Reef Central Online Community Archives

Reef Central Online Community Archives (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Reef Discussion (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   How do you get your thread so interesting (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1290923)

Reeftanks6 01/10/2008 06:46 PM

How do you get your thread so interesting

how do u guys get your threads interesting and can people to comment a lot and get other things

Snowboarda42 01/10/2008 07:00 PM

Pick a topic that people like to read about, don't start ones that have already been talked about 45,000 times, pictures are awesome too, etc. etc.

Punctuation and spelling are good too [img]http://smiliesftw.com/x/stickpoke.gif[/img]

clown2be 01/10/2008 07:08 PM

Re: How do you get your thread so interesting

[QUOTE][i]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11569428#post11569428 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Reeftanks6 [/i]
[B]how do u guys get your threads interesting and can people to comment a lot and get other things [/B][/QUOTE]

Sounds like you need a drink:smokin: :lol:

Reeftanks6 01/10/2008 07:10 PM

lol take a look at my thread and see what you think i just cant seem to get my thread started

clown2be 01/10/2008 07:12 PM

what thread and do you have photos of your girlfriend.:uzi: :bounce2: :dance:

Reeftanks6 01/10/2008 07:14 PM

naa dont have one i love the girls though

clown2be 01/10/2008 07:15 PM

See most on RC don't have girlfriends or married. Check out the lounge. those people are nuts:hmm3: :hmm5: :wavehand:

Reeftanks6 01/10/2008 07:16 PM

and you can either click on the red house or its reeftanks6's 90g reef thread (pic intense)

Reeftanks6 01/10/2008 07:16 PM

lol

clown2be 01/10/2008 07:19 PM

[url]http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1281014[/url]

you mean this. it has over 6 pages. thats great for a 90g. hehe

Reeftanks6 01/10/2008 07:24 PM

lol not like the other ones i see yea thats it

ACBlinky 01/10/2008 10:02 PM

If you want a thread to get attention and meaningful replies, my advice is to:

1) Make sure the title actually says what the thread is about. I seldom read threads with titles like 'help' or 'what should I do?' or 'my setup'. I [I]will[/I] open threads that say 'help with hair algae issue' or 'my pump stopped, what should I do?' or 'please critique my setup, I'm ordering equipment tomorrow'

2) Take the time to edit your post, and be polite. Correct spelling and punctuation mistakes, and avoid short forms like 'u' instead of 'you' -- you're not texting a close friend, you're asking for help on a board full of people you essentially don't know, so pretend you're talking to your grandmother -- keep slang to a minimum, no swearing etc.

3) If you're looking for an ID, include [I]decent[/I] pictures. A fuzzy blob that could be anything from a fish to a rock is no better than a badly worded written description when it comes to identifying a random critter from the ocean. If your question is about a disease or tank crash, include all your water test results and tank information, as well as anything you did that may have caused the incident -- don't worry about being judged when the health of your livestock is at stake, we've all made mistakes.

Hope that helps :)

Reeftanks6 01/11/2008 06:54 AM

yes thanks that helps a lot

dkh0331 01/11/2008 07:07 AM

[QUOTE][i]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11569671#post11569671 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by clown2be [/i]
[B]Check out the lounge. those people are nuts:hmm3: :hmm5: :wavehand: [/B][/QUOTE]

But we get jello on Fridays in the lounge!!

:spin1:

Reeftanks6 01/11/2008 07:10 AM

haha

landlord 01/11/2008 07:41 AM

I have found that those threads that get lots of coverage seem to have several things in common:

1. Anything of meaning said to the thread owner (questions, comments, remarks, jokes, etc) get an answer, addressed to the person making the statement. If a person is going to take their time to read your (or someone elses) thread and then make comments on it, you want to recognize that effort.

2. Unless appropriate these threads try to steer away from simply statements or responses. When asking questions, be detailed, throw out YOUR thoughts. Speak from the heart.

3. I have noticed that interesting build threads are not simply about the build but about the people. I have built several tanks and have chosen not to do a build thread for the simple fact that I am not very interesting :) I find that it takes a great amount of dedication and time to keep one going.

Some other observations: There are many people, like myself, who are indeed reading your thread, check you numbers. Perhaps, like me, they are waiting for the right time and place to chime in. I think you thread started out very good, you were discriptive, spoke more and TyP3d less. Notice on your first page how many people were tagging along. They are still out there, just be yourself, speak your mind, answer all questions, ponder deep thoughts, etc You've only been around for a month or so people are still trying to figure you out. The more your talk the more they will figure you out ;) the more they will follow.

Yet I ramble --Good Luck and I'll continue reading your thread --landlord

m2434 01/11/2008 08:19 AM

Other people have good ideas. The one thing I would add, is that sometimes, "common topics" are ignored, so do some searching first if possible. If the topic is posted daily, people might be sick of it.

ksouers 01/11/2008 08:56 PM

[QUOTE][i]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11571195#post11571195 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ACBlinky [/i]
[B]If you want a thread to get attention and meaningful replies, my advice is to:

1) Make sure the title actually says what the thread is about. I seldom read threads with titles like 'help' or 'what should I do?' or 'my setup'. I [I]will[/I] open threads that say 'help with hair algae issue' or 'my pump stopped, what should I do?' or 'please critique my setup, I'm ordering equipment tomorrow'

2) Take the time to edit your post, and be polite. Correct spelling and punctuation mistakes, and avoid short forms like 'u' instead of 'you' -- you're not texting a close friend, you're asking for help on a board full of people you essentially don't know, so pretend you're talking to your grandmother -- keep slang to a minimum, no swearing etc.

3) If you're looking for an ID, include [I]decent[/I] pictures. A fuzzy blob that could be anything from a fish to a rock is no better than a badly worded written description when it comes to identifying a random critter from the ocean. If your question is about a disease or tank crash, include all your water test results and tank information, as well as anything you did that may have caused the incident -- don't worry about being judged when the health of your livestock is at stake, we've all made mistakes.

Hope that helps :) [/B][/QUOTE]

What ACBlinky said. It can't be said enough!

This site is read the world over by many people who do not speak English as a primary language nor are they versed in American slang or phone text shorthand. I have seen posts from every continent except Antarctica, though, there may be some. English seems to be the common language for all nations. Proper grammar, spelling and punctuation are a must if you expect to be taken seriously by the entire world.

If English is not your primary language, just do your best. We'll figure it out :)

Finding Emo 01/11/2008 09:25 PM

Wow, now I think I'm going to take just a little more time and effort to put in punctuation and work on my grammar.

ksouers 01/11/2008 11:32 PM

Spelling is probably more important than the others to non-English speaking peoples. They more than likely know what algae is, but alljee will probably have them scrambling for a dictionary :)

asherah 01/12/2008 12:17 AM

[QUOTE][i]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11569550#post11569550 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Snowboarda42 [/i]

Punctuation and spelling are good too [img]http://smiliesftw.com/x/stickpoke.gif[/img] [/B][/QUOTE]
]

ROFL !!:lmao:

Shekki 01/12/2008 12:19 AM

Tell everyone that you are going to put 3 Tangs and 4 Clowns in a 12 gallon tank.

HippieSmell 01/12/2008 12:24 AM

Start a thread on global warming, those never fail to bring the trolls out of the woodwork :D