Reef Central Online Community Archives

Reef Central Online Community Archives (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Reef Chemistry Forum (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   A General Guide to Salt Mixes (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1287118)

Billybeau1 01/06/2008 01:35 AM

A General Guide to Salt Mixes

Here is a list of what I measured for the big three in a number of the salt mixes we use today. This is intended as a guideline and I, in no way, guarantee these figures. All I can say is they were all tested under the same conditions, with a number of different brand test kits, using the same methods for each test. I believe these numbers are reasonably what you can expect from these salts mixed at 35 ppt or 1.0264

A special thanks to Bertoni for putting it in nice form.

[B]<table align=center><tr><td valign=top></td><td valign=top><p align=center style='text-align:center'>Calcium &nbsp&nbsp</p></td><td valign=top><p align=center style='text-align:center'>Alkalinity&nbsp &nbsp</p></td><td valign=top><p align=center style='text-align:center'>Magnesium</p></td></tr> <tr ><td valign=top ><p>Aquatic Gardens</p></td><td valign=top ><p>&nbsp&nbsp 430</p></td><td valign=top ><p>&nbsp&nbsp 8</p></td><td valign=top ><p>&nbsp&nbsp 1240</p></td></tr> <tr ><td valign=top ><p >CoraLife</p></td><td valign=top ><p>&nbsp&nbsp 560</p></td><td valign=top sp 9><p>&nbsp&nbsp 9</p></td><td valign=top ><p>&nbsp&nbsp 1380</p></td></tr> <tr><td valign=top ><p>Instant Ocean&nbsp &nbsp</p></td><td valign=top ><p>&nbsp&nbsp 350</p></td><td valign=top ><p >&nbsp&nbsp 12</p></td><td valign=top ><p>&nbsp&nbsp 1070</p></td></tr> <tr><td valign=top ><p>Kent&nbsp &nbsp</p></td><td valign=top ><p>&nbsp&nbsp 540</p></td><td valign=top ><p >&nbsp&nbsp 11</p></td><td valign=top ><p>&nbsp&nbsp 1200</p></td></tr> <tr ><td valign=top ><p>Oceanic</p></td><td valign=top ><p>&nbsp&nbsp 580</p></td><td valign=top ><p>&nbsp&nbsp 8.5 </p></td><td valign=top ><p>&nbsp&nbsp 1650</p></td></tr> <tr ><td valign=top ><p>Red Sea</p></td><td valign=top ><p>&nbsp&nbsp 400</p></td><td valign=top ><p>&nbsp&nbsp 8</p></td><td valign=top ><p>&nbsp&nbsp 1300</p></td></tr> <tr ><td valign=top ><p>Reef Crystals</p></td><td valign=top ><p>&nbsp&nbsp 420</p></td><td valign=top ><p>&nbsp&nbsp 12</p></td><td valign=top ><p>&nbsp&nbsp 1260</p></td></tr> <tr ><td valign=top ><p>SeaChem Reef Salt</p></td><td valign=top ><p>&nbsp&nbsp 540</p></td><td valign=top ><p>&nbsp&nbsp 10</p></td><td valign=top ><p>&nbsp&nbsp 1450</p></td></tr> <tr ><td valign=top ><p>Tropic Marin</p></td><td valign=top ><p>&nbsp&nbsp 375</p></td><td valign=top ><p>&nbsp&nbsp 10</p></td><td valign=top ><p>&nbsp&nbsp 1230</p></td></tr> <tr ><td valign=top ><p>Tropic Marin Pro Reef</p></td><td valign=top ><p>&nbsp&nbsp 450</p></td><td valign=top ><p>&nbsp&nbsp 8.5</p></td><td valign=top ><p>&nbsp&nbsp 1380</p></td></tr> </table> [/B]

Randy Holmes-Farley 01/06/2008 08:35 AM

Nice work. :)

fatrip 01/06/2008 03:49 PM

very cool, interesting to see these results.

Billybeau1 01/07/2008 12:05 AM

Thanks Randy. I spent a lot of time insuring accuracy.

My only intention is to give the aquarist a general idea of what to expect from these different salt mixes. Very general. :D

dandydan 01/07/2008 07:35 PM

I can confirm IO and RC figures even though they are manufactured in France over here.
Luck

Billybeau1 01/07/2008 09:14 PM

Thanks Dan, for reporting across the big lake. :)

luxolex 01/08/2008 01:29 AM

Thanks for all the work... was just contemplating switching salts.. it seems it's time to use something other than IO.

Billybeau1 01/08/2008 02:20 PM

[QUOTE][i]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11547779#post11547779 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by luxolex [/i]
[B]Thanks for all the work... was just contemplating switching salts.. it seems it's time to use something other than IO. [/B][/QUOTE]

Don't write off IO just because of 3 numbers. It is very consistent with the other things we don't test for and is still one of the most used salt mixes around the world. It just needs a little supplementing to be good for reef tanks which many reefers don't seem to mind doing. But there is nothing wrong with trying other brands IMO. :)

2fishy 01/09/2008 12:39 PM

Would there be any problems to be concerned about in using Oceanic if you do not have a "reef"....yet?

Randy Holmes-Farley 01/09/2008 12:44 PM

For a fish only? They are probably less sensitive to the mix not matching NSW.

Billybeau1 01/09/2008 12:51 PM

Being a fish only, you probably don't want to be at 1.0264 anyway.

I keep my FO at 1.022 - 1.023 and at those levels the calcium and magnesium levels will be lower.

The only thing you may want to keep an eye on is your alkalinity. A little baking soda will keep that in check. :)

Snarlax 01/09/2008 01:02 PM

Any info on Korallen-Zucht, Aqua-Craft, or Coralife Scientific Grade?

Billybeau1 01/09/2008 01:25 PM

The Coralife is the scientific grade. It's the only one they make that I am aware of. I haven't tested the other two yet.

I have a few more on my list. ;)

kaserpick 01/10/2008 10:36 PM

Billybeau1: I have two questions:

1. Are there any negatives to changing salt mixes?
2. Does baking soda really bring down alkalinity? (this would be good to know in the future since I'm supplementing)

Thanks! :)

Billybeau1 01/11/2008 01:01 AM

Kasey, I don't see any problem as long as its done slowly. Say 20 % water changes with the new salt and see how the tank reacts. And of course you'll want to monitor calcium and alkalinity initially to determine what changes the new salt mix made on your tank.

Baking soda raises alkalinity. It is what many of us use to supplement alkalinity loss between water changes. It may temporarily lower pH unless it is baked first. If baked, it will raise pH and caution should be used not to raise pH more that .2 per dose.

I use good old Arm & Hammer.

michaeljames 01/11/2008 12:21 PM

I've used RC for the last few years with great results, but a few months ago I ordered three buckets and since using them I noticed my Mg was quite low... I tested the new water with a salifert kit and got a reading of 1100. A fellow reefer/LFS employee told me there had been a few complaints from other users about the Mg levels... anyone else notice this?

Billybeau1 01/11/2008 12:55 PM

There are two big threads in the chem forum discussing this. I hope we can keep these discussions there. :D :D

bmrigs 01/11/2008 07:49 PM

I like those seachem reef salt numbers

Billybeau1 01/12/2008 12:44 AM

Yes, if they solved their past Borate issues (which I believe I read somewhere they did), this could be a good salt for medium to heavily stocked tanks. Reefers that have been using it awhile are reporting good results. :)