Reef Central Online Community Archives

Reef Central Online Community Archives (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Reef Discussion (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Coraline algea question (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1290208)

buddah001 01/09/2008 09:00 PM

Coraline algea question

When I setup my new 65 gal tank a couple of weeks ago we bought live rock from several lfs. Most of it the coraline algea had turned white. I would assume from not getting any light. We bought a couple of pieces from one lfs that were very purple. Well it is like basically overnight the stuff that was white is starting to turn purple. Does the coraline die when it turns white or does it go dormant? It doesnot appear to be new coraline but the stuff that was there is turning purple. Because I am seeing bits of purple poppin up everywhere.

Jeremy_holt 01/09/2008 09:25 PM

It will return over time. As your tank cycles and becomes stable the red will begin to come back. When I started my tank I asked the LFS guys and they offered me a product from KENT named Purple up which is supposed to aid in the process. I chose not to use it and let mother nature do her thing. I think purple up is only good once your aquarium is established.

buddah001 01/09/2008 09:35 PM

So it goes dormant and comes back to life eventually. It is not new stuff growing. RIght??

m2434 01/09/2008 09:56 PM

If it's white, it's dead... If your water quality is good it will come back anyway. Purple up is just aragonite sand dissolved in water and is unlikely to speed up the process. The key seems to be calcium, alkalinity, magnesium and low phosphates.

buddah001 01/09/2008 11:13 PM

Well just after two weeks purple and red is starting to pop up everywhere. Good sign I guess. I did not take a picture before but will take one tomorow so as to compare to later pictures.What was once browns and whites is turning purple and red. WOO HOO!!

ahullsb 01/10/2008 01:15 AM

Good job. What are your Ca, Mg and Alk levels? If you keep those in range you will have no problem maintaining it.

buddah001 01/10/2008 10:07 AM

I do not have mg test kit yet. I will be checking all parameters shortly and will post. Mg test kit is next on list of many things to buy.

spoon671 01/12/2008 02:38 AM

While on the subject, this is something that I have recently been experiencing in my tank. I have never experienced anything like this before, ever, call me lucky. I have a 20L reef that has been up for about 6 years now. I just recently moved the tank and also I mounted the light about 3" closer than it was prior to the move.

Over the past two months, I have observed my coraline turn to a pale yellow color. I know it might have something to do with the light because it only has changed color where the light currently shines. In the shadows, the coraline looks healthy as can be. At the same time I replaced a year-old bulb with a new one.

Also, there are quite a few species of coraline on my rocks (deep red, smooth dark purple, chalky pastel purple, etc.) and the only species that seems to be turning yellow is the "chalky pastel purple". Even though the other species of coraline are also directly exposed to the light, they are unaffected.

Any advise? Thanks in advance!