Reef Central Online Community Archives

Reef Central Online Community Archives (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Upstate Reef Society (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=117)
-   -   Touching story from Dr. Mac (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1224234)

RandyO 10/09/2007 12:12 AM

Touching story from Dr. Mac

For those of you that don't know who Dr. Mac is.
[url]http://www.pacificeastaquaculture.com[/url]

I normally receive email updates from him since I've ordered from them before.

I received this tonight and thought I would share with the group.

Dear randy,

Usually I write to you about new corals posted on our web site or a special sale, but today I write to you on a strictly noncommercial topic about my reefkeeping friend Peter. I hope knowing the story of Peter will touch you as much as my knowing him has touched me.

A couple of years ago a young man came into my store along with his parents and siblings, an otherwise unremarkable event except that when they left I commented to my staff about what a remarkable young man this person was. At the time I did not know his name and actually commented that I was unsure if this was a child or a very short adult because he was so articulate and had such a passion for reefkeeping. As time passed and the young man returned to my store several times I learned his name was Peter and in fact he was only about 10 years old. He reminded me of myself some 40 years ago as I began my adventure into this fascinating hobby, he shared my intensity to learn and compassion to care about the sea creatures we are fortunate enough to have in our tanks. I always enjoyed seeing Peter when he came in and found him to be a truly remarkable boy, little did I know at the time just how remarkable he was.

Several months ago I received a call from Peter's father telling me Peter wanted to come visit us to celebrate his birthday. Great I said, always happy to see him. But no, this visit would be quite different, it would be Peter's last his father said. Fumbling to find the words to ask why, his father told me that Peter was dying of cancer and the doctors gave him just a few weeks to live. I never realized that Peter was sick, he seemed small for his age but he was always so energetic and enthusiastic about looking at all the corals and picking out a few he liked for his tank. Peter's father told me that visiting us and his love for his reef tank were amoung the greatest joys of his life and that he wished we could make his last visit special. When I told my staff of Peter's condition we all cried and hoped we could somehow make his visit memorable. A week later when he came in we could all see how his disease was affecting him, it was difficult for all of us to avoid breaking down in front of him. But Peter was his usual cheerful self, looking at, studying, and asking questions about corals for his tank. His cancer had advanced to a degree that he must have been in pain and suffering, yet his smiling face was there as always. After a long discussion on keeping Acropora corals Peter picked out a few for his tank. He told me how he loved to lay in front of his tank at night and watch the fish interacting and how he was hoping he could grow out and eventually frag some of his new corals. I hugged him when he left and wondered if his visit was more memorable for him or me.

Today I received a letter from Peter's father that he passed away September 11.

Rest in peace my dear little friend and thank you for touching our hearts these last couple of years. You helped renew my passion for this great hobby we both, and so many others, share and I hope we were able to make your tragically too short life a bit happier. I know you never did get the chance to grow out those corals, but I'll be thinking of you whenever I'm making frags and wishing you were still here. Goodbye Peter, I'll remember and miss you.

Peter Choo
August 9, 1994-September 11, 2007

Sincerely,
Dr. Mac

tmz 10/09/2007 01:07 AM

Randy O ,Thankyou very much for sharing this wonderful story.It truly touches my soul. My daughter had childhood cancer when she was 15. In our two year struggle we met many wonderful children stricken with this truly horrible disease. All of them were remarkable and their thirst for life and ability to live it were inspirational. We met many more through my daughter's work with the Make a Wish Foundation. They taught me just how precious a gift life is every single hour of it and show the most wonderful side of humanity.God bless Peter and Dr. Mac for his compassion and for taking the time to share this glimpse into Peter's life,courage and love of life.

magdelan 10/09/2007 01:47 AM

Randy, I just got choked up reading that. Despite Peter's unfortunate sickness, I wish that people who I interact with daily, could understand how this hobby touches us.

PauChi 10/09/2007 09:20 AM

Thanks for sharing RandyO..... it's really very hard to fathom the loss of a dear One.

God Bless Peter and also Dr. Mac for sharing this with you and Us as well!

Paul

kimfdim 10/09/2007 02:51 PM

[QUOTE][i]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10933714#post10933714 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by magdelan [/i]
[B]Despite Peter's unfortunate sickness, I wish that people who I interact with daily, could understand how this hobby touches us. [/B][/QUOTE]

You said a mouthful, magdelan. When I read about how everyone knew that his tank was one of the greatest loves of his life - or something like that - I lamented the fact that everyone in my house complains about my reef and the joy I get from it. Maybe it's jealousy on their part, but they have all been invited to share in my joy...you guessed it....no takers. This truly is a hobby of love and passion for those who enjoy it.

RandyO - you definately choked me up...this is not an easy thing to do!!! Beautiful story. Just imagine what the boy's tank that he is caring for now on the "other side" looks like!

LFS_worker 10/09/2007 04:48 PM

wow what a touching story...

Thanks to peter for touching my life.

Brian

Namyar 10/09/2007 07:45 PM

Randy that was very nice made me grab my girls and hug them.

Krazy 10/09/2007 11:02 PM

Was a touching story for sure!!

Brent Thomann 10/10/2007 12:38 AM

VERY SAD & TOUCHING STORY!

My condolences to Dr. Mac and Peter's family.

It sure would of been nice to of met Peter!!

Brent