Reef Central Online Community Archives

Reef Central Online Community Archives (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Southern California Reefers (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Labor Day Tragedy (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1199601)

jeffrey_ropp 09/03/2007 11:44 PM

Labor Day Tragedy

I just got home after the long weekend to find a complete meltdown of my 55 gallon tank.

Apparently the owner of my house (I rent), had to shut off the power Friday afternoon and failed to realize that the GFI box needed to be reset. So I've had no filtration, circulation, or cooling for at least 72 hours. Even all the bristle worms are dead.

[url]http://picasaweb.google.com/JeffreyRopp/55Gallon[/url]

So far it looks like a total loss. I just can't believe it.

Any advice on clean-up or salvage would be greatly appreciated. For all I've learned in this wonderful hobby, I have absolutely no idea where to begin right now.

sbcaes 09/03/2007 11:45 PM

start changing the water as best you can. and salvage and hope something lived as i'm sure SOMETHING has lived. start doing massive water changes in the beginning. then move to daily water changes for a bout a week. then test to check your levels. and keep going. see if anything is still kicking.

ezcompany 09/03/2007 11:57 PM

i would start with a 5 gallon bucket for rinsing/dipping prepared.
then i would do a 75% water change and test. run amquel, lots of carbon, mechanical filter, and manual siphoning.
it will take hours, so i hope you already have an ro/di unit installed. sorry for your loss :(

jeffrey_ropp 09/03/2007 11:57 PM

Thanks sbcaes.

If anyone has any saltwater near Pasadena and is still awake, I'd very much appreciate an opportunity to buy it from you. I just saw a small hermit that is still alive. If I can save one single thing, I'll do what it takes.

I do have a 12 gallon eclipse that is running. Is it a better idea to move any survivors to it (inverts)? How about iffy (at best) corals - zoas that are all closed up?

stryker 09/04/2007 12:03 AM

sorry to hear... i would move all survivors to your nano. The ammonia in your tank will surely kill them in time.

Scissorhand 09/04/2007 12:05 AM

OMG I'm so sorry. I'd be so mad.

yes yes, all survivors to the 12 gallon eclipse, or a bigger rubbermaid bucket if you have it.

your 55 gallon is probably too toxic at the moment and unless you can do a 75% water change at least like ez said, and it'd be best to move them somewhere else.

mangus7175 09/04/2007 12:11 AM

I'm sorry for your loss....I wish I had something to offer for help. We do have a 40G that is filled with SW and it is empty but running. We use it to house frags but we don't have any spare to rush over to you. For sure though, once you get your tank up and running I'll have some frags for you.

bennyinca 09/04/2007 12:12 AM

Yikes, I have seen that sight of detruction in my own tank b4.

I agree, move the survivors into another tank, inverts and corals. But keep in mind that could create an nh4 spike in the other tank too. Ihave a 20g with sw in the garage, but I am in OC.

rcastreje 09/04/2007 12:14 AM

I have salt - but no Saltwater.

rcastreje 09/04/2007 12:20 AM

BTW - My water @ my house is Well Water - Not MWD or PW&P.

Salifert can't detect any Phosphate (I am assuming my Salt Test will work on Fresh Water).

So if you need/want the salt, you can also grab some water (assuming you have containers) to.

-Rich

Badmort 09/04/2007 12:46 AM

I know its late but Im 10 min from Pasadena..
Have Ro/Di water and Tropic Marin Pro salt mix I could make up for you

lloydsnewsn 09/04/2007 01:02 AM

My tank just blew up also. I don't have much in my tank, but the only two corals I had died, my new coral beauty, and a wrassel i just placed in the tank.

roxy25 09/04/2007 01:07 AM

sorry to here about your tank. when you are ready i can give you some frags

rcastreje 09/04/2007 01:20 AM

I am still up - BTW and I am also 5-15 minutes from you (depending on which side of Pasadena you are on).

FYI

jeffrey_ropp 09/04/2007 01:41 AM

Thanks rcastreje (and everyone else who has offered kind words and help).

My sole hermit survivor is now in my 12 gallon.

I've got some zoas that *might* have a chance. As soon as PTF opens in the morning, I should be able to get them into a bucket.

rcastreje 09/04/2007 01:48 AM

Cool - - Night

Good Luck!

ReefMeister2 09/04/2007 01:50 AM

Yikes, I wish we were closer....I have just about everything you would need for the cleanup and recovery operation. Freshly-mixed saltwater, bins, containers, pumps, powerheads, heaters, etc. but I'm all the way in Garden Grove near 22 frwy and Beach Blvd. :(
Not all is lost, its just a transition; even nature wipes the slate clean once in awhile. Take this opportunity to startover with an even better reef.

FOSELONE 09/04/2007 01:58 AM

wow sorry dude...good luck...

Jimbo327 09/04/2007 12:43 PM

That's rough. I have a feeling a lot of folks lost their tanks in this kind of heat though.

jeffrey_ropp 09/07/2007 08:05 PM

Well...I think the finally tally is in.

I was able to save 4 hermits and a few zoas that seem to be coming back to life. Everything else is no more.

I can't support the zoas in my 12 gallon eclipse with its meager lighting, so let me know if anyone is willing to give them (and the hermits) a good home.

Thanks again,
Jeff

mangus7175 09/07/2007 08:21 PM

I can hold them for you if you'd like. I can PM you my setup description.

chaffey 09/07/2007 08:32 PM

That is SUCK !...sorry to hear let me know if you need frags to start up again.