Reef Central Online Community Archives

Reef Central Online Community Archives (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Nano Reefs (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=75)
-   -   Approximately how much effort PER WEEK do you put into your nano tank? (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1291585)

on_ice 01/11/2008 02:54 PM

Approximately how much effort PER WEEK do you put into your nano tank?

Before I try to get my 24 gallon nano cube together, I want to know how much effort you guys put into your tank. I am in school and my home town is 3 hours away. That means that for certain holidays and such I may not be able to take care of it for short periods of time. I am also very busy with school and my part time job. What kind of effort would I be in for? Its a 24 gallon nano tank with stock lighting and it will pretty much be a FOWLR tank.

scowiii 01/11/2008 05:00 PM

Feedings and water changes and cleaning the fingerprints off the glass and other tank maintenance. Around 3-4 hrs a week.

matthewdmueller 01/11/2008 05:52 PM

I only have to "work" on my tank a couple of hours a week which mostly involves me moving somehting around, getting my floor wet, then mopping, then vaccuming. I do a water change about every 3 weeks, it takes longer to make the water than do the water change. I do have to nurse my top-off everyday though since I don't have one. I feed every other day, I only have one lonely fish:( So I would say that my tank is an everyday thing but not much work.

thin crust 01/11/2008 06:06 PM

i would say total 2 hours for my 25g. i would say i spend more time staring at the tank then doing maintenance. :)

on_ice 01/11/2008 07:45 PM

Sounds good to me. How important are these water changes? How big of a water change do you do every 3 weeks? I guess that means I will be spending alot of $$ on salt?

saltyshoe_nano 01/11/2008 07:52 PM

[QUOTE][i]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11577691#post11577691 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by thin crust [/i]
[B]i would say total 2 hours for my 25g. i would say i spend more time staring at the tank then doing maintenance. :) [/B][/QUOTE]

agreed lol but as far as the "alot of $$" if your not willing to spend the money, dont join the addicts....lol but the salt I get a 50gal. bag for 15-20 bucks and that lasts awhile on the water changes JMHO good luck :)

gsusfreak 01/11/2008 08:42 PM

i always purchase the box salt...200gal mix ....last me pretty much the a whole year....not bad for $40

m2434 01/11/2008 09:13 PM

You asked, "Approximately how much effort per week do you put into your nano tank?" That would be a lot.

If you had asked "Approximately how much effort per week do you need to put into your nano tank?"
The answer might be diffrent - It's easy to make work for yourself :lol:

on_ice 01/11/2008 10:26 PM

Wow, $40 for 200 gallons of salt mix is sweet. I spent $18.50 for 25 gallons worth. Good thing I bought it with a gift card I got for free.

ckprax 01/12/2008 12:13 AM

I have a NC24, in college and working a part time job. I have quite a few corals and a single clown fish. I do very little to it each week. I do a 4 to 5 gallon wc every 10 days to 2 weeks, i scrape the glass with a mag float every few days. I feed every day and every other day when it comes time for midterms and finals.

I also love far from home (7 hrs) and i don't worry too much when i leave, the biggest concern for me is topping off. I am setting up an ato, but for christmas break i left my tank for 10 days and had a friend top off for me once and feed when i was gone. I would not recommend leaving this long but it can be done. I choose to keep hearty corals and fish because i know there will be times when the tank will get the bare minimum attention (feedings and a little top off).

So in short i do very little to maintain my nano maybe an hour or so a week unless i buy something new, then i have to tinker and move things around :)

ShootMe 01/12/2008 01:47 AM

I probally put in 1 hour or 1.5 hours a week into my 12 gallon aquapod between feeding, cleaning the glass and water changes. This was the second year I left my tank at school while I went home for break which is a 3.5 hour round trip.

Since I am in a dorm we are not allowed to have non residents enter so I made the effort to come back every Friday morning of the break to feed the fish and top off the tank. I only stocked easy to keep corals, mushrooms, leathers, and a torch and two fish in anticipation of having to leave the tank for extended periods of time.

I am lucky in that using the stock lighting with the cover I lose very little to evaporation while I am not here. All in all for going four weeks with just a feeding every seven days everything looks wonderfull with no losses.