Reef Central Online Community Archives

Reef Central Online Community Archives (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   New to the Hobby (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=104)
-   -   Our Tbs (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=665451)

gregt 09/08/2005 02:39 PM

This thread was automatically split due to performance issues. You can find the rest of the thread here: [url]http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=5673369#post5673369[/url]

dwculp 09/08/2005 02:39 PM

Ill send a check or MO for shipping costs also!!

greenbean36191 09/08/2005 02:48 PM

[quote]Is there a particular kind of alcohol that is less damaging to the baby? (I know it is going to die, just want to preserve the body the best). Rubbing alcohol?[/quote]
Ideally you want ethanol in the highest percentage you can get (a reason to hit up the liquor store :)). Rubbing alcohol should work just for short term to preserve enough detail to tell if they are veligers or crawling larvae. You could also use formalin instead if you have it.

drk70 09/08/2005 02:51 PM

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by dwculp [/i]
[B]Ill send a check or MO for shipping costs also!! [/B][/QUOTE]
Sent you a PM.

bobt2 09/08/2005 03:06 PM

we split again, is this some sort of r/c record ?

patsan 09/08/2005 03:33 PM

Is Dennis the new frag man? :D

Sally, I think my skimmer went nuts because when I turned the vacuum off, I squeezed the bag to get out any water before removing it from the sump, so I wouldn't spill water all over. When I squeezed it, dirty water was flowing thru it into the sump, and for whatever reason, the skimmer went crazy.
It only took about an hour for it to all clear up. I'll just remember next time to turn the skimmer off when I vacuum the sump.

lossman 09/08/2005 03:37 PM

Pat, I just keep a towel by the tank so when I am ready to take the vacuum out, I rest the bag on the towel to get it to the sink. I figured I just went to all the trouble to get that gunk out, no sense letting any of it back in!! :)

DiverDownBrian 09/08/2005 04:42 PM

Another hitchhiker from my TBS Keys rock:

[IMG]http://ricker.gotdns.org/aquarium/bristleworm%201%209-8.jpg[/IMG]

patsan 09/08/2005 05:09 PM

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by DiverDownBrian [/i]
[B]Another hitchhiker from my TBS Keys rock:

[IMG]http://ricker.gotdns.org/aquarium/bristleworm%201%209-8.jpg[/IMG] [/B][/QUOTE]

Whoa! What is that?

BrianPlankis 09/08/2005 05:29 PM

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by patsan [/i]
[B]Whoa! What is that? [/B][/QUOTE]

Either a bristleworm(good) or fireworm(bad), whatever it is, sure is pretty.

Nice picture Brian!

Brian

greenbean36191 09/08/2005 09:27 PM

It's a bristleworm AND a fireworm. Bristleworms covers all polychaetes. Fireworms are a family of polychaetes (Amphinomidae), all of which except H. carunculata are good guys. They are the ones with the calcium bristles that most people think of as typical bristleworms.

This guy looks like it may actually be the infamous but rare H. carunculata which feeds on corals. Have a close look at the head. If there is a little tuft of red hair on it then you got the bad guy and you need to pull it. It actually looks like the caruncle (the tuft of hair) is visible on the end to the left.

Here is a picture to that shows the caruncle you're looking for (the thing in the center of the head). [url]http://members.cox.net/boonilsson/Fireworm_256-20.jpg[/url]

lossman 09/09/2005 06:01 AM

Great picture, greenbean!!! When we had a worm in our tank that I was unsure of, I searched high and low for a picture that would definitely show me if it was the bad or good one. Couldn't find one. Luckily, Harley took care of that worm for me!! What a good little fish he has turned out to be!!! :)

greenbean36191 09/09/2005 07:16 AM

That's not my picture. I just found it on google. That's why it's in a link and not embedded.

patsan 09/09/2005 11:48 AM

Well, I'd say I don't have any bristle worms or fireworms because I have never seen anything like that before!

BrianPlankis 09/09/2005 12:03 PM

Pat,

I would be VERY suprised if you don't have any bristleworms, unless you have fish/shrimp in both tanks that are predators of them. Most bristleworms move around after dark so people rarely see them.

Brian

patsan 09/09/2005 12:07 PM

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by CirolanidHunter [/i]
[B]Pat,
I would be VERY suprised if you don't have any bristleworms, unless you have fish/shrimp in both tanks that are predators of them. Most bristleworms move around after dark so people rarely see them.
Brian [/B][/QUOTE]
I saw a worm in the TBS tank that I thought was a bristle worm. It comes out when I fed the tank each morning. I haven't seen it on a few weeks though. But it certainly didn't look like that picture! Mine was more or less regular earth worm color, except it had bristles on the sides....almost like the worms I used to use when I went fishing.

greenbean36191 09/09/2005 12:15 PM

That would be a bristleworm. Most of the worms in your tank, including featherdusters are bristleworms.

bobt2 09/09/2005 12:50 PM

pat, i have them in my tbs tank

patsan 09/09/2005 12:54 PM

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by bobt2 [/i]
[B]pat, i have them in my tbs tank [/B][/QUOTE]
I think everyone does. I just don't see many of them. I have NEVER seen anything like that fireworm either.:eek1:

dwculp 09/09/2005 01:09 PM

It is amazing what lives in our tanks that we never see. I have only ever seen one bristleworm and that was a fleeting glimpse, another time (only a couple of weekes ago) there was a large brittle star sitting out on the rocks, lifted his leg andf released a bunch of little white orbs into the water and then when back into the rocks. Never seen him before and never seen him since.

Yesterday I saw my "ghost shrimp" he was sitting in a cave, he was about in inch long and 100% transparent. I see him once every few months. In the almost one year of having the tank I have seen it only 3-4 times.

Amazing.

bobt2 09/09/2005 01:20 PM

6 months into the tank i've yet to see a pistol and the clicking is getting less

dwculp 09/09/2005 01:22 PM

Oh yeah, thats another thing. I have a pictol shrimp in there since day one. I hear the clicking (though a lot less now) and I have never seen him.

bobt2 09/09/2005 01:37 PM

exactly!

lossman 09/09/2005 01:42 PM

We have at least one pistol shrimp. I used to be able to see it or parts of it as it quickly went through the open cave area under the rocks. Since the pistol(s) filled that area in, we never see it....just hear it's clicking and see the new mounds of sand it makes every few days or so. :)

dwculp 09/09/2005 07:02 PM

Well, I spoke too soon, about 5 minutes after posting my last message I went over to the tank and there in a cave I saw my little "ghost" shrimp. His beady eyes looking out and swaying in the current. I call him my ghost shrimp because he is so hard to see that you almost wonder if you are really seeing a little shrimp. Then in the back of the cave, barely visable was a yelloish claw with a black stripe on it, it slowly faded into the dark.

By the way, my brown crud is back :(