Reef Central Online Community Archives

Reef Central Online Community Archives (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   SPS Keepers (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   Info on potassium permanganate (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1232811)

lecher 10/20/2007 06:50 PM

Info on potassium permanganate

I have a Montipora tuberculosa and a Montipora crassituberculata, that I recently ordered, in a quarantine tank. Tonight I have discovered 3 nudis on the Montipora tuberculosa. I would like any info on potassium permanganate; like the use of, mix ratio, length of time to dip, where to purchase, how safe is it on the corals, effectiveness, etc. I have tried a search and wasn't able to find any useful info.

Thanks,
Rob

lecher 10/20/2007 07:58 PM

I finally found this article, if anyone else needs info.

[url]http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-09/eb/index.php[/url]

I'd still like to hear from anyone who has used this treatment.

Thanks

kev apsley 10/20/2007 08:00 PM

hope this helps..

[url]http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-09/eb/index.php[/url]

kev apsley 10/20/2007 08:06 PM

[url]http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1202460&highlight=garlic[/url]

lecher 10/20/2007 08:22 PM

Did you use the treatment? If so, how did it go?

jmaneyapanda 10/20/2007 08:57 PM

Ive used Kmno4 on other aquaculture subjects (koi), and it is very indiscriminant. I would only use it with MUCH caution. I would stick to fluke tabs.

Amphiprion 10/20/2007 09:39 PM

Works great in chemical reactions :P, especially when heated. IMHO, it should stay for reactions only--I don't think it has a place in aquaria.

Marko9 10/20/2007 10:38 PM

[QUOTE][i]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11016767#post11016767 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Amphiprion [/i]
[B]Works great in chemical reactions :P, especially when heated. IMHO, it should stay for reactions only--I don't think it has a place in aquaria. [/B][/QUOTE]

It has been used for years for the removal of fresh water snails.
Also, it is the main ingredient in Rock prep by kent.

Amphiprion 10/20/2007 10:41 PM

[QUOTE][i]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11017115#post11017115 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Marko9 [/i]
[B]It has been used for years for the removal of fresh water snails.
Also, it is the main ingredient in Rock prep by kent. [/B][/QUOTE]

I rest my case :)

sfsuphysics 10/20/2007 11:26 PM

Use it only in a vessel of water you are prepared to toss out following treatment, it's not meant for an in-QT type of treatment, more of a "dip" if you will. That and read the article :D

Good stuff if you ask me, however measuring out that little of an amount might be problematic, I'd suggest making a really saturated version, and then diluting it by using an eye dropped to put into a vessel of liquid.

kev apsley 10/21/2007 07:32 AM

yes, I would error on the side of caution when using PP since we're charting new territory. I would also just do a quick dip and make sure the eggs are removed

lecher 10/21/2007 10:42 AM

[QUOTE][i]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11016507#post11016507 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jmaneyapanda [/i]
[B]Ive used Kmno4 on other aquaculture subjects (koi), and it is very indiscriminant. I would only use it with MUCH caution. I would stick to fluke tabs. [/B][/QUOTE]

Do fluke tabs work for Nudibranchs? I know they kill flatworms, but since they are really mollusks, I was not aware of them working on nudis too.

wentreefgirl 10/21/2007 05:36 PM

Nope.

lecher 10/21/2007 07:17 PM

Wentreefgirl, have you used potassium permanganate for nudis? Did it work and did the coral survive the treatment? It seems that very few people have actually used for nudi treatment. Looking for feedback from people who have used it.

sfsuphysics 10/21/2007 08:58 PM

I've used the treatment as a "pre-dip" before even seeing the nudibranchs, in the same way you'd do an iodine dip. The corals did survive, however I can't comment on the ability to kill nudis since I didn't see any "fleeing" as mentioned in the article.

lecher 10/21/2007 09:35 PM

[QUOTE][i]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11022572#post11022572 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sfsuphysics [/i]
[B]I've used the treatment as a "pre-dip" before even seeing the nudibranchs, in the same way you'd do an iodine dip. The corals did survive, however I can't comment on the ability to kill nudis since I didn't see any "fleeing" as mentioned in the article. [/B][/QUOTE]

What concentration of solution and length of time did you use?

Thanks

madmac 10/21/2007 11:19 PM

50 ppm and AEFW die. I tested it on a few worms, isolated and the effect is visual, within a min. At 30 ppm, they looked still looked at ease... i didn't want to wait to see what happened, I jus upped the dosage. It wasn't any extensive test, as I was doing an out-tank treatment for AEFW on Salifert's FWE and TMPCC then, and wanted to finish the day.

You could test for it out for yourself, only use a very white base bowl. At my 50 ppm, and 1/5 inch deep, the FWs are barely visible.

I did dip entire rocks under PP, some portions of the solution did touch on the base of the corals, no loss of colour observed. Coraline survived and so did some pest xenia. The rocks were rinsed in clean salt before returning.

wentreefgirl 10/22/2007 05:25 AM

The only thing i ever have seen in my tank is red bugs. But I do follow all the threads for all other pests. So far the pp works the best. Although didnt know that it works on afw now. Cool. Less bottles for me to keep around. All the articles ive seen the coral survived best in pp then in the fluke tabs and the prazquentel. And of course the other stuff used in afw. Oh and levamsole is devastating in some cases with the corals. So this is great breakthrough.

wentreefgirl 10/22/2007 05:47 AM

Where did you find your pp. Was it the heavy duty stuff or like live rock cure?

lecher 10/22/2007 07:33 AM

I have not bought any yet. I have been closely examining both pieces several times a day and have not seen any more nudis or egg masses(never saw those) since the 3 I found. But I will prob. dip them before I move them to the display just to make sure.

Serioussnaps 10/22/2007 12:10 PM

Trying to find an easy fix? Good luck!

I say get a QT tank, a toothbrush, and some TMPCC and put in some work.

lecher 10/22/2007 07:25 PM

[QUOTE][i]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11025990#post11025990 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Serioussnaps [/i]
[B]Trying to find an easy fix? Good luck!

I say get a QT tank, a toothbrush, and some TMPCC and put in some work. [/B][/QUOTE]

Easy Fix? No, I am exploring options for eliminating, what has proven to be , a very stubborn pest. Thus the reason for asking questions. The only reason I am even considering the treatment is b/c of the article by someone who I consider to be a well respected author/aquarist. Even though some have him on a ridiculous witch hunt. And I do have a QT tank as I stated in the very first post. EVERYTHING wet that goes in my tank gets QT for 4-6 weeks. Only thru close observation in QT was I able to find the nudis b/c the coral was not even showing signs of disease. I do not take things that go into my tank lightly. I appreciate all the posts I have gotten thus far and would welcome any new ones.

Thanks

tanya72806 12/08/2007 11:04 PM

TTT

RedSonja 01/07/2008 10:28 AM

[QUOTE][i]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11021642#post11021642 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by lecher [/i]
[B]Wentreefgirl, have you used potassium permanganate for nudis? Did it work and did the coral survive the treatment? It seems that very few people have actually used for nudi treatment. Looking for feedback from people who have used it. [/B][/QUOTE]

I've used KMNO3 on zoa-eating nudi's at lower doses than Eric Borneman used to kill monti-eating nudi's, at his advice. It killed nudi's and eggs w/o killing any zoas in my tests. I used 25mg/liter for 90 minutes heavily aerated then several rinses with SW before returning zoas to the tank. I can't comment on the process for SPS-eating nudi's but that's my experience on zoa-eaters.

-Sonja