Reef Central Online Community Archives

Reef Central Online Community Archives (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Chicagoland Marine Aquarium Society (CMAS) (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=180)
-   -   Urchin Info (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1146350)

fijiblue 06/20/2007 09:41 PM

Urchin Info

Does anyone have any info on this little guy?

[IMG]http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/152435Urchin.JPG [/IMG]

redvipe2010 06/20/2007 09:43 PM

I don't know much about them, but you may find what you are looking for here:

[url]http://www.wetwebmedia.com/urchinsii.htm[/url]

fijiblue 06/20/2007 10:20 PM

Couldn't find an ID. I remember seeing info before on them, but I can't remember where. Internet turned up nothing. I think they are poisonous, but I am not sure.

fijiblue 06/21/2007 10:08 AM

No one else?

seachel71 06/21/2007 11:34 AM

Pencil urchin? How big is it... cute little bugger.

paininthewrasse 06/21/2007 12:29 PM

Def not a pencil sea urchin

fijiblue 06/21/2007 06:45 PM

No bigger than a nickel. I have it in a bag right now and I am afraid to put it in my tank. I swear I saw they were poisonous, but I want to be sure...if not it is a sweet little urchin!

kh6sat 06/21/2007 06:51 PM

Its not a pencil urchin. I got 4 of those in my tank.

Musho3210 06/21/2007 07:19 PM

looks cool though.....

fijiblue 06/21/2007 07:52 PM

kh6sat- you have pencil urchins or one like this?

ostrow 06/21/2007 08:28 PM

I'd be wary, #1, and I'd send the photo with the question to Bob Fenner and to Dr. Ron (find him yourself, RC doesn't look fondly on linking to him) at their respective websites.

You may have luck here in the inverts forum but I'd head to those two, and keep this out of your display.

fijiblue 06/21/2007 08:38 PM

Ostrow - I sent a pic of it to Mr. Fenner and Mr. Calfo. I posted in the invert section with no luck. And yes, I agree...until I know for sure, he will keep getting reoxed in his bag:D

Ray Whisperer 06/27/2007 08:43 PM

Fiji, I think I have atleast narrowed it down to the genus. There is a pic, but no species name.

It's possibly a Echniothrix for sure, and possibly calamaris.

Scroll down in the link to the section titled similar species. It has a Echniothrix pictured(exactly like yours), and also describes a Diadema species. It tells that both have banded spines, but only Echnothrix have tubular spines. It would also seem, they are somewhat poisonous. It says they can inflict painful stings, but nothing more.
[url]http://www.edge-of-reef.com/inggris/laben.htm[/url]

Ray Whisperer 06/27/2007 08:50 PM

Sorry, something went wrong on the link... It takes you to the home page. On the left side, near the top, you'll see Urchins. Click on the symbol, just to the right of that. At the bottom of the urchin page there is a link for all 21 species, click there. Scroll down to Echniothrix calamaris and click on that. Then scroll down to the pic I posted about above.
HTH.

fijiblue 06/27/2007 09:22 PM

Thanks Ray Whisperer! Fenner and Calfo didn't even have a clue on what it was. Seems that it is pretty common. I was hoping something would turn up soon cause he still is being rebagged everyday!

fijiblue 06/27/2007 09:33 PM

That last comment didn't sound right...I meant the urchin was common:D . He is up for grabs if anyone is interested. I don't think he is reef safe nor do I want to risk my tank. PM if interested.

Musho3210 06/27/2007 09:39 PM

talk to a scientist, wouldnt it be awsome that you discovered a new species..... Of course i am so tired that i probably act drunk....

Ray Whisperer 06/27/2007 10:05 PM

Well heck, I'm interested.
PMing you now.

Stingray702 06/27/2007 10:55 PM

Fiji, Put the Christmas Ornament Away. You have ray way to excited over that piece of Glass.

desjardiniidj 06/27/2007 11:03 PM

[QUOTE][i]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10229548#post10229548 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by fijiblue [/i]
[B]That last comment didn't sound right...I meant the urchin was common:D . He is up for grabs if anyone is interested. I don't think he is reef safe nor do I want to risk my tank. PM if interested. [/B][/QUOTE] Fenner and Calfo are no match for Gus! a.k.a. Ray Whisperer.......

fijiblue 06/28/2007 08:12 AM

Musho3210 - that would be sweet!

desjardiniidj - that goes without saying...Gus is the man! Im trading him some very rare limited edition Red Planaria for the urchin. He said he only sells 5 of them a year! I feel like I am totally ripping him off!

desjardiniidj 06/28/2007 11:02 AM

[QUOTE][i]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10231597#post10231597 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by fijiblue [/i]
[B]
desjardiniidj - that goes without saying...Gus is the man! Im trading him some very rare limited edition Red Planaria for the urchin. He said he only sells 5 of them a year! I feel like I am totally ripping him off! [/B][/QUOTE] Don't feel bad. He is really easy to take advantage of. :) He's also a uber-cool guy!

Ray Whisperer 06/28/2007 05:07 PM

[QUOTE][i]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10232550#post10232550 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by desjardiniidj [/i]
[B]Don't feel bad. He is really easy to take advantage of. :) He's also a uber-cool guy! [/B][/QUOTE]
You should know. After all, I think it was you who took advantage of me at Tonya's post-tour ball.:eek1:
Thanks for the compliments though.

Anthony Calfo 06/28/2007 08:58 PM

Hmmm, interesting... I'm looking at our emails with you and see that I wrote you a full paragraph on photo tips for helping others to help you with photo IDs... and that Bob clearly answered your question:

Re: urchin ID - couldn't find it in the archives... Antoine and RMF input
jartanyon wrote:
Found this little guy and thought he might be poisonous...any ideas?
Justin
>IDs from pics are often difficult. If you have the time/interest... do check out some photography forums for advice, too, my friend. With a few good pointers you could greatly improve your image taking. Maybe we can help
here: what kind of camera are you using? (and do get an off-camera cord for that flash to hold it from above, my friend... a huge help right there)
(Good advice)
The problem with the pic sent is that your subject comprises only a fraction of the frame (always get as close to your subject as possible for these types of shots, and in general).
(Ditto)
As for the focus... with stronger light (from above or above-angled) you could increase your shutter speed and likely get a sharper image. Better yet... please use a tripod.
(As well)
Without a clear pic, its hard to say what genus let alone species this might be.
kindly, Anth-<
(is likely a juvenile Eucidaris species... family Cidaridae, not venomous as the toxopneustids...
Bob Fenner)

------------------

Yoru original question is also archived on WWM (we archive everything useful for the benefit of other/fellow hobbyists). Your query and answer have been archived appropriately on the "Urchin identification" page:

[url]http://www.wetwebmedia.com/urchinidfaqs.htm[/url]

It seems rather innacurate if not unkind that you'd say "Fenner and Calfo didn't even have a clue on what it was," to folks that gave you a fast and personal response to your query.

aiko670 06/28/2007 09:39 PM

whoops..