Reef Central Online Community Archives

Reef Central Online Community Archives (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   New to the Hobby (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=104)
-   -   jumping diamond goby (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=868231)

Kurt03 06/18/2006 05:08 AM

jumping diamond goby

How big of jumpers are these guys? my tank is prob 90-95% covered but i just woke up to a noise that sounded like a fish out of the water. At least thats the first thing that came to mind. Ive been looking inside and outside of the tank and cant find him anywhere. If he did jump out it would have to be at the back of the tank and then he would have fallen behind the dresser the tank is sitting on. It is as close to the wall as it can go so it is near impossible to even see behind, anyone have any suggestions on how i can see if hes back there or how i can at least get him out from behind there?
Thanks

cattfish 06/18/2006 08:20 AM

We had a zebra dart goby and he was so happy in our tank but just last week he decided he had had enough and jumped through the smallest opening you can imagine. The top cover glass has the corners cut so you can lift it. I didn't think this would be a problem at all but it was. And now he has gone :( He was my favorite. They can find the smallest openings and shoot through them. Kamakazi !!!!

Gary Majchrzak 06/18/2006 08:44 AM

The Diamond Goby is a well known jumper.
You might be able to spot him behind the aquarium if you use a mirror.

Kurt03 06/18/2006 11:47 AM

I tried to use the mirror but theres just not enough room. the lights are on the tank and i still havent seen him so im guessing he did jump :/ Now how am i going to get him out from behind the tank? I have tried using a long skinny pieace of plastic to try and get anything out from behind there and havent gotten him. Ive looked behind there several times and havent been able to see him. I keep thinking maybe he will just show up and he was hiding but he was out alot yesterday and havent seen him yet today. I only have like a inch between the dresser and the wall so let me know any other suggestions on getting things out from behind there.

Paintbug 06/18/2006 11:53 AM

i though diamond gobies stayed on the sand? i have a pink spotted goby, i dont think hes seen the top 6 inches of the tank since i have had him. but its possible for any fish to decide to jump. i had a blenny jump out no to long ago. i just use my net to get him out from behind the tank. i have a real long net though.

Kurt03 06/18/2006 12:05 PM

hmm i might give that a try. Yea he was on the sand almost all day. Then later in the evening he was kinda swiming in the middle of the tank checking out his new home. He didnt stay up there long though and always went back onto the sand. Sadly i didnt even think about the small opening on the back off my tank untill i heard the noise :(

Kurt03 06/18/2006 01:35 PM

they wouldnt possibley hide them selves burried on the sand could they? ive looked behind the tank forever and cant see him. checked the over flow, sump and fuge too.

Sk8r 06/18/2006 01:49 PM

Diamonds do dig. He might be under your rockwork. Don't give up yet.

Particularly put egg crate [lighting dept, Lowe's] over areas of upwelling near inflows. A lot of jumpers do so because they like to ride a current. If the current goes up, they go up too enthusiastically, and they're flying.

Kurt03 06/18/2006 02:10 PM

should i move some rocks to make sure hes not traped? if he is stuck under a rock and dies how big of a spike will this cause in my 55? i have around 50lbs rock right now css220 and a fuge. I ask because im leaving for vacation soon :o

fishii 07/17/2006 01:30 AM

How to find a missing goby...

Wow, I can't believe I'm not the only one! I just bought a big DIAMOND GOBY, and had a similar situation! I had covered the tank, leaving only a small hole -- I couldn't believe that the 4 inch Goby had escaped through that hole! Anyway, I figured a good way to "see" behind the stand/cabinet that the tank is on-- I used my digital camera and took lots of pictures of the floor behind it with the flash on. I couldn't see anything on the camera's screen, but when the pictures came out, they were bright and clear. I thought I saw something that could have been the fish. So I had to put it on full zoom and repeat the process. I finally had the evidence, and solved the mystery of the missing fish. Good luck, and let me know how it goes!

fishii 07/17/2006 01:55 AM

Pictures of Missing Goby...

OK, just figured out how to post pics. Here's the pic of the missing fish, and the hole he jumped through. Like I was saying, the picture was taken in almost complete darkness behind the cabinet. [IMG]http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l199/bjishii/DSC01156.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l199/bjishii/DSC01154.jpg[/IMG]

Kurt03 07/17/2006 09:38 AM

thats a great idea, poor guy. Are you going to get another one?

lookout888 07/17/2006 10:04 AM

I had 4 of theses guys,

Goby #1 = Jumped out the back of the canopy.
Resolution = cover the back with screen

Goby #2 = in over flow
Resolution = Used a Dorson pipe so if they do go in they can swim and give them time for me to get them out.

Goby #3 = on the glass cross brace (110 oceanic tank) fried himself under 720 watts of light.
Resolution..... Still trying to find one.

Goby #4 = expensive green carpet food.

They where all the diamond goby's, great fish awesome personality but hates my tank.

Mike

falco 07/17/2006 10:04 AM

I had a diamond goby and he jumped. We still ponder over how he got out. The top of my tank is pretty much completely covered and I have a canopy. I found him a week later almost 10 feet away from the tank under my base board heater. Still have not replaced him because of all these stories.