Reef Central Online Community Archives

Reef Central Online Community Archives (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   LPS Keepers (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=332)
-   -   SPS knowledge would help with this question... (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=591733)

Jean-yus 05/12/2005 09:22 PM

SPS knowledge would help with this question...

So I have a lovely red Goniopora that I love, and it was my first coral (woohoo 1.5 years Old!) And I first thought that they drop babies... so ok... when are they gonna drop? Well, when I started gettin impatiant I researched it... and from what I've found, This species does NOT drop babies, because it is an Encrusting species...

So it's been away from rock's and just on the sand for awhile.... Not much "encrusting" going on... so How would I help it "sread" out, and encrust? I would really love it to engulf a big rock... its about the size of a baseball closed up, and open its larger than a soft ball. I would like to double its size, So I placed it pretty on a nearby rock that IMO would look great "gono-fied"

So is there a way to promote fast growth or to just get it started? OR is it just a wait and see game?

Thanks.

SO, I am asking this here because who would know better than you guys on how to encourage a Coral to Encrust and expand on rock?

Thanks.

Jean-yus 05/12/2005 11:54 PM

Anyone?

Ti 05/13/2005 12:52 AM

Try the LPS forum.
From what I know nobody really knows much about these things.
Some members here have had them multiply though.

srb5046th 05/13/2005 09:51 AM

When closed up, see if there are any small dime sized domes on it. Mine had them but they would not drop. I carefully picked off 3 of them and now I have 3 baby goni's. The domes might be hard to see but they are easy to feel. You might not notice them at first. Mine did drop one when I had it up on a rock and now that baby is encrusting. I would say it you could pic off a baby, wedge it in the crevice of a rock.

JB NY 05/13/2005 10:04 AM

[moved]

I think you will get better answers in this forum. Few people in the SPS forum keep Goniopora sp.

bookfish 05/14/2005 01:29 AM

Encrusting gonis encrust on rock, not sand.-Jim

Jean-yus 05/14/2005 02:27 AM

lol...

Did you even read what I wrote? I made a sarcastic comment about me not KNOWING that they encrust, I was told THIS species dropped babies, which I was later told was false...

So I proceeded to say that I wanted it to grow on a rock, clearly demonstrating that I am not retarded... and understand that they will only encrust on Rock, I placed it in the sand because I was awaiting the babies to drop.

:rolleyes:

bookfish 05/14/2005 02:37 AM

Sorry, I didn't catch that you had it on the sand because you were awaiting the babies dropping.
My encrusting gonis grow along a leading edge like a montipora does.
Sorry again.-Jim

Jean-yus 05/14/2005 10:09 AM

haha, Im sorry. I sounded like an a$$

I've been waiting for someone with experiance to answer.. No one has and when I saw someone DID I was excited.

lol.

Thanks and sorry for sounding rude.

-Tim

bookfish 05/14/2005 10:40 AM

no prob

I also found I got the best growth when I was feeding gut-packed rotifers during the day.-Jim