn't ship, he has no tracking number. you can file a complaint of non-shipping and paypal will refund your money as long as it's still in his account. the faster you act, the more likely the money will still be there.

ek9vboi 08/11/2007 09:14 PM

forget paypal, contact the guy and find out to see what he/she did. if no reply, give them a week. No answer, then file paypal and call up ur credit card... hopefully u didnt pay with ur bank acc. because if u did then its basically like writing out a check/money order.

illal 08/11/2007 09:32 PM

it was the debit card :/ ... it sux cause i really need this light

REDDAWG43 08/11/2007 10:42 PM

what type was it?
MH 250W SE? RETRO FIT?

illal 08/12/2007 08:18 AM

its a "PFO 250W MH ballast w/ reflector"

Freed 08/12/2007 08:24 AM

I ALWAYS pay with credit card if it's someone I don't know or am a bit suspicious about. That way you can get your money back by contacting your CC company.

REDDAWG43 08/12/2007 08:43 AM

If you need a light, and this deal does not come thru for you.
I have a 250w MH SE Retrofit set with a ICECAP electronic ballast for sale...let em know if you are interested.

illal 08/12/2007 09:20 AM

how much??

nyvp 08/12/2007 03:12 PM

search the vendor feedback on the guy as well as see how many posts he/she has and how long they have been on rc. do a search on rc its in the same section as regular searches and look up the name and see if they are posting lately

Sharkonwheels 08/13/2007 04:38 PM

One thing you guys have to realize about PayPal:
If you have a paypal account, and you pay with a C/C, you *CANNOT* call you C/C company to file a dispute.

It is in the paypal agreement that you agree to. There have been MANY people that have done that, and been sued by PayPal and have won, and literally you have to pay legal fees, court costs, etc.. because by having the account, you agree to their terms.

It sucks, but be careful - filing a dispute for $100 may end up costing you $600 after all the other stuff they add on, and it's plainly in the user agreement, so you have nothing to back you up at all.

Just an FYI...

Tony

illal 08/13/2007 04:59 PM

so im basically screwed... never again will i buy something this way .. i guess its my fault

Jon770 08/13/2007 05:16 PM

i think paypal will reimburse you $200 (if the seller has less than 50 transactions), or even up to $2,000 (if the seller has more than 50). but im not 100% sure on it...there are probably some stipulations contained in the small print.

ive never had to file a complaint on paypal before (knock on wood), so I dont know the process. But i'm pretty sure there is time limit on when you can file a claim, so act fast...

Largo50 08/13/2007 05:47 PM

45 days to file a claim is what it was the last time I filed a claim. If you know someone else paid for the same item I would not wait another minute to wait for a response from the seller. File the paypal claim. If you catch him with the money in the account paypal locks it as soon as you file a cliam. If the money is already gone from the account then you may be eligible for the paypal insurance as stated. Either way the worst that will happen if you file the complaint now is the seller will respond and you get your equipment and you can then say you are sorry.

ninjamini 08/13/2007 05:56 PM

Contact paypal and let us know what they say. They have a number to call and talk to a person.

illal 08/13/2007 06:30 PM

i filed a claim last night so i guess well see how it goes... ive wanted mh's for so long and when i finally shell out the $$ this happens. i already bought 1 250w mh a few weeks back so for the time being im stuck with just 1 wish me luck and ill keep everyone posted

g8rorchid 08/13/2007 11:39 PM

I am the other sucker in this. I called my cc company today and explained what happened. They said they were going to look into it and to not worry about the charge on my cc for now. Should I get in touch with paypal as well?

Jon770 08/14/2007 08:11 AM

whoa...both buyers are from South Florida? Is the Seller from South Florida too?

illal 08/14/2007 02:49 PM

i filed the dispute with paypal and there giving the guy til the 23rd to respond before deciding in my favor