Reef Central Online Community Archives

Reef Central Online Community Archives (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Responsible Reefkeeping (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=225)
-   -   Protecting Hawaii's Reefs (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=752054)

andynyc 01/15/2006 11:22 PM

Protecting Hawaii's Reefs

[url]http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10791180/[/url]

Source: [url]www.msnbc.com[/url]

thehedge 01/17/2006 05:33 PM

One part of article is wrong, Governor Lingle banned all LONG-LINE fishing in waters up to 3 miles off shore...not ALL fishing. They proposed a bill to ban Deep-Sea fishing also, just several days ago.

As a Hawai resident, I do not agree with many of the laws regulating the saltwater fish industry here. Many of them are done frivilously because they think that SOMETHING must be done about the depleting fish populations in Hawaiian waters.

Now the problem is that they are not reading the true numbers. Now a report says that since 1990, the fish populations of the coast of Kona have dropped by over 40%. Now I admit that is a cause for alarm. However, what they do not mention, is that in between 1990-1995, the fish population in the same area dropped over 80%, and have been on a steady incline since. The reason for the sudden drop was in 1991 Hurricane Iniki hit, effective destroying our reefs. Reefs=fish habitats, and the fish populations declined because of that. Ever since that Hurricane, damaged reefs have shown significant signs of improvement and fish populations have been booming. Every year that passes, you can see a significant increase in populations of certain fish.

However, because of the drop in fish populations since 1990, their is much finger-pointing. They first targetted fishermen, but because of the overwhelming support against the regulations, the state regulated saltwater fish collecting, in the form of licensing and regulations. The licensing was good in my opinion, but not enforced. Not until very recently has the State been taking action against the fishermen also.

But to add insult to injury, the Department of Land and Natural Resources has proposed a bill that would BAN all saltwater fish collecting in Hawaiian waters. Now I am strictly opposed to this, as I do not blame fish collectors for any decline of fish populations. However, the DLNR is not responding to ANY comments or suggestions by saltwater fish communities.

Further more, the State still allows limestone extraction from Hawaiian reefs. This involves the use of dynamite to blast portions of the reef off to remove the limestone for use in construction of buildings. I believe this industry should be regulated more than the Saltwater fish collection industry.

However, all this that I am speaking of is the regulations around the southern Hawaiian islands that does not really pertain to this article.

The Northwestern Hawaiian Islands SHOULD be made into a protected habitat. For those of you who don't have a weak stomach, I would HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend checking out the book Archipelago, which is a picture account of what has been happening to the Northwestern Hawaiian Islands. It is very sad, as debris from the Southern, inhabited Islands have been floating up to the Norther Islands polluting a killing the birds and fish. Plus the lost nets from the fishing vessels out there are dragging on the reef, destroying the reefs.

Sorry for the long post, I had to vent a little.

GMAX 01/20/2006 04:02 PM

falling fish poulation

When I went diving in Maui my divemaster who was avid photpgrapher was very insistent that the fish population had dropped dramatically. That does not point to the cause but it does indicate a change has occurred.

bboy aqua 01/22/2006 06:17 AM

thehedge

how were u able to setup a reef tank in hawaii?
especially with the laws stopping u

thehedge 01/23/2006 04:42 PM

My current reef tank in Hawaii was started with legal LR purchased through Molokai Live Rock, and is filled with zoos, which are legal to collect, as long as not attached to LR.

I have reef tank that has several anemones, LPS, and soft corals but this tank is not in Hawaii.

Pandora 01/24/2006 07:35 PM

TheHedge, great post.

To you and others familiar with Hawaii, how do you feel about Hanama Bay? I lived on Oahu a few months as a medical student doing my rotations there (and considered a residency there). While there, I got to frequent quite a few snorkling spots on the islands, sad that the south shore is so polluted. So now, at Hanama, they charge $5 for admission and make you watch an educational movie about conservation, and stuff like why you shouldn't step on live rock when you snorkle, etc. And I know that these fees add up and that they all go towards supporting conservation efforts, etc. But it was sad how the place still ends up getting somewhat trashed by tourists, with so many people coming to this "hotspot" now. I understand it was pristine years before that, now if you go, you can barely see anything. I couldn't help but think that maybe they should at least close it off to tourism for a few years and let it build itself up again at least since it is in a protected cove, it wouldn't be that hard to enforce. Am I missing something here? Maybe it's just like fighting the tide, or at least the ongoing march of population booms & tourism...if it weren't for laws, it would only be a matter of time before the same issues started creeping towards the northern and less populated islands...

thehedge 01/24/2006 09:18 PM

Thanks for the positive comment.

I am actually not too sure what I think about Hanauma Bay. From a Conservation aspect, it would definately be better for the park to be off-limits to any people...so that the fish can live in peace. However, people are sneaking in food like peas and bread to feed the fish...as the State charges $5 for a small handful of food. I believe the health of the fish are at risk from eating non-marine foods.

At the same time, from an economical stand-point, Hanuama Bay is one of the few places in Hawaii that tourists and locals alike can enjoy a beautiful area with beautiful fish...plus many businesses in the area of Hawaii Kai are solely based on Hanauma Bay visitors...it would completely devastate the economy in that area to shut down the park.

In addition, I dont like the idea of the fee...if Hanauma Bay is going to remain open, I think it should be free so that all can view it and enjoy it as what it is, nature, and not some hokey tourist attraction like Luau's and Waikiki Beach now. The video I am kind of so-so about, it is a good video, but making it mandatory for all visitors?? I dont know about that.

Without going into a huge debate, Hawaii MUST do something to conserve the reefs, I am a huge advocate here and am in touch with all my Congressmen and officials trying to get the RIGHT laws up. Your idea of closing Hanauma Bay for a few years every so often is a GREAT idea...there are several coastal areas with alternating years of conservation and it has really worked well for wildlife populations. However, sadly, the state will never close their biggest moneymaker in the tourism industry for the sake of conservation.

bboy aqua 01/24/2006 09:24 PM

[QUOTE][i]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6567939#post6567939 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by thehedge [/i]
[B]My current reef tank in Hawaii was started with legal LR purchased through Molokai Live Rock, and is filled with zoos, which are legal to collect, as long as not attached to LR.

I have reef tank that has several anemones, LPS, and soft corals but this tank is not in Hawaii. [/B][/QUOTE]

Where exactly can u collect zoos In Hawaii?
Also Im interested in the zoos u have and if u could donate some that would be nice

I just got my pc's so I think it should be bright enough for some zoos

thehedge 01/25/2006 03:44 PM

Zoos are all over the place. Do you go diving, even snorkeling? I think just about any area on the North, West, or East shore have them in abundance...for some reason, I dont find much on the south shore unless you go out to the outer reef areas on a boat.

If you are an experienced diver, Lanai Lookout has some of the most beautiful zoos I have ever seen, even compared to pictures I see online, like one zoo, a quite large colony, you can see from like 15 feet away, with its lime green rim and bright red middle. However I have not collected this one yet, because I personally have an issue with ripping them off the rock. I only collect the zoos that I find loose.

Most of the nicer zoos are found in shallower waters like 5-10 feet deep, and as you go out deeper, you will find more drab, "faded" colors...as I would call it. However, I know after putting them in my MH lighting, they turn bright pink and purple after several months.

The place I usually dive is on private property, a friends property, so I cannot suggest this place to dive.

Also for some reason, I find more during Winter, so right about now is the best time to dive, but I haven't been out for over a month now...so I cannot say for sure that this year is the same.

In addition, you canfind some unusual zoos reef walking on the North Shore, there is this Pitch Black zoo that is darker than lava rock with these fluorescent green dots in the center...I haven't seen another one like it...and I find it in little crevices in the rock. Bring a flashlight with you, even in the day time, as they are very hard to see without it.

RGBMatt 01/27/2006 01:31 AM

[QUOTE][i]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6523275#post6523275 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by thehedge [/i]
[B]But to add insult to injury, the Department of Land and Natural Resources has proposed a bill that would BAN all saltwater fish collecting in Hawaiian waters. Now I am strictly opposed to this, as I do not blame fish collectors for any decline of fish populations. However, the DLNR is not responding to ANY comments or suggestions by saltwater fish communities. [/B][/QUOTE]

Where did you learn this? As somebody who very much enjoys collecting fish here, I'd love to know more about this proposed bill.

Fish collectors aren't perfect, but the way people like to use us as scapegoats for other people's problems is pretty infuriating.

Grandis 01/30/2006 01:13 AM

Nice to see many from Hawaii around here.

Could you please give more detail info about the sites to collect the zoas? Where at North Shore? I would love to see the black one and many others. It´s really hard to find them around South Shore.
Do you have pictures of them? It would be great to see legal Hawaiian reef tanks!

Could you let us know how to get the "Molokai Live Rock". It would be great if we could ge some instead having to make cement rocks for future tanks.

Aloha,
Grandis.:D

RGBMatt 01/30/2006 03:41 AM

Zoanthids are very common in shallow water all around the island. Try snorkeling in 2-6 feet of water and see what you can spot - I find they're most plentiful in areas of heavy wave action.

Never tried collecting zoas myself, though - it's not my area of interest.

[i]Sinularia[/i] leather coral might also be fun to try keeping, and I imagine it's legal to harvest if you can remove it from the rock. Has anybody tried this?

Grandis 01/30/2006 12:26 PM

It must have specific areas where we could find more than others.
Where do you find Sinularia in Oahu? Do we have to dive for it or just snorkeling will do?
Grandis.

RGBMatt 01/30/2006 12:59 PM

Sinularia tends to be found in turbulent rocky areas, between 30' and 60'. If you're a good freediver you could probably collect some snorkelling, but tank diving would be better to ensure you didn't damage the colony.

mcontemp 01/31/2006 11:15 AM

Finally some fellow reefers in Hawaii. I will be moving to Oahu in July and was getting discouraged because no-one had any info for me. I have been reading some of the local laws and I know fish is okay and even sand collecting (limited to daily quantities) is okay. The biggest problem is the locals don't take to kind to people who take stuff from the waters of Hawaii.
Was wondering if there were any fish stores available to the public you can recommend in Oahu or internet companies that will ship to Hawaii.

I agree with you as well in reference to Hanauma...I go every year to vist my parents for vacation and it seems that the sea life becomes more and more scarce every couple years. They should close it to the public for a little while.

dwiseman 01/31/2006 12:58 PM

My wife and I are leaving for Maui on Feb 17th an d was wondering if there are any legal fish stores on the island. If I did buy something legally on the island would they let me leave the island with it?

thehedge 01/31/2006 03:36 PM

RGBMatt: I read the article in the Honolulu Advertiser regarding the fish collecting limitations that the DLNR is proposing. I am fully against this Bill, and it is set t enter the State Senate for the 2007 Legislative session from what I have heard. I am going to fight it...I was hoping to eventually put together a petition, but until it gets into Bill format, I cannot put together a petition. Because State law requires that any signers of a petition must receive a copy of the Bill they are signing against in order for it to be valid. I expect them to formally announce the Bill sometime in October.

Also, where are you finding this Sinularia? Are you sure it is Sinularia you see? I am not aware of any spots on Oahu with Sinularia.

Grandis: Sent you a PM with a few tips on finding them. RGBMatt described it pretty well. The majority of the nice ones are in shallower than 10ft.

mcontemp: There are many people who don't like people collecting from the ocean. However, if you show respect for them and the land, then they are usually ok with it. One of my dive spots is at a park where many Hawaiians (mostly the ones who get upset about collecting) have picnics and such. Just make sure you dont take a lot at a time, as they will get upset because you would obviously be taking more than you need. And also be friendly. Eventhough it is public land, you must show that you understand that they have respect for the land and that you respect thier opinions. They are very nice people and have even invited me and friends to some of their picnics to eat after a long days of diving.

dwiseman: Modern Pet Center is the ONLY LFS that I could recommend...as they do not practice nor support "destructive reef collectors". You know, as for leaving the island with things you buy, it is really up in the air. Technically, as long as the state you are traveling to doesnt have any regulations against it, you should be allowed to. However, Hawaii Agriculture has been known to confiscate animals leaving the state. So its really a risk.

CorbetJackson50 01/31/2006 07:46 PM

am i reading this post correctly that you may collect zoa's in hawaii, if so do you need a permit? I know they must be unatatched to rock.

mcontemp 02/02/2006 12:50 PM

Thanks "thehedge" I'll keep that in mind!

mcontemp 02/02/2006 12:51 PM

"CorbetJackson50".....you have to have a fishing license to collect anything from the waters of Hawaii.

thehedge 02/02/2006 02:16 PM

Sorry Corbet, I didn't see your post there. It is actually called an Ornamental Fish Collection License....it covers inverts too.

RGBMatt 02/04/2006 03:27 AM

[QUOTE][i]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6649455#post6649455 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mcontemp [/i]
[B]"CorbetJackson50".....you have to have a fishing license to collect anything from the waters of Hawaii. [/B][/QUOTE]

No, actually you don't. No license is required for taking marine life for non-commercial purposes (not counting restricted stuff like coral).

For collecting fish, a "recreational aquarium collecting permit" is generally required. However, this permit really allows the use of fine mesh barrier nets and fish traps - if you are able to catch marine animals without using them then technically you don't need the permit.

So, as long as you aren't using barrier nets, don't plan on selling the things you collect, and don't plan on taking any live rock/coral, then you don't need to worry about a permit.

[quote]RGBMatt: I read the article in the Honolulu Advertiser regarding the fish collecting limitations that the DLNR is proposing.[/quote]

Do you have a link to this article? I remember reading something in the Advertiser last fall, but it didn't say anything about closing the fishery.

[quote]Also, where are you finding this Sinularia? Are you sure it is Sinularia you see? I am not aware of any spots on Oahu with Sinularia. [/quote]

It's around. Hawaii has one species of Sinularia - it looks like a rubbery version of finger coral. It's not too common though, so it's probably best to leave it on the reef if you see it.

[quote]My wife and I are leaving for Maui on Feb 17th an d was wondering if there are any legal fish stores on the island. If I did buy something legally on the island would they let me leave the island with it?[/quote]

I'm not familiar with Maui, but you can probably find aquarium shops over there by looking in the phone book. You should be able to leave the island with fish, as long as they're properly packed (a good fish store ought to do this for you). There are few restrictions on importing/exporting marine specimens so you should run into minimal hassles.

[quote]I have been reading some of the local laws and I know fish is okay and even sand collecting (limited to daily quantities) is okay. The biggest problem is the locals don't take to kind to people who take stuff from the waters of Hawaii. [/quote]

I've never had people complain when I've gone fish collecting. Usually they're curious, think the fish are cute, and ask questions about what they eat, how big they'll get, etc. Most locals enjoy fishing and are friendly enough unless you have a rude attitude.

[quote]Was wondering if there were any fish stores available to the public you can recommend in Oahu or internet companies that will ship to Hawaii.[/quote]

Modern Pet is very good, as some have mentioned. Make sure to look carefully before you buy anything though, because some of their fish are a little messed up! Coral Fish Hawaii is OK too, but I'm not too fond of the staff.

thehedge 02/06/2006 03:47 PM

RGBMatt, there are a several items in your above post that are incorrect.

First, a license is REQUIRED to collect any fish for Aquariums. According to the Department of Land and Natural Resources: [url]http://www.hawaii.gov/dlnr/dar/licenses.htm[/url]

"10) Aquarium Permit - required for any person to use fine mesh net for collecting aquatic life for an aquarium. Report required if commercial. HRS §188-31."

This does not limit it to ONLY barrier nets or fish traps.

Second, you say that "There are few restrictions on importing/exporting marine specimens so you should run into minimal hassles." That is completely incorrect, as Hawaii has the STRICTEST regulations for at least importation of marine animals. Exportation is supposedly lax with the Department of Land and Natural Resources, but the State Department of Agriculture who conduct the Agricultural inspections of ALL outgoing baggage at the Honolulu Airport, does not necessarily allow all exportation.

In addition, the reason I am asking about the Sinularia isn't to collect it, but because it was my impression, based on my years of diving, that there are no Sinularia species in Hawaii. So I contacted the Bishop Museum, who notates all items, native or not, found in Hawaiian waters and the Waikiki Aquarium, and both said that they are not aware of Sinularia in Hawaii. So if, in fact, you have seen it, I would report it to the DLNR.

Also, now this is just personal opinion, but I would only purchase fish from Modern Pet Center and not Coral Fish Hawaii, as Coral Fish Hawaii purchases fish from several collectors that use Cyanide to catch their fish, and promote the use of several destructive reef collecting techniques that I personally do not condone. Modern Pet Center ONLY purchases fish from collectors who use hand nets to collect their fish. They also question any deep-divers regarding their decompression techniques. Sure the fish end up being more expensive, but the quality and health of the fish are #1 importance to me.

Furthermore, I am actually fairly offended by your post:
"I've never had people complain when I've gone fish collecting. Usually they're curious, think the fish are cute, and ask questions about what they eat, how big they'll get, etc. Most locals enjoy fishing and are friendly enough unless you have a rude attitude."

Yes, locals enjoy fishing, as fishing is a pasttime of the Hawaiian people. But what you dont know, are that several species of fish that are readily collected for the Aquarium Trade are considered sacred. My post above was to make sure that you and everyone else acknowledge respect for the land and the ocean and especially the locals. Now I can go on and on about this, but I wont. If you or anyone else wants information regarding this, then I will be happy to share.

I am sorry if this post sounds hostile, but there are certain subjects that you brought up, that being a person who has lived in Hawaii all my life, do not find respectful.

RGBMatt 02/07/2006 06:38 AM

[QUOTE][i]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6679509#post6679509 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by thehedge [/i]
"10) Aquarium Permit - required for any person to use fine mesh net for collecting aquatic life for an aquarium. Report required if commercial. HRS §188-31."[/quote]

Note the "fine mesh net" part of the above clause - that's technically what the permit allows. Otherwise, nets must have a minimum 2 3/4" mesh size. As far as I know, activities like picking hermit crabs off rocks or scooping fish from tidepools don't require permits, as long as it's not for commercial purposes.

Most of us will end up using these nets when catching fish, so getting an aquarium permit is a matter of course.

[quote]Second, you say that "There are few restrictions on importing/exporting marine specimens so you should run into minimal hassles." That is completely incorrect, as Hawaii has the STRICTEST regulations for at least importation of marine animals. [/quote]

I am speaking from the experiences of people I know who have shipped fish (and other animals) to the mainland or taken them on planes. Nobody I know who has tried to take fish home with them has run into trouble. There are likely to be exceptions, of course.

But you are right - importing is not as easy. Typing "importing/exporting" was a mistake on my part.

[quote]In addition, the reason I am asking about the Sinularia isn't to collect it, but because it was my impression, based on my years of diving, that there are no Sinularia species in Hawaii. So I contacted the Bishop Museum, who notates all items, native or not, found in Hawaiian waters and the Waikiki Aquarium, and both said that they are not aware of Sinularia in Hawaii. So if, in fact, you have seen it, I would report it to the DLNR. [/quote]

Either the people you spoke to at the aquarium & museum were misinformed, or the coral in question has changed names recently (not unlikely). It's generally believed to be native and has been reported from Hawaii for quite some time.

Pictures can be found in John Hoover's "Hawaii's sea creatures" book, and here:

[url]http://www.coralreefnetwork.com/stender/marine/cnidaria/cnidaria.htm[/url]

You can see it at 30-50' or so near Halona Blowhole and various other spots with similar habitat. It does look similar to some Porites corals, however, so it's easy to miss if you're not looking for it.

[quote]Also, now this is just personal opinion, but I would only purchase fish from Modern Pet Center and not Coral Fish Hawaii, as Coral Fish Hawaii purchases fish from several collectors that use Cyanide to catch their fish, and promote the use of several destructive reef collecting techniques that I personally do not condone. [/quote]

Can you elaborate? I'm curious about the collecting techniques you're referring to. I don't know of any Hawaiian collectors who use cyanide - are these cyanide-collected fish from here or elsewhere?

I do know that I've seen feather duster worms for sale at both shops. Collecting these usually involves breaking up coral and I'd be surprised if all of Modern Pet's feather dusters were collected ethically. I have also seen species offered for sale at both stores that are supposed to be restricted.

[quote]Furthermore, I am actually fairly offended by your post...[/quote]

How on earth can you be offended by that? Saying that people have been friendly to me after collecting fish? I'm sorry, but I don't see what your problem is.

I like to think that I respect the ocean and the people I meet when I go there. This may or may not come across when typing stuff on the Internet to people whom I don't know.

[quote]But what you dont know, are that several species of fish that are readily collected for the Aquarium Trade are considered sacred. My post above was to make sure that you and everyone else acknowledge respect for the land and the ocean and especially the locals. Now I can go on and on about this, but I wont. If you or anyone else wants information regarding this, then I will be happy to share. [/QUOTE]

Please do. I haven't heard concerns about culturally important fish being collected but it would be interesting to know more.

thehedge 02/07/2006 03:33 PM

I just got off the phone with the DLNR and they said ANY collection of marine animals for the purpose of putting them into recreational aquariums requires a permit. Now I understand that the DLNR doesn't give the most uniform answers but that thas been the general consensus from the people that I have talked to.

I see that we agree with the importation of animals into Hawaii, but as for the exportation...I know that several species native to Hawaii is ok to remove from Hawaii by plane, but many species from the South Pacific are confiscated by the Dept of Agriculture unless you can prove that it was legally purchased and inspected upon arrival to Hawaii. Because this proof is nearly impossible to receive, they just tend to be confiscated. I have heard several cases of exportation problems with wrasses especially.

As for the Sinularia, I will need to check John Hoover's book when I get home. I do know him personally so I can ask him regarding it when he comes back from a trip to the mainland. However, I dont find Keoki Stender's site the most accurate as to his ID process as he has misidentified certain species several times. Mostly with snails or nudi's, although this would be the first coral that may be misidentified. However, I am inclined to believe the responses from the Waikiki Aquarium and Bishop Museum as the people I have spoke to have proven to be trusted resources to me in the past.

By Destructive Reef Collecting, I dont necessarily include removal of feather dusters from rock...although I personally wouldn't do it. However, I believe that most of the featherdusters sold are from Pearl Harbor where they just strew over the ground and aren't actually in the rock. But then again, that is why I wont purchase a featherduster from either of them because Pearl Harbor has some pretty nasty toxins in the water...that I don't want in my fish tank. I am generally talking about the use of Cyanide and explosives to destroy the reef. There actually are several fish collectors that use Cyanide to collect fish in Hawaii, however I will not name names. And when I refer to Coral Fish purchasing Cyanide caught fish, the majority of them are not from Hawaii. Furthermore, Modern makes sure that any fish purchased have gone through proper decompression. Coral Fish purchases fish that have been poked with a needle to decompress. There are few scientific studies as to detrimental impact of this, but it is well-known to fish collectors that proper decompression is necessary. If you look at several deep-sea angels and other fish at Coral Fish, you can sometimes see the hole where a needle was inserted for decompression. Now I understand that Modern and Coral Fish both have a reputation of selling illegal species...however, after Modern was cited for possession of Xenia, I have not heard of them selling prohibited species.

The reason I was offended by your post was because mcontemp was completely correct in his comment. There are many locals who are upset by the rampant fish collecting in Hawaii. I am one of them. I mean, you see how many species are collected from Hawaii that are sold on the mainland and around the World. It is a small place (Hawaii) supplying the entire US. Now I am not saying that it should be restricted or anything...but I see so many fish collectors here that have their eyes on the money and not about the land. I have been on several dives where I see divers using a knife to scrape an entire colony of beautiful zoos off the rock....or others who use the "fish vacuum", basically a vacuum cleaner that sucks up water into a mesh net carrier in the back to capture the fish. This machine basically kills fish in the long-run because of the stress that it puts the fish through. I was offended, maybe because I am slightly over sensitive about the subject, but because it sounded like you are saying that locals don't care about about what you are collecting. I personally want people to have fun in Hawaii and enjoy the ocean, and collect what they want for themselves, keeping in mind that not every person around them appreciates what they are doing...and that showing that they are collecting these fish for themselves but with the proper respect for the land. I try to employ proper habits about fish collecting, but I know that many do not.

As for the "sacred" fish, there are several fish that are collected for the aquarium trade and consumption. Many of them are fish for consumption, like Moi. As the fish is supposed to be caught in a certain way and to be prepared for in a certain way. Now I admit, that I am not too familiar with the procedure on Moi, but it is an example. One fish in particular that is considered sacred is the Dragon Wrasse. There is a Hawaiian legend that actually depicts the Dragon Wrasse as an embodied form of one of their gods. If you go to the Bishop Museum and look in their Hawaiian artifacts you can see pictures of the Dragon Wrasse in several items. I learned about this because one day I collected a Dragon Wrasse and a person at my usual dive spot, who I became friends with, told me that I should not show the other people this fish. I asked why, so he told me. Many of the locals know that people are out there to collect fish, sometimes employing non-respectful techniques, but what can they really do. It is like, what they cannot see won't hurt them.

This is just a sensitive subject to me, so please excuse me if I over-reacted a bit.