Reef Central Online Community Archives

Reef Central Online Community Archives (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Reef Discussion (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   !!! Best Live Rock !!! (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=599101)

TheCoralReef731 05/24/2005 09:49 PM

!!! Best Live Rock !!!

This is kinda like a survey, only with too many answers to list.

Soooo, please list all the kinds of live rock (fiji, marshal, haitan, vanuatu, aquacultured, etc.) in order from best to least. Also, tell how you are rating these rocks; by life, quantity, price, looks, etc. Thanks!

TheCoralReef731 05/24/2005 09:57 PM

My current list is .... Marshal, Vanuatu, Haitan, Fiji, Aquacultured
I ordered them from the most life to the least life.

143gadgets 05/24/2005 10:50 PM

I love my Marshall Island!!!!!!!!!! Couldn't have made a better choice. :)

Bagz 05/24/2005 11:16 PM

THe best is fiji buna ultra premium rock or i really like kaelini premium. there great rocks. If you need info where to get best prices on rock contact me at [email]fun_bagz@yahoo.com[/email] or PM

Tunguska 05/24/2005 11:17 PM

Hatian #1! ;) That's just because it's the only rock I have that I know where it came from. Initially, I purchased based on price; I got 50# shipped for $150. I'm sure there could be more life in other kinds, but this stuff just begs to be aquascaped into arches, caves, and overhangs. I think the shapes are better than everything else I've seen. Just my 2ยข.

Wayupnorth 05/24/2005 11:40 PM

I have Fiji premium and Tonga. I love the Tonga for the shape but the Fiji had better life on it.

loyalty 05/25/2005 12:04 AM

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Wayupnorth [/i]
[B]I have Fiji premium and Tonga. I love the Tonga for the shape but the Fiji had better life on it. [/B][/QUOTE]

i agree..i think the best looking tanks are a mix of fiji and tonga, though marshal island is super nice too

DFL18 05/25/2005 02:15 AM

i have marshall island and tonga in all of my nano reefs, i love the porous bubble nature of marshall island, most of the fiji i have seen just looks like big chunks, but some has had nice shape. for my new tank (when i finally decide on size) i will use a mixture of marshall island, some tonga, maybe some haitain and kaelini, id like a very interesting aquascape with different sizes and whatnot

ironmanxl1 05/25/2005 07:21 AM

The marshall island or fiji rock has more interesting shapes but aquacultured has way more life on it. If you want more life then get the aquacultured stuff. The imported rock comes pretty much dead except for algae and the life emerges way down the line. Aquacultured is live from day one.

STACKER 05/25/2005 07:38 AM

In reality, every piece is different and potentially the best or worst rock you could have. I suggest a little of everything so you don't get rutted and opinionated.

TheCoralReef731 05/25/2005 08:41 PM

Hey TUNGUSKA, did you buy your haitan online from Jean_pool? I have been thinking about that rock. Never heard of kaelini before. Anyone have pics of their rocks? PLEASE POST.

ed castile 05/25/2005 08:59 PM

Kaelini is from FIJI. It's just better than plain fiji

ed castile 05/25/2005 09:05 PM

I say the best rock is the rock you can buy without going into debt.None of it is cheap!

TheCoralReef731 05/25/2005 09:37 PM

LOL

jeffbrig 05/26/2005 08:43 AM

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by peterk731 [/i]
[B]My current list is .... Marshal, Vanuatu, Haitan, Fiji, Aquacultured
I ordered them from the most life to the least life. [/B][/QUOTE]

What makes you say aquacultured has the least life? If that's from personal experience, you have only seen poorly handled aquacultured rock. I have 230 lbs. of it in my tank, and it is covered in coralline, halimeda (macroalgae), tunicates, sponges, feather dusters, polyps, gorgonians. I also have literally hundreds of brittle stars, numerous bristleworms, mithrax crabs, peppermint shrimp, pistol shrimp, mantis shrimp, clams, flame scallops, a few assorted snails, and a couple of hermits.

Considering that its the only eco-friendly option for LR available in our hobby, I think aquaculture deserves serious consideration from anyone looking to buy.

Drewpy 05/26/2005 08:47 AM

tonga is porus and lighter. Figi is a brick and has much more life... i like both and have both. Carribean is great for flat platforms.

sjm817 05/26/2005 08:59 AM

Another fan of Marshall Island rock. Really nice shapes, light, very porous.

trippyl 05/26/2005 10:38 AM

do any online retailers sell aquacultured? I will add a few to my system if I can buy em

jeffbrig 05/26/2005 01:54 PM

You can buy straight from the suppliers.

[url]www.tampabaysaltwater.com[/url]
[url]www.liverocks.com[/url]
[url]www.gulf-view.com[/url]
and I'm sure there are others

trippyl 05/26/2005 02:27 PM

ah ok. I bought my last LR from gulf-view, so I already have aquacultured. Thanks for the info.

mbunaman 05/26/2005 06:06 PM

I got to agree with Jeff aquacultured is way better than the Fiji or pacific (aka dead rock) that you buy. I bought from liverocks.com and floridaliverock.com and its booming with life and coraline right out of the box. By the way Jeff I lover your tanks I hope they give you more space to post some pics.

Tunguska 05/26/2005 06:37 PM

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by peterk731 [/i]
[B]Hey TUNGUSKA, did you buy your haitan online from Jean_pool? I have been thinking about that rock. Never heard of kaelini before. Anyone have pics of their rocks? PLEASE POST. [/B][/QUOTE]

Yes, I did. I had a problem with the shipper, and was contacted immediately by the seller to make sure everything was all right. It isn't the shape of the picture for the most part, but some was close. It was mostly flat shelf pieces in mine. I don't have a camera or I would show you. I am pleased with what I got.

BigDaddy 05/26/2005 06:39 PM

Marshal, Kaelini, Tonga, Florida aquacultured.

Nanook 05/26/2005 07:00 PM

Let's keep this thread focused on the types of liverock available to hobbyists and not the vendor's selling it. Thanks!

Dave

RC Staff

chris2222000 05/26/2005 08:16 PM

[QUOTE]Kaelini is from FIJI. It's just better than plain fiji[/QUOTE]

I ordered kaelini and the place I bought it from calls it Tonga Ultra, its also known as eva. I have pics also if anyone want to see when I got it.

Chris