Reef Central Online Community Archives

Reef Central Online Community Archives (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Anemones & Clownfish (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Haddoni and clowns (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1279597)

turbonegro 12/26/2007 09:24 PM

Haddoni and clowns

Which clowns will host in them? Thanks Bobby

Toddrtrex 12/26/2007 09:49 PM

I personally have kept saddle backs and clarkiis with them. Believe that a haddoni is a natural host for both.

turbonegro 12/26/2007 10:34 PM

How about Percs and Ocellaris? This anemone is so sticky I don't see how anything can host in it.

phender 12/26/2007 10:43 PM

Some of the time percs and ocellaris will accept a haddoni as a host. On rare occations you will hear of a haddoni eating a perc, but not often.
Saddlebacks and true sebaes are natural symbionts as are most of the clarki complex clowns.

tpdpercula 12/27/2007 09:34 AM

I have had a breeding pair of Percs in my main display with a 10"-12" Blue Haddoni a almost a year now with no hosting. Though they have taken up residency in my large Green Toadstool. Hit and miss.

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him/her drink.

-Ian

jgs107 12/27/2007 06:26 PM

i am in the process of mating my 2 black perculas with a haddoni.my LFS told me to catch them and place both the clowns and anenome into a strainer and clamp it at the top of the tank in the water still.this should make them acclimate together.ill keep you all posted on what happens

AquaReeferMan 12/27/2007 06:35 PM

Be careful using the method jgs107 mentioned. My haddoni ate a pair of black Ocellaris clowns and a pair of Percula clowns. In both cases I lost power and in the confusion the clowns jumped into the anemone. They didnt acclimate themselves to it and ended up getting pulled in. I now have a pair of Saddlebacks.

elegance coral 12/27/2007 07:49 PM

I have a single Clarki in my Hadoni. The only bad thing in my case is the the clown keeps the anemone folded up. Not withdrawn really, just folds in the polyp where the clown can hide. Before the clown entered the picture the carpet would stretch out and lay flat across the rocks and sand. It was huge. Now it can only expand about half of what it did.

rkelman 12/27/2007 08:06 PM

Ocellaris here.

55semireef 12/27/2007 08:25 PM

My old pair of Clarkii clowns hosted my old blue in a matter of a second...literally.

phender 12/27/2007 08:40 PM

[QUOTE][i]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11466783#post11466783 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jgs107 [/i]
[B]i am in the process of mating my 2 black perculas with a haddoni.my LFS told me to catch them and place both the clowns and anenome into a strainer and clamp it at the top of the tank in the water still.this should make them acclimate together.ill keep you all posted on what happens [/B][/QUOTE]

This is ok when its done with a BTA. It is a reeeeeeally bad idea with a haddoni!!!!

Ocellaris and percs don't have as thick a slime layer as clarkis and saddlebacks. It normally takes them a while to acclimate to a haddoni. If your haddoni is healthy it will very likely eat your percs before they acclimate to its sting!!!

turbonegro 12/27/2007 11:14 PM

Well I found out the hard way! It ate 3 black Ocellaris today. It suck because it is so beautiful.

jgs107 12/30/2007 06:02 PM

i had my clowns in for about 5 hours and they did fine.one clown will not leave the carpet alone and the other is kinda like whatever.im glad the carpet didnt eat my clowns.i would have been ****ed.already lost a pair a couple years ago from a lion fish.i have expensive meals.

CHARLIE AGUILAR 12/31/2007 12:22 AM

Nice post some pics!

mile sq. reefer 12/31/2007 12:18 PM

Saddleback clowns are cool fish especially in a natural host anemone. Some variants I've seen are almost all black with nice thick white bands, yellow on the face.