Reef Central Online Community Archives

Reef Central Online Community Archives (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   SPS Keepers (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   Please tell me it isn't so, RB? (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1270533)

CHASDB 12/12/2007 11:06 PM

Please tell me it isn't so, RB?

Please, please tell me these aren't red bugs...... I got a new camera to track growth not more pests, ugg!

[IMG]http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j42/chasdb/rrrbbb.jpg[/IMG]

TCU Reefer 12/12/2007 11:10 PM

The truth hurts sometimes.

Interceptor time.

bill-fit 12/12/2007 11:24 PM

yep I had them too thats them

gsoaxionsk8 12/12/2007 11:29 PM

don't worry those are easy to fix

mjstover 12/12/2007 11:33 PM

yeah then are I am sorry to say. But they are not as bad as people say. If they are not overtaking you tank you could just get some fish that eat them and everything will be alright.

KEstep 12/12/2007 11:34 PM

LOL that is how I found out I had the bugs as well... I felt dirty for days :)

818reefer 12/13/2007 12:08 AM

yup those are it I think I may have them too. it sucks.

CHASDB 12/13/2007 12:32 AM

Thanks for the confirmation, I'll have to deal with it. As a positive note I think my first macro pic looks good......

Canarygirl 12/13/2007 03:09 PM

I refuse to buy a macro lens for this reason :lol:

trueblackpercula 12/13/2007 07:34 PM

good luck with yor treat ment, Yes you have the Bugs.........If you can take out the corals place them in a bucket with pepermint shrimp and they will pick them clean.

Michael

ct_vol 12/13/2007 07:58 PM

That is a nice macro pic... :D If the Acro were green it would look all Christmassy... Nothing like Red and Green for the holidays... ;)

marinelife 12/13/2007 08:37 PM

[QUOTE][i]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11379561#post11379561 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by trueblackpercula [/i]
[B]good luck with yor treat ment, Yes you have the Bugs.........If you can take out the corals place them in a bucket with pepermint shrimp and they will pick them clean.

Michael [/B][/QUOTE]

Never seen pepperments eating mine!

broke1 12/13/2007 09:39 PM

Is there any way to positively ID these things with out a macro lens? After reading these posts I started to look at some of my SPS and noticed something that looked like a little brown speck walk across a branch.

I am going to have to treat the tank, but hate to since the Pod population would be wiped out and I have a very happy/chubby Mandarin.

Anyone know a good way to catch Emerald crabs?

trueblackpercula 12/13/2007 10:01 PM

I am sorry I gave bad info. I should have said camel shrimp....................... [url]http://www.korallen-zucht.de/index.php?article_id=52&clang=1[/url]

rama 12/14/2007 11:26 AM

What other options are there other than camel shrimp? Just curious.

MiddletonMark 12/14/2007 11:51 AM

Don't camel shrimp bother corals?

Personally, I had great luck with the interceptor treatment. No losses, corals all looked/grew much better than with red bugs.

Also - unless you do a eradication-treatment [like interceptor] you really need to warn EVERYONE you trade or sell anything from your tank with. While you might be ok with them in your tank [if using wrasse/other `control'] ... you will likely infect everyone you trade with.

That is, unless you'd like to get a bad local reputation for dealing with pest-ridden corals.

If I got them again, I'd do the treatment without any concerns [except following the recommendations + not overdosing/under-w/c-ing].

Canarygirl 12/14/2007 12:07 PM

Yep, I definitely tell everyone that wants frags from me that the tank has RB.

MiddletonMark 12/14/2007 01:47 PM

Kudos to you, Canarygirl :D

delsol650 12/14/2007 01:53 PM

YOu place the coral frag in a small tank with a handfull of Camel Shrimp.. no longer than 20-30 mins or untill the RB's are gone.. or else they WILL strip that coral clean off....

But I would rather just interceptor the whole tank, just incase you missed some in the maintank...

Horace 12/14/2007 02:54 PM

The camel shrimp thing is like a last resort for treating for AEFW. If there was an intank treatment for AEFW, I dont think anyone would even consider messing with camels. IMO you should just do interceptor and get it over with. The stuff is a joke. Ive treated my tank 3 times and never done a WC after, nor run any carbon and my tank was just fine. Interceptor is harmless.....

Canarygirl 12/14/2007 03:03 PM

Horace, what about your acro crabs and shrimps? Most people say that they lose these, at least by the 3rd treatment

MiddletonMark 12/14/2007 03:27 PM

I agree Kurt.

While Interceptor isn't free ... the cost of a qt + light + camel's is far more than carbon + interceptor. Nevermind I [i]know[/i] interceptor will work 100% effectively.

The camels are interesting, but as the difference between them eating pest + moving onto eating corals doesn't appear to be a long time ... I'd worry about coral-health if I wanted to be positive that I had 100% eradication.

IMO, far easier to set up a QT for the Interceptor-threatened inverts for a week or two + just use interceptor, then re-introduce inverts. JMO, though.

Canarygirl 12/14/2007 04:15 PM

[QUOTE]IMO, far easier to set up a QT for the Interceptor-threatened inverts for a week or two + just use interceptor, then re-introduce inverts. JMO, though.[/QUOTE]

I've thought about this but wonder about getting an acro crab out of his home and then catching my cleaner shrimps in the big display, and catching my fast moving pompom crab and catching the almost-never-seen hitchhiker mythris crab....maybe I am just too much of a worrier or too softhearted about losing animals.

mixed_reefer 12/15/2007 02:37 AM

[QUOTE][i]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11383529#post11383529 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MiddletonMark [/i]
[B]

If I got them again, I'd do the treatment without any concerns [except following the recommendations + not overdosing/under-w/c-ing]. [/B][/QUOTE]

What do you mean by this? How did you do it before and how would you do it differently?

818reefer 12/15/2007 03:21 AM

question for every body that used interceptor. do you guys do a water chage after 6 hrs. I've heard of peaple leaving it in the tank what do you guys think about that.