Reef Central Online Community Archives

Reef Central Online Community Archives (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Reef Fishes (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   can a fish die from overeating??? (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=667403)

lossman 09/11/2005 04:37 PM

can a fish die from overeating???

We have a harlequin basslet that just stole half a fairly large silverside from the serpent star. He ate the whole thing. Right now he seems to be gasping a bit, his belly is really large and he seems a little distressed.

I'd really, really, really hate to lose this fish just because he was a pig!! He's a total character and we just lost our wrasse in quarantine today. I could not stand to lose two fish in one day, especially just because the stupid fish was a glutton!!!!

Confooseld 09/11/2005 05:25 PM

If it can't digest it I think it would just throw it up.

lossman 09/11/2005 05:33 PM

Thanks..that's a visual I really did not need right now...but really reassuring. :) This fish is SUCH a pig!!!!! :)

CrazyLionfish 09/11/2005 06:09 PM

At first when you said overeating I thought you meant like eating nonstop so much that it dies. That can happen, I've read the #1 cause of death of Volitan Lionfish is eating nonstop. But as far as it goes for them eating something that is too big, my lionfish does it sometimes, he breaths hard for a little bit, then either spits it out or digests it.

Kent E 09/11/2005 08:11 PM

Kinda sounds like football season.

lossman 09/11/2005 08:27 PM

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Kent E [/i]
[B]Kinda sounds like football season. [/B][/QUOTE]

LOL, and to think he did this during football!!! Luckily, he does not drink beer......and, he survived this gluttony. This fish is the biggest pig I have ever known!!! I should have know that when, the second we put him in the main tank from the qt, he went down and gobbled up a porcelin crab...that should have been an indicator. :) Most fish would have hid for a day or two before beginning eating. Not Harley!!!

Thanks for the words of encouragement :)

CrazyLionfish 09/11/2005 09:40 PM

Haha you should call him "Gobbler" lol

killagoby 09/11/2005 10:30 PM

I know that if African Cichlids eat too much protien they can get "bloat" and die because they do not digest it fast enough. That's a African Cichlid though...

TheGrimmReefer 09/12/2005 09:20 PM

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by lossman [/i]
[B]LOL, and to think he did this during football!!! [/B][/QUOTE]

Go Bucs (boy they sure know how to keep the other team in the game until the last minute, huh? lol).
But yeah, I would agree with everyone else, provided he did not eat anything pointy, oddly shaped (to the extent that he could not bring it back up if he wanted to), or poisonous, 9 times out of 10 he'll be fine. Of course, at times it seems like my fish want to die just to make me mad, but they typically snap out of it ;) .