Reef Central Online Community Archives

Reef Central Online Community Archives (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cephalopods (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   i got me a bimac, how long does it take for em to start exploring (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=496880)

marinerules 01/01/2005 03:14 PM

i got me a bimac, how long does it take for em to start exploring

ive had him since 2 days before christmas, hes healthy he is eatin g, but he never leaves his rock hardly and if he does its just a few inches to snatch a crab or snail up

Everyone tol dme that these would be awesoem to keep becasue they are a day active octopus and ive read where others are always roaming the tank and jetting around and mine has NOT DONE THIS YET

im really dissapointed, is it casue ive not given him enought time to get used to everything , or did i just get a octo with the personality of being boring

bepe 01/01/2005 04:20 PM

hiding bimac

I got a baby bimac right after christmas and have had the same experience. At best I can see where he's hiding a third of the time I look for him. Otherwise I never see him. He is eating his clams, as evidenced by the shells all over the tank. I've heard the travel is very stressful for them and they take a few weeks to adjust. Please post when yours becomes more active so I can gauge the progress of mine.

Good luck.

marinerules 01/01/2005 04:42 PM

hey bepe, how old r u
im 20

anyways, did you get yours from octopets.com, thats where I got mine.

I always see mine becasue the hole he hides in is right in front of the tank , which is a 240 gallon tank , with a 50 gallon sump lol
i hope he gets huge in this tank

anyways, i kept the clams for my sandbed in my other tanks and I just left the 100 or so blue leg hermits and nassarius and turbo snails in there for him to eat and as you said there are shells all over the place, but I AM REALLY EAGER to start seeing him cralw around everywhere

bepe 01/01/2005 07:29 PM

bimac hiding

I'm a bit older (38). I got mine from octopets too. Mine hides in a different spot each time I check. I can rarely find him in a 50 gal tank. He must be loving a fully stocked 240 gal.

marinerules 01/05/2005 02:43 PM

does yours still hide,

min eis still boring as ever

im thinkign about buying another one

emmanuel 01/27/2005 04:50 PM

I got mine from octopets a little before christmas and it was the first time I had a bimac that didnt have a great personality
after a week of not bothering it it started coming out but would take off if it saw me the key is not to bother them keep your hands out of the tank
starting last week it waits for me by the front glass when I get home from work everyday I dont just through the food in there I wait with a fiddler crab in my hand till the octo comes and takes it
It has been eating fiddlers since the second week cause I killed all my clams (dont ask) even though the guy from octopets said its too small for fiddlers
remeber dont startle it be patient

CalvinC4S 01/28/2005 02:37 AM

[QUOTE]im thinkign about buying another one[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't do that, they will probably kill eachother.
Give it a month or so, it will get to know you and want to play:D

mantis 22 02/15/2005 06:42 PM

do you guys use protein skimmers in your tank
i was wondering thanks ryan

emmanuel 02/15/2005 06:51 PM

its the most important piece of equipment for a octo that and RO water